Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How is the NH construction industry?  (Read 3569 times)

GTPanic

How is the NH construction industry?
« on: June 14, 2008, 01:23:07 pm »

I am 32 yo married Libertarian who is interested in the FSP. My wife is a nurse and doesn't seem to run into the finding a job issue that I do. I have been in the construction iindustry for 10 years now, and I am currently a project manager for a commercial general contractor. My degree is construction management specific. I'd like to stay in the same industry if we moved to NH, but I'm more than capable of changing industries and being successful.

Does anyone know how strong/weak the commercial construction industry is in NH? Are any particular areas experiencing good strong growth? Is there any construction at all?

As most go, this is my hurdle.

GTPanic

Re: How is the NH construction industry?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 01:09:06 pm »

I assume it is doing as good as my number of responses!!!

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 01:28:34 pm »

Rising prices are hitting pretty hard. Steel and energy prices are the reasons given for the Berlin prison going in much costlier than expected.

Our custom home builder told us last week that his builder friends are not offering custom homes, only spec ones to better manage the rising prices. Everything that we estimated in the fall is costing more now.

Cathleen

maulotaur

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 01:30:22 pm »

When I was there last week looking around, I do not recall seeing any construction at all.

Fishercat

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 02:58:46 pm »

In the area around Concord, I know that many projects are suspended.   However, there are still a few continuing.

After a huge amount of activity up until a couple of years ago, things have definitely slowed down quite a bit.

mtgirl

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 05:42:01 pm »

My husband is a painting contractor.  He is busy and booked well in advance, but it's less new construction and more repairs/renovations.  He also no longer has employees...just himself and he subs out some stuff if he can't handle it alone.  My brother-in-law is a general contractor and is quite busy with new construction still, although I think he just laid off one of his project managers.  Overall, it's on a downward curve right now.  We live just north of Plymouth by the way.   

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 09:57:19 pm »

I know 3 GCs in the Concord area who are all booked thru the end of the year... mostly remodel and deck work.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 08:56:24 am »

Commercial construction is happening, but it does seem a bit slower than usual.

Residential is (as several have noted) doing fairly well, at least in the remodel market.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

mtgirl

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 12:37:58 pm »

I talked with my husband about your question.  He said that there's enough work to keep contractors busy, but not so much that they need the big crews that they did just a few years ago.  My husband's been in the trades for nearly 30 years.  It isn't dire right now, but there's a level of uncertainty that probably makes contractors careful about new hires.  And, like I said, my bro-in-law just laid off a project manager and relies more on subs than on employees.

If your wife's a nurse, she can get work anywhere and make great money (all relative, of course). 
Pages: [1]   Go Up