Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free State Project Members Census Breakdown  (Read 5842 times)

DCLXVI

Free State Project Members Census Breakdown
« on: May 13, 2008, 12:42:25 pm »

I am not sure if the following questions information is available or if this is the correct forum location.

I have the intention of moving to New Hampshire as a Free State Project member in the near future.  I see there is at the time of this post 530 members that are now in New Hampshire.  I was wondering if there is census/statistical breakdown of what geographic locations in New Hampshire that these members are located.

If so, where do I find this.  If not, would this not be of value to the current population and those on the way so they can determine depending on their personal reasons for moving what area may best suited for themselves.

Perhaps they want to be an activist in an area not yet containing members to establish a new foothold, or they may want to live among an already formed collective of people in an area.

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Free State Project Members Census Breakdown
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 01:04:38 pm »

I was wondering if there is census/statistical breakdown of what geographic locations in New Hampshire that these members are located.

Nope.  It's been discussed before, but (AFAIK) nothing has come of it.  One of the problems is that when people move and notify the FSP of their new address (if they even do that), there is an expectation of privacy.  The only system that I think could really work is if people voluntarily added a pushpin on a google maps page to a location of their choosing.  But then you'd likely have an issue of compliance; a lot of people would just simply refuse, forget, or otherwise neglect to add their pushpin to the map.  This system also has the potential for abuse (intentionally putting the pushpin in the wrong location), but I think that's not a big concern.

I still think it's a good idea for the FSP user page to give users the option to put a pushpin somewhere.  I think if people saw a google map with pushpins sprouting up all over, it would really have a great psychological impact -- even more so than the slowly moving counters.

DCLXVI

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 01:47:50 pm »

I am 100% for privacy, and the pushpin concept I agree would have the psychological potential to influence through visualizing the success of the project.  I know I am looking at real estate sites for properties available and those little bubbles tell something about an area.

I guess I suggest that if this project is to have an impact on the political front, then it is about the activists that are in the state and there willingness to be "active" as part of a coordinated concept or agenda.  This would not require a formal infrastructure, but some sort of awareness of activity in order for others to build where needed to achieve an outcome of "Freedom in our Lifetime" as the project promotes.  The absence of this would seem to me that the silent members (a needed value) are future votes at best after actual activists have infiltrated the current control structure to a level where change can be engineered to a state of sovereign freedom. 

This would not require addresses or personal data necessarily.  I have not thought this out, thus my inquiry if others have, and if so, what form these thoughts have manifested in at this point.

For myself I am trying to find a location in New Hampshire that participation as a free state project member can have added value to the project.  Short of that perhaps Maine or Vermont would better serve me for they may have specific laws passed that would keep me from being arrested where New Hampshire would not as it is constructed today.  If I was just moving to that region of the country for lifestyle reasons, New Hampshire is not equal on many levels, only the potential for surpassing the neighbor states by helping to "Manifest a Destiny" through the free state project.

The future will be interesting.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 02:01:50 pm »

I guess I suggest that if this project is to have an impact on the political front, then it is about the activists that are in the state and there willingness to be "active" as part of a coordinated concept or agenda.
As soon as NH was chosen by the FSP, some NH-based libertarians and small-government conservatives formed the NH Liberty Alliance in large part for this purpose, to give the newcomers a place to organize and connect with people already in government who share our philosophy.
http://www.nhliberty.org/join

For myself I am trying to find a location in New Hampshire that participation as a free state project member can have added value to the project.
After being here 3 years and living in 2 different places (Nashua and Concord), I can say unequivocally that where you live in NH matters hardly at all; what you do once you get here is hugely, hugely important. You will be effective if you connect with the people in whatever place you decide to live: make friends with neighbors, write letters to the editor, volunteer at good organizations that you support. You will be effective if you pursue things that you enjoy doing, be it politics or media or civil disobedience or a blend of all of the above.

The future will be interesting.
Amen to that! :)

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 02:19:37 pm »

I guess I suggest that if this project is to have an impact on the political front, then it is about the activists that are in the state and there willingness to be "active" as part of a coordinated concept or agenda.  This would not require a formal infrastructure, but some sort of awareness of activity in order for others to build where needed to achieve an outcome of "Freedom in our Lifetime" as the project promotes.  The absence of this would seem to me that the silent members (a needed value) are future votes at best after actual activists have infiltrated the current control structure to a level where change can be engineered to a state of sovereign freedom. 

