Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Working out of state while living in NH  (Read 15462 times)

shadowtech

• jordancassady.com
Working out of state while living in NH
« on: June 01, 2008, 01:05:49 am »

Hello again,
I did a quick search but failed to turn up anything on the subject.

Are there any free staters out there have any knowledge about working out of state while living in NH?

I've noticed that the commute from say, Manchester to Boston is relatively short (an hour). Although I would rather work in-state, accepting a corporate transfer to a close-by state might be my only option when the time comes.

Obviously I would have to pay state income tax, but is there any other curve balls I should know about?

Thanks for reading.
Historicast - the weekly history podcast.
historicast.blogspot.com

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Working out of state while living in NH
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 09:57:59 am »

There are quite a few people who live in NH and commute to MA for work.
You will have to pay MA income tax.

I don't think that there is a problem other than that.

LOTS of NH natives do that.

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 01:21:33 pm »

Obviously I would have to pay state income tax, but is there any other curve balls I should know about?

The big obstacle for me is parking.  If you like in NH, you will have to register your car in NH.  If you company does not provide parking (have a private lot), you will have to pay for daily parking or park at the commuter rail or a T garage and ride the train into town.   Most neighborhood is the Boston Metro Area only allow you to park in the neighborhood (on street) if you live in the neighborhood.

If your employer is out on 128 or in the suburbs, parking is usually a non-issue.   But, if you work downtown the big evil tyrannical Federal Government will do everything possible, out side of Marine Snipers, (clean air act) to prevent you from driving to work and parking your car in town.  It's your duty as a citizen to like in a "Diverse (crime ridden) urban center (over populated slum)" and pay super high taxes, don't cha know.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 03:48:52 pm »

I've heard that there are lots of NHites who work in Mass but don't pay Mass income tax. Maybe they have to set themselves up as independent contractors, or maybe they have professions that allow them to select their domicile (pilots)?
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 05:16:26 pm »

If you're working in downtown Boston, you can take the train from Dover or Portsmouth, and park free. :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 05:18:03 pm by Dave Mincin »
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 06:36:16 pm »

The other option is this bus system. I did this out of Manchester for a while; they also have buses that go to Concord and Nashua (and a few other cities, but I don’t think those are viable for commuters). The bus is doable, but if you have to travel during rush hour, expect it to take almost two hours in each direction from Manchester to Boston (60 miles). Off-peak travel is an hour each way.

shadowtech

• jordancassady.com
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 11:32:42 am »

Thanks to everyone who replied, it's great to get as much info upfront as I can. :)
Historicast - the weekly history podcast.
historicast.blogspot.com

Fishercat

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 12:42:31 pm »

Some general comments for non-USers.

For the most part, you can live and work in different states and commute between them with no issues.  MA is more of an exception than the rule.

Some of the urban areas do try to tax commuters one way or another, for example with a city income tax.  And there are a couple of states that will nail their cross-border commuters with taxes they wouldn't otherwise have to pay. But for the most part, your income tax is determined by where you live, not where you work.

Likewise, you shouldn't expect to find "curve balls" in most circumstances.  Boston and MA is particularly bad about penalizing non-residents.   This wouldn't be such an issue, except that it is a major metropolitan area within communing distance of many places in NH.

Check me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think you would have issues commuting to Maine or Vermont.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 09:07:51 am by Fishercat »

freedomroad

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 12:49:39 pm »

Check me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think you would have issues commuting to Maine or Vermont.

I'm almost certain they tax you.  That is the way it is almost always done.  I live in TN where the personal income tax laws are exactly like NH and if you live in TN and work in a near-by state, the near-by state will tax your income.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 01:17:07 pm »

Your income will be taxed both where you live and where you work, if both States have an income tax. I’ve never had to put up with that setup, fortunately, but I believe you can deduct the lower State’s income tax from the higher State’s when you file, so you don’t end up actually paying more.

/Hey, if you operate on two different gangs’ turfs, both of them are gonna want a piece of the action…

Fishercat

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 02:15:39 pm »

Yes, I'm sure I am wrong.   I guess I was mistakenly thinking of cases where I had earned small amounts of income across a (non-NH) state line, and was always able to file to get it all back.  Sorry.

Lost in all of that I wanted to point out that, the inconveniences discussed in this thread aside, states generally try to avoid restrictions on living/working/doing business across state lines.  Which may or may not be as obvious to those who haven't lived in the US.

ny2nh

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 05:31:38 am »

Some of the urban areas do try to tax commuters one way or another, for example with a city income tax.  And there are a couple of states that will nail their cross-border commuters with taxes they wouldn't otherwise have to pay.  But for the most part, your income tax is determined by where you live, not where you work.

Likewise, you shouldn't expect to find "curve balls" in most circumstances.  Boston and MA is particularly bad about penalizing non-residents.   This wouldn't be such an issue, except that it is a major metropolitan area within communing distance of many places in NH.

I disagree.....you are taxed by the state you work in, not the state you live in. If NH had a personal income tax, then that would prevail over MA's, but since we do not, anyone working in MA pays MA income tax. Some companies have locations in MA and NH and will have NH residents listed as working out of the NH location when they actually work out of MA. i'm sure MA tries to crack down on this though.

ny2nh

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 05:33:29 am »

Lost in all of that I wanted to point out that, the inconveniences discussed in this thread aside, states generally try to avoid restrictions on living/working/doing business across state lines.  Which may or may not be as obvious to those who haven't lived in the US.

There are no "restrictions" to working, doing business, or travel in one state and living in another.

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 12:10:02 am »

Hello again,
I did a quick search but failed to turn up anything on the subject.

Are there any free staters out there have any knowledge about working out of state while living in NH?

I've noticed that the commute from say, Manchester to Boston is relatively short (an hour). Although I would rather work in-state, accepting a corporate transfer to a close-by state might be my only option when the time comes.

Thanks for reading.

Just chiming in as a Porcupine that lives in Manchester and works in Taxachusetts. The commute isn't bad at all. I used to live in Exeter and it was the same amount of driving as where I live now. If you go during rush hour expect what normally would take an hour give or take to be two hours sometimes two and a half if the traffic is wicked bad. Audio books are my friend.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

Ogre

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Llamas are fun!
    • Ogre's Politics and Views
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 01:31:53 pm »

I disagree.....you are taxed by the state you work in, not the state you live in. If NH had a personal income tax, then that would prevail over MA's, but since we do not, anyone working in MA pays MA income tax.

If I trusted the NH government a tiny bit, and this were true, I'd suggest NH putting in place a 1 cent a year personal income tax to avoid paying MA taxes... of course that would just cause more commies and statists to move from MA to NH...
___
Ogre's Views:
http://www.ogresview.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up