Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 50241 times)

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: A few questions
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2008, 02:05:12 pm »

Personally, aside from actually living liberty here in NH and helping out with such things, I've used writing on various forums as a tool to convert several dozen individuals to the cause of liberty, including some who started out as just about as pro-government as you can get.  I've helped at least a few dozen more already-liberty-minded individuals to further solidify their beliefs (favorite recent quote was "I never knew I was an anti-Federalist!"), a good number of whom have moved here, and several more of whom are planning moves in the next few years.  If I stopped right now, and only the people who are currently here, or seriously talking about moving here actually moved, I think the total comes to about three dozen individuals.

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, but I find these claims above dubious. So far all I've observed is that you've done a good job turning people off the FSP by attacking them at every turn if they disagree with you one iota. So any good that you might be attempting in other areas is likely to have been washed out by the harm you are doing the FSP here.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2008, 02:07:35 pm »

Jason has some time to get here .... wait a minute ... didn't you sign the 1st 1000 pledge Jason? Then I guess we will see you really soon. 8)

Yup!  :D Didn't see you at PF this time, so I guess you wouldn't have heard yet...
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

lloydbob1

« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2008, 05:02:31 pm »

It was good seeing you and Mary at PF Jason, although it was fleeting and as usual I interrupted you ;D

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2008, 06:03:16 pm »

It was good seeing you and Mary at PF Jason, although it was fleeting and as usual I interrupted you ;D

Yeah, it's too bad we didn't get to spend more time w/ you & a lot of the other "old timers." 8) For once, we came to the Festival really early (Tuesday), and then we left on Saturday afternoon.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #124 on: June 20, 2008, 06:53:31 pm »

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, but I find these claims above dubious.

I'll take if from your response that you haven't actually done anything that you can name to further the cause of liberty, then.

So far all I've observed is that you've done a good job turning people off the FSP by attacking them at every turn if they disagree with you one iota. So any good that you might be attempting in other areas is likely to have been washed out by the harm you are doing the FSP here.

"Turning people off" who think that calling in thugs because the neighbor's dog barks... yeah, that's really harming things. ::)

There's this thing about knee-jerk reactions like that... your knee jerks in the direction you are already facing.  Someone whose response to a barking dog is "call the armed thugs to attack the dog's owner" is not facing in the direction of liberty.  Not even vaguely.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #125 on: June 20, 2008, 10:12:32 pm »

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, …

And here I thought you were trying to do just that, what with all your claims about doers and non-doers… ::)

NHArticleTen

• FSP Participant
  • Join The Ron Paul Write-In Revolution Today!
    • Adventures In Legal Land
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2008, 08:15:11 am »

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, but I find these claims above dubious.

I'll take if from your response that you haven't actually done anything that you can name to further the cause of liberty, then.

So far all I've observed is that you've done a good job turning people off the FSP by attacking them at every turn if they disagree with you one iota. So any good that you might be attempting in other areas is likely to have been washed out by the harm you are doing the FSP here.

"Turning people off" who think that calling in thugs because the neighbor's dog barks... yeah, that's really harming things. ::)

There's this thing about knee-jerk reactions like that... your knee jerks in the direction you are already facing.  Someone whose response to a barking dog is "call the armed thugs to attack the dog's owner" is not facing in the direction of liberty.  Not even vaguely.

Joe

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, …

And here I thought you were trying to do just that, what with all your claims about doers and non-doers… ::)

guess I might as well add something after Joe and J...

"chime"

I liked the knee jerk thing...

Go figure...

RAD

Enjoy!