Much of what you're describing occurs spontaneously "on the ground" here in  NH.  In addition to formal/organized groups like NHLiberty.org (thanks Denis!), it's almost impossible to be even minimally active/observant and not know what activism is going on in the state once you're here.  All you have to do is check a few forums (this one, www.nhliberty.org/forum/, and www.nhunderground.com/forum), get yourself on some of the many meetup.com mailing lists, show up and talk to people at Taproom Tuesdays in Manchester, watch Dave Ridley's almost-daily reports, or probably a handful of others I'm forgetting about.  It's possible that there isn't a comprehensive, single clearinghouse for NH activism information, but if you establish any connections with people at all once you're here, you'd have to try hard to not be aware of the vast majority of what's going on.

More succinctly, activism here is self-organizing and spontaneous.  The 'awareness' you seek comes naturally with even minimal involvement.  It might appear chaotic from the outside, but I don't think that's really the case.

For myself I am trying to find a location in New Hampshire that participation as a free state project member can have added value to the project.  Short of that perhaps Maine or Vermont would better serve me for they may have specific laws passed that would keep me from being arrested where New Hampshire would not as it is constructed today.  If I was just moving to that region of the country for lifestyle reasons, New Hampshire is not equal on many levels, only the potential for surpassing the neighbor states by helping to "Manifest a Destiny" through the free state project.

Good point.  NH isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination.  I would argue that by aggregating all the liberty-related characteristics you can think of, NH comes out competitive or superior to all other states, and definitely versus VT and ME.  If you have a singular pet issue, of course it may be possible that another state is freer than NH in that regard.  Only you can decide whether you want to come to NH and work to make it more free -- for your pet issue, and perhaps for broader freedoms in general.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 02:23:25 pm by margomaps »

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 06:29:44 pm »

This page gives you a nice one-sentence summary of the kinds of community you’ll find in each of the major cities and towns freestaters have settled in. But the state is so small that there’s not much preventing you from spending a lot of time in any of these other places if you choose to live in a different one. Except maybe gas hitting $5/gal…

DCLXVI

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 07:07:26 pm »

I appreciate the links and the insight from the perspective of actually living in the state as opposed to preparing to move there and being limited to data not yet discovered.

The New Hampshire Liberty Alliance from what I have read seams be on the order of what i was looking for at the moment in this process of discovery.  I have not had a chance to thoroughly investigate the other forum sites content yet, but I shall.

Porc Manor I was familiar with from Free Talk Live advertisements, which is where I was exposed to the Free State Project from there podcasts.  I do appreciate the lead however and is one I have considered for the initial transition time in the establishing residency.

The NHLA had a very interesting .pdf for gaining a State Representative seat as far as process, etc.  Now  I am seeking to find data on these representatives to find which ones are voting in conflict to freedom and there vulnerability levels.

Perhaps there are suggestions to speed up my learning curve on acquiring that specific data.

Thank you for all the information, I do hope to establish residency by September of this year, so the 2 year period will begin prior to what I have read is an important filing point in the election processes.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 09:08:35 pm »

The NHLA had a very interesting .pdf for gaining a State Representative seat as far as process, etc.  Now  I am seeking to find data on these representatives to find which ones are voting in conflict to freedom and there vulnerability levels.
The Political Director of the NHLA is NH State Rep. Dan Itse. He's compiling exactly such a list of vulnerable, anti-liberty Reps. We'll be campaigning heavily in those districts (and feel free to donate to the NH Liberty Alliance PAC, to help us in that effort)

As for the identification of which Reps are pro- and anti-liberty, we produce such a ranking every year, based on their actual votes:
http://www.nhliberty.org/2007_liberty_rating

The 2008 Liberty Rating will be unveiled at the Liberty Dinner, which is also a great place to meet freedom-oriented State Reps and political activists.

I do hope to establish residency by September of this year, so the 2 year period will begin prior to what I have read is an important filing point in the election processes.
Wooo-hoooo!  8)  :D  8)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 09:10:43 pm by Denis Goddard »

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 06:05:34 pm »

My guess is the 'better' laws that you seek are related to pot... well there is a group for you as well.

NH Common sense... google it.

The fact is that no matter what laws are better in what state... things will start moving here in NH due to the concentration of activists.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 06:56:33 pm »

NH Common sense... google it.
Sheesh Dreep, you could just provide the URL:
http://nhcommonsense.org/

Slacker!

Dreepa