Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Correctional Officer--Dover  (Read 12041 times)

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
Re: Correctional Officer--Dover
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 12:32:17 pm »

I’m trying to imagine any way in which such a job could be attractive to a freestater, and not coming up with much…

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 12:46:12 pm »

I’m trying to imagine any way in which such a job could be attractive to a freestater, and not coming up with much…
So there's no law enforcement personnel amongst us? however small the percentage... To be honest, this is the line of work I'm going into... Better to have someone who cares for liberty helping the violent offenders correct their aggressive mentalities for their future release as well as protecting the non-violent offenders from being harmed (in jail) by those violent inmates that won't change. In the forceable future, there may be an opportunity to shift from government courts/police/jails to privately functioning industries. As that day comes, I'd be more than willing to engage the notion of change... In the mean time, it's going to take some politics to reschedule those that come to jail as far as for non-violent offenders--unless of course we suddenly had a bunch of police officers that adhered to the LEAP platform.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 01:04:04 pm »

So there's no law enforcement personnel amongst us? however small the percentage... To be honest, this is the line of work I'm going into... Better to have someone who cares for liberty helping the violent offenders correct their aggressive mentalities for their future release as well as protecting the non-violent offenders from being harmed (in jail) by those violent inmates that won't change. In the forceable future, there may be an opportunity to shift from government courts/police/jails to privately functioning industries. As that day comes, I'd be more than willing to engage the notion of change... In the mean time, it's going to take some politics to reschedule those that come to jail as far as for non-violent offenders--unless of course we suddenly had a bunch of police officers that adhered to the LEAP platform.

No, we have some people in law enforcement, but I don’t think anyone who works directly in the prison system.

What you point out is indeed what little “good” someone in such a position can do, but I think it’s far outweighed by the bad aspects. A prison guard is, literally every minute he’s on the job, part of the system of oppressing and warehousing people in the name of the State, holding them captive, punishing many of them for victimless crimes.

A law enforcement officer can ignore a lot, “look the other way” when he sees laws he disagrees with being broken. He has discretion over whether or not he’ll issue a ticket or a warning; whether or not he actually saw the law being broken. That doesn’t seem practicable within the prison system—if you start letting prisoners get away with things, if strict order isn’t maintained, wouldn’t the whole place go to hell in fairly short order?

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 02:06:20 pm »

Someone has got to do it.  A corrections officer is just holding someone (unless they are one of the bad ones that looks the other way and/or abuses prisoners).  I don't understand why someone cannot be a corrections officer and a libertarian activists at the same time.  Having corrections officers talking about freedom at the New Hampshire Statehouse would look great.  Same thing for pro-freedom LTE.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 07:26:58 pm by Keith and Stuff »

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 03:53:01 pm »

I agree with Keith and Rebel. 
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 04:42:58 pm »

Someone has got to do it.  A corrections officer is just holding someone (unless they are one of the bad ones that looks the other way and/or abuses prisoners).

Kidnapping is a pretty serious thing, regardless of whether torture is added in, afterward.

I don't see how someone cannot be a corrections officer and a libertarian activists at the same time.  Having corrections officers talking about freedom at the New Hampshire Statehouse would look great.

The point, I think, is whether we think of it is a "good thing" to have libertarians in the prison system (other than as prisoners), or if we look at it as some sort of necessary evil.  As you said, someone will certainly be doing it, and I suppose some individual could look at it as a way to reduce the number of statists among the guard population.

Can someone recognize the prison system as completely and utterly evil, and "work from within" to end it?  I couldn't stomach it, but I suppose there are some who might be able to...

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 04:58:59 pm »

we have some people in law enforcement, but I don’t think anyone who works directly in the prison system.
The Superintendent of Prisons for Cheshire County is a member of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition.
I think it's safe to say he's one of "us" ;)

http://nhcommonsense.org/blog/free_minds_tv_interviews_van_wickler

lastlady

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 06:05:50 pm »

One of our dear freedom fighters Reno Gonzalez has told me of many conversations he has had with his COs. Apparently there are more than we would think who are interested in liberty and freedom. They are learning about the failings of government and it does have some sort of ripple effect. They are involved directly with inmates and treat him with respect. I am sure it makes his situation a little bit better to have someone on the inside who isn't a total statist fascist a-hole.

Although I do agree that I would never take such a position and if no one did we wouldn't have so many prisons to begin with.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 01:27:43 am »

No, we have some people in law enforcement, but I don’t think anyone who works directly in the prison system.

Oh, really?  ;)

What you point out is indeed what little “good” someone in such a position can do, but I think it’s far outweighed by the bad aspects. A prison guard is, literally every minute he’s on the job, part of the system of oppressing and warehousing people in the name of the State, holding them captive, punishing many of them for victimless crimes.

And, it must be added, had zero part in putting the person there in the first place.

When I got to meet Ron Paul at a campaign event, I told him I wanted him to eliminate my job. I was serious, and remain so. If our government were constrained to the Constitution, my job wouldn't exist. It's a trade I would gladly make.

A law enforcement officer can ignore a lot, “look the other way” when he sees laws he disagrees with being broken. He has discretion over whether or not he’ll issue a ticket or a warning; whether or not he actually saw the law being broken. That doesn’t seem practicable within the prison system—if you start letting prisoners get away with things, if strict order isn’t maintained, wouldn’t the whole place go to hell in fairly short order?

The last part of your statement is identical to the usual argument against anarchism. A prison is a society akin to a city, with residents (admittedly, involuntary residents), a "government" with a "mayor" (warden), police force (officers), schools, maintenance department, hospital, and even businesses. There are official businesses like the commissary, but many more unofficial businesses like stores, loan sharking, gambling, prostitution, and suppliers of contraband.

