Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking of a career to get into  (Read 7049 times)

BWF89

Thinking of a career to get into
« on: May 14, 2008, 04:16:48 pm »

Hey everyone. I'm an 18yo libertarian (anarcho-capitalist) and am strongly considering moving to New Hampshire within the next 3 or so years.

The only problem is I'm graduating from high school next week and I don't really have much of an idea what kind of career I want to pursue. So I haven't applied to any colleges or trade schools. I figured theres really no point in just applying somewhere and wasting tons of money until your sure of what you want to do. Throughout high school I've taken a variety of classes in the hopes that I'd find something that caught my interest and that I might want to pursue, but to no avail. I don't get very good grades in school mostly because I find it really boring or just hate the work. Which is another reason I didn't want to start post-secondary training right away.

I'm interested in computers (Linux) and technology. But I can't program (in fact I took a class and hated it) or use the command line beyond a few simple tasks like navigating through a file system. My Dad owns a small HVAC-R (heating, ventilation, air-conditioning, and refrigeration) company but after helping him out on the job install equipment and do maintenance I don't like that kind or work or have any mechanical ability. Also I'm not good at doing shop related things like wood working. I like to read about psychological disorders and personality types. But after taking an intro to psychology type class it's just really boring. One thing I love doing is reading about libertarian political philosophy and to a lesser degree economics. I'm on the Mises Institute, Lew Rockwell, AntiWar.com, and listening to Free Talk Live almost every day. But I'm not sure as to what kind of career I could presume with those interests. Or whether I'd even enjoy it.

My Mom recommended looking for some kind of forestry, farming, or environmental related career since I'm into reading survival manuals and building huts in the woods. And it sounds like something I might be interested in. If I was going to do this what should I be looking into?

What kind of jobs in New Hampshire could I get in that kind of field that doesn't involve working for the government (federal, state, or local). Although I'm much less opposed to working for a local government. But I'd still rather not because I wouldn't feel that great about having a job where you report directly to the government or that your paycheck comes out of peoples taxes.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
Re: Thinking of a career to get into
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 05:29:48 pm »

Why wait 3 years? Immediately after High School is a great time to move somewhere to seek your fortune in life; for an AnCap, there's no place better than NH.

I would strongly suggest that you consider going to vocational school or college in NH.

If you have no idea what career path to pursue, I always recommend nursing. Nurses are in more demand than computer gurus, lawyers, or doctors. You can likely get a decent job anyplace you like with 2 years of schooling.

BWF89

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 05:55:28 pm »

Why wait 3 years? Immediately after High School is a great time to move somewhere to seek your fortune in life; for an AnCap, there's no place better than NH.
Well I'm going to want to save up some money before I make the move. As it is the only money I have to my name is $1000 in savings bonds I have in the bank. With school coming to an end next week I'm going to be able to work a lot and save it up while still living at my parents so I won't have any major expenses. So at the very least I'm going to wait a year before I make the move.
If you have no idea what career path to pursue, I always recommend nursing. Nurses are in more demand than computer gurus, lawyers, or doctors. You can likely get a decent job anyplace you like with 2 years of schooling.
I know there are male nurses but that's kind of a womans job. Also it would be kinda embarrassing IMO if someone asked what you did for a living and I had to respond "nurse". Plus I don't really think that's something I'd be into.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 06:54:48 pm »

I know there are male nurses but that's kind of a womans job. Also it would be kinda embarrassing IMO if someone asked what you did for a living and I had to respond "nurse".
Fact: I know some male nurses who can probably kick your ass.  ;)

Plus I don't really think that's something I'd be into.
That's a better reason.

You really need to look at what you have a passion for. Have you read Rich Dad, Poor Dad? (hint: it's worth it to buy NOW if you haven't)

Also, regularly check the "Job Search Sites" on the FSP Jobs page. It may take several months to find something at the low end, may as well start now.
http://freestateproject.org/nhinfo/jobs

Of course, if you're looking to go to school, look in NH as well. From your posts I gather you may want to work during the day and take classes at night.

Lastly, if you move with relatively few possessions it can be done extremely cheap. You can always have more stuff shipped from your parents' home over time.

MattLeft

• FSP Participant
    • NHNovella.com
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 11:10:36 pm »

I've been a nurse for a year.  I was a little worried about the "Gaylord Fokker" Murse stereotype.  That goes away quickly.  Tons of dudes do it nowadays.  I worked one night a couple of weeks ago when it was only me and three other guys on my wing.  We got to leave the toilet seat up in the break room, and everything.