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2008, 11:17:03 am »

Come on, can't we all just get along... This bickering doesn't exactly further our cause, nor does it entice fence-sitters to get on board.  ;)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2008, 02:09:59 pm »

Come on, can't we all just get along... This bickering doesn't exactly further our cause, nor does it entice fence-sitters to get on board.  ;)

Anyone who can be scared away by a discussion on an Internet forum... probably won't make a very good activist... :o

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2008, 02:53:02 pm »

Anyone who can be scared away by a discussion on an Internet forum... probably won't make a very good activist... :o

Joe

Seeing as the internet forum gives a disproportionate amount of what newbies see about what porcupines are like, I think that someone might figure "well, I'd love to join but it seems my view on x and y issues would make me unwelcome" if that's the only kind of responses they see on the forum.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

NHArticleTen

• FSP Participant
  • Join The Ron Paul Write-In Revolution Today!
    • Adventures In Legal Land
« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2008, 06:33:49 pm »

Joe

Seeing as the internet forum gives a disproportionate amount of what newbies see about what porcupines are like, I think that someone might figure "well, I'd love to join but it seems my view on x and y issues would make me unwelcome" if that's the only kind of responses they see on the forum.

I say get over your tuberculosis(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuberculosis) BEFORE you join and before you move...

No one here wants any part of YOUR sickness...we get enough massholes as it is...

Looters, bureaucrats, jackboots, and mercenaries can all go to hell...

There is plenty of good information immediately available to prove the Non-Aggression Principle beyond a shade of a doubt...
Read it, learn it, and live it...BEFORE you come pissing in our pickle jar...

Liberty and Freedom are NOT for the faint of heart...

There are fates worse than death...

Live Free Or Die!

Go figure...

RAD

Enjoy!

slothman

« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2008, 01:02:48 am »

I came up with these quotes because they are good examples.

Being "annoyed" by sound that travels through the air does not qualify as damage.
I'm "annoyed" by the way some people dress, for that matter.
Joe
Interesting. I never thought of it that way.

Before moving here I lived in an apartment building in New York City and during my last
 year there I was put through living hell by my neighbors.
They had extremely loud parties every weekend (and often during the week) lasting at
 least until 6am. (The building had a "no noise after 10PM" rule. )The walls in my
 apartment were vibrating, not to mention my eardrums.
 It was affecting my health, my ability to work etc. etc.
 I'd call it a little more than an "aesthetic" problem.
I had countless discussions with the neighbors and with the property manager
 who agreed with me (especially after my neighbors caused thousands of dollars
 in property damage by breaking an elevator) but could do nothing about it.
 The government regulations kept him from breaking their lease and throwing
 them out of the building.
I know what he did was bad but I can't quite figure out why.
Maybe it doesn't count as freedom because it was hurting you.
Also, what kind of regulations were used?

Again, just asking; if there is no verbal assault, what is slander and libel?
  It could be slander/libel of my own character, which I assume I own, or slander/libel
 that hurts the earning or investment potential of my private property.
  Are those just assumed risks?
I think slander/libel should be legal.

I realize noise, by itself, travels just like air, because it is air that is vibrating
 at specific audible frequencies.  Does that mean people can't own radio
 spectrum, since they can't lay claim over it as private property or dispute "frequency
 stealing"?  Radio spectrum is just higher energy frequencies traveling in the air, just
 like noise.  What if I beamed specific radio frequencies to drown out or otherwise
 distort your radio frequencies from my own property, assuming there is no bodily
 or structural harm, do I have a claim for a legitimate complaint?
  To me it seems like a "noise violation", only with higher frequencies.
I would guess that is similar to sound wave annoyances.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2008, 07:23:31 am »

Isn't "doing our own thing" what this whole "leave everyone else alone thing" is all about...

Amanda and Jason have had their 15min...
leaving everyone else alone sure isn't my highest goal in life ... I would think the FSP is hoping activists who want to help others will join us. :)

are you looking for your 15minutes now? :-\
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2008, 07:26:32 am »

Isn't the bigness of the FSP tent decided by the SOI and mission statement? If people agree with that, then they belong in the FSP.

Yes, by definition.  But even in the simple words of the SOI, there seems to be significant room for interpretation.
so I guess they belong in it
I am recruiting radicals to NH, but I can't tell the FSP as a whole who they should include. :)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2008, 07:27:17 am »

Jason has some time to get here .... wait a minute ... didn't you sign the 1st 1000 pledge Jason? Then I guess we will see you really soon. 8)

Yup!  :D Didn't see you at PF this time, so I guess you wouldn't have heard yet...
what haven't I heard yet?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up

anything