There's a whole lot more "looking the other way" inside the fence than out. And by that, I don't mean overlooking serious matters like rape or assault, but the myriad administrative rules. Maintaining peace and order often requires "looking the other way".

More magazines than policy allows? Your room is clean and you cause no problems, so I don't care.

Smuggle out some leftover food from the chow hall, so you can make soup or nachos to sell in the unit later that night? Feh. It was going to be thrown away anyway.

Break into another inmate's locker and steal his stuff? Sorry, you're going to Seg, because you stole someone else's rightful property, and I'd be really ticked if he got in trouble for kicking your ass over it. Best if you just go serve your 30 days and get transferred.

Attack someone else --staff or inmate, physically or sexually-- and you're going down as hard as I can make you go. ZAP is as applicable inside the prison walls as it is in libertopia, and violators should suffer the consequences of their aggression.

Find true love in the showers? If it's mutual and consensual and private, I'm not going to be looking to bust you in the act, because it's something I really don't want to see. If it's forced, coerced, or on open display in such a way that other inmates are likely to kick your ass over it, then I'll shut you down.

It's not a pretty world, but prison is a society much like the world on the outside. It is an artificial, government-created society. It does have some unique rules, but so does every society.

And let me reiterate: I wish the prisons, and my job, would simply disappear.

Kevin

NHArticleTen

• FSP Participant
  • Join The Ron Paul Write-In Revolution Today!
    • Adventures In Legal Land
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 08:59:45 am »

And let me reiterate: I wish the prisons, and my job, would simply disappear.

Kevin

And let me reiterate: I wish EVERYONE would refuse to be an accomplice to some supposed "state"...these include, but are not limited to, looters, bureaucrats, jackboots, and mercenaries...pretty much EVERYONE who receives the loot and booty(read STOLEN PROPERTY) of an oppressed peaceful and peace-loving people...

Kevin, your "job"...your "paycheck"...your "place" of "employment" are ALL via the aggression/force/fraud of some supposed "state"...all STOLEN PROPERTY...
Each and every time you "set foot" on your "place" of "employment" to "do" your "job" and "receive" your "paycheck" you are committing a FRESH/NEW/ADDITIONAL theft and robbery against a peaceful and peace-loving people...

You are NO DIFFERENT from a perpetrator who kicks in a door, holds the inhabitants at gunpoint, and takes whatever you desire...you should be repelled and destroyed...and you would be...if you were conducting your "livelihood" in the "first-person"...but you are most certainly NOT...

You are HIDING "behind" the slave-masters(and the looters, bureaucrats, jackboots, and mercenaries) and whining that "somebody" has to enjoy the loot and booty...so why shouldn't you enjoy it while it's there...and singing your joyous songs of "righteousness" and "compassion" for the very victims that you willingly plunder and violently oppress...

The more we think about it...the more it sickens us...gross!

If all perpetrators were repelled and destroyed by their victims...these same victims knowing full well that no other solution was viable, reliable, or preferred(which the current "system" is MOST certainly NOT)...would then "step up to the plate" and stand up for themselves and their fellow Individual Sovereign Human Beings and REPEL, DESTROY, AND VIRTUALLY ELIMINATE most aggression/force/fraud...

QUIT YOUR JOB!

REFUSE TO BE PART OF THE PROBLEM!

INSTEAD, COMMIT TO BE A PART OF THE SOLUTION!

While I am reasonably sure I will not be "in command" when the political prisoners are liberated...I have NO objections what-so-ever to the repelling and destruction of each and every perpetrator/facilitator of the victimized, kidnapped, and imprisoned political prisoners...

It's highly probable that quite a few also hold said perpetrators/facilitators with equal, and perhaps greater, contempt...

One of our porcupines has even written a book where such a liberation actually occurs...perhaps you've heard of this porcupine and/or read his wonderful works?

Evan Nappen's book "The Declaration" - http://www.evannappen.com/thedeclaration/

Go figure...

RAD

Enjoy!

Viva La Revolucion!

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 10:00:44 am »

Kevin, your "job"...your "paycheck"...your "place" of "employment" are ALL via the aggression/force/fraud of some supposed "state"...all STOLEN PROPERTY...
Each and every time you "set foot" on your "place" of "employment" to "do" your "job" and "receive" your "paycheck" you are committing a FRESH/NEW/ADDITIONAL theft and robbery against a peaceful and peace-loving people...

You are NO DIFFERENT from a perpetrator who kicks in a door, holds the inhabitants at gunpoint, and takes whatever you desire...you should be repelled and destroyed...and you would be...if you were conducting your "livelihood" in the "first-person"...but you are most certainly NOT...

Yes. And every time you vote, you are no different from Nancy Pelosi.

If you're going to be an absolutist about government, then be one. Don't be a hypocrite.

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 10:51:43 am »

For some strange reason, I'm getting the feeling that if you're not an anarchist--don't bother joining the FSP.  :-\

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 11:24:15 am »

The FSP is just focused on getting liberty-minded individuals to NH...

Fishercat

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 11:33:40 am »

For some strange reason, I'm getting the feeling that if you're not an anarchist--don't bother joining the FSP.  :-\

I should hope nobody gets that feeling.

If you're not an anarchist, please join the FSP and join in to the continuing debates between the anarchists and the minarchists.  Also join a political -oriented organization, such as the Liberty Alliance http://www.nhliberty.org/ or LEAP www.leap.cc, where you will associate with like-minded Free Staters coming at this from a slightly different angle.

The day when the anarchist free-staters really need to rise up and throw off the oppressive yoke of the laissez-faire free-staters... if you don't see that as a huge improvement over the world today; maybe then you shouldn't bother joining the FSP.   ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything