Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting ready to visit NH - What can you tell me about these towns?  (Read 5742 times)

motoracer51

Well, I'm sure some of you have read my original post.  I figured I'd start another thread to see what people can say about the following towns which we've found properties that fit our criteria.  I'll admit that other than the required acreage and house size, I really know nothing about these towns since we haven't visited yet, but was hoping to maybe get some info before we head out there, just so we know if we should forget about certain prospects.

Here are the towns I've found what I'm looking for in:

Ashland
Bradford
Brookline
Cornish
Danbury
Deerfield
Dublin
Dummer
Dunbarton
Ellsworth
Gilford
Hillsboro
Hopkinton
Lyndeborough
Loudon
Monroe
Moultonborough
New Hampton
Rindge
Stratham

I know these are all over the place in respect to location in NH.  Just wondering if people can give me some basic information about certain towns.  Like proximity to larger metro areas (Concord, Manchester, etc), proximity to ocean, proximity to outdoor activities, etc.

Thanks again guys.  We can't wait to get out there and see the place for ourselves!!

John

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
Re: Getting ready to visit NH - What can you tell me about these towns?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 03:14:02 pm »

Deerfield

One thing I know about Deerfield is that it has Ron's porc manor there along with his very nice "Church of John Browning" AKA a weekly shoot and (sometimes) bbq. 8) Deerfield as a town to move to Ron or other porcupines will have tell you about it.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 05:02:32 pm »

Well, I'm sure some of you have read my original post.  I figured I'd start another thread to see what people can say about the following towns which we've found properties that fit our criteria.  I'll admit that other than the required acreage and house size, I really know nothing about these towns since we haven't visited yet, but was hoping to maybe get some info before we head out there, just so we know if we should forget about certain prospects.

I know these are all over the place in respect to location in NH.  Just wondering if people can give me some basic information about certain towns.  Like proximity to larger metro areas (Concord, Manchester, etc), proximity to ocean, proximity to outdoor activities, etc.

Thanks again guys.  We can't wait to get out there and see the place for ourselves!!

Well, I'll hit a few of them...

Danbury: We own a cabin up there.  Danbury is "rural," to say the least.  It's next to the middle of nowhere (Grafton being the actual middle :)).  Good German food at the Inn at Danbury.  Ragged Mountain ski area.  Rts 4, 104, and 11 give fairly good access to Concord and the Lakes Region.  It's rural enough that we've been trapped there by flooding, one fall.

Deerfield: Next town south-west of me.  I'm sure one of the Little Minnesotans can give it a better run-down.

Stratham: Near the coast.  I would expect higher cost of living and taxes.

I'll also plug Northwood, since I live here.  It's a nice small town, which isn't "near" anything, but also isn't "far" from anything, either.  Rural living, but only 20 minutes to Concord (great if you want to get involved in activism), and 40 minutes to Portsmouth or Manchester.  Excellent climate for business (all homes are allowed an in-home business - no zoning issues unless you create traffic).  The town actually subcontracts high-school-level schooling to a private school, which is good if you plan to make use of such things.  And we have several Porcupines in town already, plus others in at least two of the neighboring towns.

There are a few properties listed that might meet your needs, from what I can see, and there are a lot of FSBO properties around, which would not be listed.

We also have a number of lakes, and that provides nice recreation possibilities, in addition to being in a generally-rural area, where it's easy to find outdoor things to do.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

motoracer51

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 12:23:35 pm »

Thanks for the help so far.  I think we're limiting our searches to the Keene/Rindge area, and possibly areas withing 45 minute drive of Concord.  I like that fact that there are Colleges there, and I can take a course or two to educate myself.

The wife Might like to be closer to Concord due to the fact that there is a law school there, and she might entertain teaching law, in addition to practicing.

I guess we'll see for sure when we are up there in about a week and a half.  I'm pretty excited to say the least.

John

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 12:54:37 pm »

Thanks for the help so far.  I think we're limiting our searches to the Keene/Rindge area, and possibly areas withing 45 minute drive of Concord.  I like that fact that there are Colleges there, and I can take a course or two to educate myself.

The wife Might like to be closer to Concord due to the fact that there is a law school there, and she might entertain teaching law, in addition to practicing.

I guess we'll see for sure when we are up there in about a week and a half.  I'm pretty excited to say the least.

There's also UNH in Durham.

Let us know when you'll be in the area, and I'm sure I or someone else can give you a bit of a tour.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 01:31:27 pm »

Your wife's a lawyer!!?  :)  Another one!  I'm currently a third year law student at George Mason Law School.  There are quite a good many lawyers in the project.

In what area does your wife practice?
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

motoracer51

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 01:51:37 pm »

Your wife's a lawyer!!?  :)  Another one!  I'm currently a third year law student at George Mason Law School.  There are quite a good many lawyers in the project.

Originally commercial and residential R/E when we were living in Florida.  Now, she's taken in interest to will & estate stuff.

lloydbob1

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 06:44:00 am »

Grafton

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 12:47:43 pm »

Originally commercial and residential R/E when we were living in Florida.  Now, she's taken in interest to will & estate stuff.
Just out of curiosity, what is the estate tax %?

motoracer51

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 01:39:38 pm »

Just out of curiosity, what is the estate tax %?

That's another reason we like NH.  No estate tax outside of a federal one.  This was a big factor for me.

Another reason we are considering moving to NH is my wife's ability to practice certain areas of law. Since she prefers real estate, Colorado was actually a poor choice for us since everything is taken care of on the brokers end. The brokers do all the closings out here.

Another thing that is important to her is that fact that there is reciprocity with all the states she has passed the BAR in(CO, FL, NJ, and NY). Basically Nh will waive the exam requirements after you are practicing a certain number of years.

One other question I have in regards to my wife finding work. Obviously there are quite a bit of jobs in Boston. Since we've been looking at some houses in Rindge, I see that she would be able to take a train into Boston from Fitchburg, MA. Google maps shows the distance between Fitchburg and Rindge at about 20 miles and~32 minutes. I'm sure this is in ideal weather. Do you think that it's going to be a bitch in the winter to get down there to Fitchburg?

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 02:57:31 pm »

One other question I have in regards to my wife finding work. Obviously there are quite a bit of jobs in Boston. Since we've been looking at some houses in Rindge, I see that she would be able to take a train into Boston from Fitchburg, MA. Google maps shows the distance between Fitchburg and Rindge at about 20 miles and~32 minutes. I'm sure this is in ideal weather. Do you think that it's going to be a bitch in the winter to get down there to Fitchburg?

Traffic into and out of Boston (which can be exacerbated by inclement weather, but is always bad)(Boston is the second-highest city on the road rage charts), and paying Mass income tax would be the bigger issues.

We have a few lawyers who are members of or friendly to the FSP.  Penny Dean (http://www.pennydean.com/) and  Evan Nappen spring to mind.  They might be able to give advice as to where your wife would be best able to find work.  Particularly Penny, since she has lived here for a number of years.

Joe

motoracer51

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 03:37:51 pm »

Traffic into and out of Boston (which can be exacerbated by inclement weather, but is always bad)(Boston is the second-highest city on the road rage charts), and paying Mass income tax would be the bigger issues.

We have a few lawyers who are members of or friendly to the FSP.  Penny Dean (http://www.pennydean.com/) and  Evan Nappen spring to mind.  They might be able to give advice as to where your wife would be best able to find work.  Particularly Penny, since she has lived here for a number of years.

Joe

How would my wife go about contacting her?  Who should we say referred us?

Thanks MaineShark.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 03:46:21 pm »

Her number and email address are on her website.  No need for referral :)

Joe

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 07:09:19 pm »

Joe
Saying that your wife likes guns would be enough for Penny.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 09:39:26 am »

Saying that your wife likes guns would be enough for Penny.

You forget who her clientèle are.  I doubt that narrows it down very much :)

Joe

Pages: [1]   Go Up