Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: open carry protests  (Read 106478 times)

kelteckiller

Re: open carry protests
« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2008, 09:37:51 am »

Its dependent on the management of the town.
In some municipalities it may be that the registrations pay for more than the expenditure on road maintenance, in others its less (usually this varies year to year).
I would guess in most cases that registrations and State gas tax municipal grants do not cover the entire cost of road maintenance in most municipalities.
But that would mean that the entire revenue from registrations, and then some, are being used for road maintenance in these city/towns.

Thank you...I knew I wasn't an idiot...err...not as much as they thought I was at least!   :)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #106 on: June 18, 2008, 09:48:29 am »

Its not so much being an idiot.
I completely agree with Joe in that  the current system can and should be improved.

The statist hate for motorized users... while employing them to provide the system is ignorant at best, untenable most likely.

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2008, 10:05:39 am »

And upon the number of miles of roads, their current condition, the towns "collective tolerance" tolerance for potholes, the number, age, and MSRP of cars registered in the town (affects revenue), etc.

I would guess in most cases that registrations and State gas tax municipal grants do not cover the entire cost of road maintenance in most municipalities.
But that would mean that the entire revenue from registrations, and then some, are being used for road maintenance in these city/towns.

Exactly.  But your last statement could be almost meaningless in a town that has very little vehicle registration/property tax revenue, but votes to spend a lot of money on road maintenance.  It's sort of like saying I'm going to buy some groceries with the change in my pocket: all the change in my pocket (58 cents) and then some will pay for my $100 of groceries.   ;D

kelteckiller

« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2008, 04:42:41 pm »

Its not so much being an idiot.
I completely agree with Joe in that  the current system can and should be improved.

The statist hate for motorized users... while employing them to provide the system is ignorant at best, untenable most likely.

This is where I agree a lot with this group.  I have some friends that are democrats and they are always saying, "if we raise taxes here, we will have enough money to do X"  It is not that there isn't enough money, it is that it isn't spent wisely.  We don't need more taxes, just to be smarter in how we use the money.  I know a lot of you in here are against taxes, and I don't agree with you there...I don't knock it because I don't know of a better way.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2008, 07:59:10 pm »

I know a lot of you in here are against taxes, and I don't agree with you there...I don't knock it because I don't know of a better way.

Much of what the government does with the taxes it collects could be better done by private entities within the free market. I’m not even talking about “extreme” stuff like privatizing the roads and police; I’m talking about easy stuff like social services (replaced with private charities), environmental protection/conservation agencies (replaced with private groups like the WWF and Audubon), and so on.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2008, 08:56:41 pm »

So... back on the original topic... I'm curious what the original poster thinks of the criminal acts of the police in unlawfully detaining individuals for open carry?

Each officer is, as a result of such behavior, a felon several times over.  Should they be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law?

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2008, 09:06:33 pm »

So... back on the original topic... I'm curious what the original poster thinks of the criminal acts of the police in unlawfully detaining individuals for open carry?

Each officer is, as a result of such behavior, a felon several times over.  Should they be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law?

Specifically, kelteckiller, what do you think of this incident?

kelteckiller

« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2008, 05:21:09 am »

I think that "incident" was fine.  The "incident" I just witnessed with MY eyes, so I can judge the actions of all involved was two young guys open carrying getting interviewed.  I am not going to throw an opinion out on two people's recount of a situation.  I am sure that Manchester was wrong in stopping them, but not going to get into it without seeing it...

NHArticleTen

• FSP Participant
  • Join The Ron Paul Write-In Revolution Today!
    • Adventures In Legal Land
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2008, 08:18:15 am »

I think that "incident" was fine.
  The "incident" I just witnessed with MY eyes, so I can judge the actions of all involved was two young guys open carrying getting interviewed.  I am not going to throw an opinion out on two people's recount of a situation.  I am sure that Manchester was wrong in stopping them, but not going to get into it without seeing it...

"I think that "incident" was fine."

"I am sure that Manchester was wrong in stopping them"

one of these things is not like the other...
one of these things just doesn't belong...

wtf...

These two "opinions" or "perceptions" are polar opposites and require extreme cognitive dissonance within a single consciousness...

The victims were assaulted by the perpetrators...they were physically disarmed...

Reverse the actions of the actors here to see why a "double standard" exists...

And to see that we have a perception of two classes of human beings here...

One that uses aggression/force/fraud to perpetrate physical assault...

And the other which "must" "submit" to this victimization or ultimately be gunned down for their refusal to be victimized...

Repel and Destroy may not have been used here...
But that was fully the discretion of the victims...
In the future this will most certainly change...

And, with that being said, we still humbly ask all the looters, bureaucrats, jackboots, and mercenaries to quit their jobs and become Philosophically Mature in the Non-Aggression Principle...

Go figure...

RAD

Enjoy!

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2008, 08:39:56 am »

I think that "incident" was fine.  The "incident" I just witnessed with MY eyes, so I can judge the actions of all involved was two young guys open carrying getting interviewed.  I am not going to throw an opinion out on two people's recount of a situation.  I am sure that Manchester was wrong in stopping them, but not going to get into it without seeing it...

Let's assume that they are telling the truth in every detail, for the sake of argument.

If that's the case, what do you think of the criminal acts of the police in unlawfully detaining individuals for open carry?

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2008, 09:05:15 am »

And upon the number of miles of roads, their current condition, the towns "collective tolerance" tolerance for potholes, the number, age, and MSRP of cars registered in the town (affects revenue), etc.

Exactly.  But your last statement could be almost meaningless in a town that has very little vehicle registration/property tax revenue, but votes to spend a lot of money on road maintenance.  It's sort of like saying I'm going to buy some groceries with the change in my pocket: all the change in my pocket (58 cents) and then some will pay for my $100 of groceries.   ;D
How can a town have 'very little' registration/property tax revenue when the rate of taxation is variable to meet the budgeted expenditure?
Towns acquire roads through accepting them as 'gifts' from private owners... also a management decision.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 09:27:29 am by John Edward Mercier »

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2008, 09:08:06 am »

Let's assume that they are telling the truth in every detail, for the sake of argument.

If that's the case, what do you think of the criminal acts of the police in unlawfully detaining individuals for open carry?

Joe
Assuming truth in every detail... YES.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2008, 11:08:24 am »

Yeah, I pretty much know how most folks here will respond, but I'm honestly curious what the originator of this topic is going to say.  After all, "the law is the law," right?

Shouldn't each of those cops get a few dozen years in prison?

Joe

MengerFan

• FSP Participant
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2008, 12:06:14 pm »

Yeah, I pretty much know how most folks here will respond, but I'm honestly curious what the originator of this topic is going to say.  After all, "the law is the law," right?

Shouldn't each of those cops get a few dozen years in prison?

Joe

So we can all be victimized by paying for it?

How about the cops have to pay out of their own pockets each of their victims for their time and suffering?

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2008, 12:11:41 pm »

How can a town have 'very little' registration/property tax revenue when the rate of taxation is variable to meet the budgeted expenditure?

We might be having a terminology misunderstanding again.  I was attempting to use your language (I think) in saying 'registration/property tax revenue'; I mean specifically the monies that are collected when people register their cars and pay money to the state, and some to the town.  I specifically meant to not include property taxes levied on homes.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Given that definition, hopefully you see my point: regardless of the tax rate, in the scenario I presented a town would be collecting very little revenue from taxes on vehicles, and the bulk of taxes raised for road maintenance would have to come from property taxes on homes.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 26   Go Up