Advantages:   No suit or tie, comfy pyjamas instead....Tons of young ladies in nursing school....Tons of young ladies working in hospitals....Three-day work weeks....The opportunity to travel, if so inclined (Travel nurses make mad money, and get a lot of their cost of living expenses paid for)....Unbeatable job security, don't have to worry about the job prospects drying up.

After I got out of my previous career, I retired for a year, figuring that I'd know what to do by the end of that hiatus (I had no clue).  Another few months of casting about for something to do to pay the bills, and I got to talking to my sister.  She's been an RN for about 3 years, and spoke very highly of the profession.  It tweeked my interest enough that I fought the unmanly-seeming aura surrounding male nursing.  Truthfully, as a single guy, I've found that when meeting new females in social-type situations, it's a huge plus.  They see a guy nurse as caring, responsible, and all that other warm and fuzzy stuff.  Plus, it seems that most ladies thought about a career in nursing at one time or another, so it's a good conversation topic.

chimney

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 06:41:03 am »

I reckon your current plan's a good one. Spend a year working and saving, and research possible careers. You're right that there's no point doing a course for the sake of it.

If you enjoy computers but not programming there are plenty of other things you could do. Have you considered web or graphic design?

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 06:57:56 am »

I really commend you for admitting you are not ready for serious and expensive study. I remember being 18 and not knowing what to do but feeling pressured to get on with it.

NH would be a great place to mature and refine your skills and interests. By all means, stay at home and work awhile to save some money, then come on out and meet some great folks.

Cathleen   

ny2nh

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 07:23:48 am »

I know there are male nurses but that's kind of a womans job. Also it would be kinda embarrassing IMO if someone asked what you did for a living and I had to respond "nurse". Plus I don't really think that's something I'd be into.

Wow - I can't decide if that is more of an immature attitude toward a profession or if it is just dumb male ego. I am always surprised when people still makes comments of this sort.

If you're not into it, that's fine. From what you have written, you don't seem to have any interest in a whole lot of any sort of career. Not jumping into school for the sake of doing so if fine, but on the flip side of that, maybe by going to school you might find something that does interest you.

Or, you can work at Walmart.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 09:02:02 am »

Or, you can work at Walmart.

Retail is not a bad option for someone looking to get started and who doesn't have a clear career in mind. Plenty of advancement opportunities in management, possibility of changing to an IT or other technical job if you get training, possibly even assistance in getting said training.

Walmart may not be the best choice -- I'd suggest something more upmarket, like Mervyn's. Better yet, if you can land a position at one, a specialty store (eg, Crate & Barrel) or specialty foods (eg, Starbucks)

BWF89

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 05:24:46 pm »

Wow - I can't decide if that is more of an immature attitude toward a profession or if it is just dumb male ego. I am always surprised when people still makes comments of this sort. If you're not into it, that's fine. From what you have written, you don't seem to have any interest in a whole lot of any sort of career. Not jumping into school for the sake of doing so if fine, but on the flip side of that, maybe by going to school you might find something that does interest you.
I said in the original post that I might be interested in some kind of job involving forestry, farming, or something that involves being outdoors or in the woods that doesn't involve working for the government.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 08:54:18 am »

Farming and Forestry jobs are almost always available... even options on self employment.

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 09:31:25 am »

Another good book to read for soul- and job-searching is "What color is my parachute?"  I found it very helpful for self-discovery.  Of course, I've changed jobs a bunch of times since then, but it still helps you narrow your focus to what things you are interested in and the types of jobs/activities you enjoy.  Check it out and then find the perfect job here in the Free State.
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

BWF89

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 06:57:58 pm »

Farming and Forestry jobs are almost always available... even options on self employment.
I was checking Careerbuilder for jobs in NH with the words farm, agriculture, and forestry but there were only a few hits.
Another good book to read for soul- and job-searching is "What color is my parachute?"
I'll get it the next time I order books from Amazon.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 11:44:22 pm »

If anyone is interested in becoming a merchant mariner, I can probably get you in still.  There are several positions that you can get into in about a year or two that will have you making about $7-10K per month plus benefits.  There are even some jobs paying up to $12K per month, like Refrigeration or Electrician.  The upside is that you spend about half the year ashore.  The downside is that you miss out on a lot of local activism.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 05:01:16 pm »

I was checking Careerbuilder for jobs in NH with the words farm, agriculture, and forestry but there were only a few hits.
Another good book to read for soul- and job-searching is "What color is my parachute?"
I'll get it the next time I order books from Amazon.
Farmers and loggers generally don't advertise on the net, or even the local employment office. Then again they don't really do the resume thing either.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything