Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Dave from SC needs to do Kirby demos  (Read 16317 times)

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
Re: Dave from SC needs to do Kirby demos
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 09:48:37 pm »

Dave did a demo at my house and I was quite impressed with the machine (oh, and the salesman too).  I thought my Oreck was about the best around, but I guess I fell for the slick promotions without really looking into the suction facts.  That Kirby is a realy nice piece of engineering.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could also use it as a lawn mower and a snowblower.
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 08:58:12 am »

Any chance that I could rent someone's Kirby for the day, at least to test it out and get the entire house cleaned once and for all.

Sure.  Drop me an email and we'll figure something out.

I might bring some cuttings of Concord grapes and see if they will grow that far north, but I suspect I will either have to grow the wild fox grapes or some specialized northern types. If worst comes to worst I can always run down here to NJ during grape season and get enough grapes for jelly and such.

Depends where in NH... the Seacoast region is a micro-climate for grapes.  Check out Flag Hill Winery in Lee.  They had clippings available, although I called them a few days ago and they were all gone.  I presume they will have more, next year.

We're planting Cayuga and Niagara cuttings from Flag Hill, and we'll see how they do.  The climate should support them, but our site is not exactly ideal for grapes.  I know that Concord grapes will grow as far north as southern Grafton County, at least, because I know folks up there who have them.  Production is not as reliable there as it is down here.  According to the winery, when you start pushing west of Concord, north of Northwood, or East into Maine, you start to lose crops one year in five due to late frosts.

Whether the Concord grapes from NJ will do well up here is something I don't know.  Finding local sources for plants tends to mean that they are adapted to the conditions, even if they are the same variety.  I think we'll get some Concord cuttings from our friends up north, and see what they do down here.

Anyone know if Kirby has an attachment that will till the soil and dig holes for planting? ;D

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

NJLiberty

• FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 10:52:06 am »

Depends where in NH... the Seacoast region is a micro-climate for grapes.  Check out Flag Hill Winery in Lee.  They had clippings available, although I called them a few days ago and they were all gone.  I presume they will have more, next year.

We're planting Cayuga and Niagara cuttings from Flag Hill, and we'll see how they do.  The climate should support them, but our site is not exactly ideal for grapes.  I know that Concord grapes will grow as far north as southern Grafton County, at least, because I know folks up there who have them.  Production is not as reliable there as it is down here.  According to the winery, when you start pushing west of Concord, north of Northwood, or East into Maine, you start to lose crops one year in five due to late frosts.

Whether the Concord grapes from NJ will do well up here is something I don't know.  Finding local sources for plants tends to mean that they are adapted to the conditions, even if they are the same variety.  I think we'll get some Concord cuttings from our friends up north, and see what they do down here.

Anyone know if Kirby has an attachment that will till the soil and dig holes for planting? ;D

Joe

Thanks Joe. The worst thing that could happen is they die and I go buy more northern hardy ones. I'm not in love with these particular vines, they are just what I have. I have Niagaras here and they do well for me, but don't have enough grape flavor for my taste when they are turned into jelly. We just use those as table grapes.

George

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 01:23:17 pm »

Thanks Joe. The worst thing that could happen is they die and I go buy more northern hardy ones. I'm not in love with these particular vines, they are just what I have. I have Niagaras here and they do well for me, but don't have enough grape flavor for my taste when they are turned into jelly. We just use those as table grapes.

I doubt they will die.  The winery folks said they will pretty much grow anywhere in NH.  The issue seems to be that the fruit can get killed by an early frost (since this year's grapes were actually fertilized last year, and lay dormant all winter until they poke out in the spring).  If the fruit starts to form before the frosts are done, then the fruit will be destroyed, but the vine will still survive.  The further north and inland you go, the greater the odds of a late frost happening after the fruit starts up.  For personal use, losing a crop (or part of a crop) every few years isn't a big deal.

And yes, the Niagaras are mostly for table use.  The Cayuga should be for making some wine, and the Concord for, well, most other things.

Lots of things will actually grow here.  Just a matter of selecting the right crops.  We currently have, or will be planting this year: apple trees, pear trees, beach plum, hazelnuts, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, elderberries, roses, and many herbs.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

NJLiberty

• FSP Participant
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 09:56:53 pm »

I doubt they will die.  The winery folks said they will pretty much grow anywhere in NH.  The issue seems to be that the fruit can get killed by an early frost (since this year's grapes were actually fertilized last year, and lay dormant all winter until they poke out in the spring).  If the fruit starts to form before the frosts are done, then the fruit will be destroyed, but the vine will still survive.  The further north and inland you go, the greater the odds of a late frost happening after the fruit starts up.  For personal use, losing a crop (or part of a crop) every few years isn't a big deal.

And yes, the Niagaras are mostly for table use.  The Cayuga should be for making some wine, and the Concord for, well, most other things.

Lots of things will actually grow here.  Just a matter of selecting the right crops.  We currently have, or will be planting this year: apple trees, pear trees, beach plum, hazelnuts, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, elderberries, roses, and many herbs.

Joe

Sounds good to me. My grapes are very slow, at least by NJ standards. They are just leafing out right now and won't flower for weeks yet. Something ate all the Niagaras on me last year. One day they were there, the next they were gone, nothing but empty clusters  :(

If the Kirby could till and dig post holes it would truly be an awesome machine!

George

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 10:32:58 pm »

I hereby declare this thread hijacked.  Do I need to bring in the Federal Bureau of Instigation to start investigating this incident, or will the hijackers please go spawn another thread.

I don't know how you merged the use of a Kirby with growing grapes...
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 07:12:17 am »

I hereby declare this thread hijacked.  Do I need to bring in the Federal Bureau of Instigation to start investigating this incident, or will the hijackers please go spawn another thread.

I don't know how you merged the use of a Kirby with growing grapes...

There's nothing a Kirby can't do! :)

But yes, I was thinking that a moderator should split this thread...

Joe

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 10:31:09 pm »

I just bought a fairly old Kirby, and man, those things really suck.  I've just got to get some new attachments and wash that bag.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

mvpel

• FSP Participant
    • Aidoann
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 08:25:10 am »

We had a Kirby demo a few weeks ago, and were quite impressed at the technology.

My neighbor's sister has one that belonged to her grandmother, I gather.
New Hampshire Notary Public - Merrimack Valley Area - Silver Accepted

AncapAgency

• FSP Participant
  • First 1000 Member--MOVED!
    • The Ancap Agency
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2008, 10:31:46 pm »

Dave isn't doing the Kirby demos anymore.
The Ancap Agency  http://www.ancapagency.com

Resources - Solutions - Alternatives

Mediation--Casual Labor--Security Consulting--Firearms Training--General Services

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 01:39:10 pm »

Dave isn't doing the Kirby demos anymore.

Is that because he finished all his practice demos or quit selling?
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

Penfist

• FSP Participant
  • Work together to build something that lasts.
    • Penfist
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 09:22:39 pm »

Hey, how do you like your Kirby?  I've been thinking about getting one for my place.  It seemed like it did a great job cleaning up my house in Seabrook.  I couldn't believe how much junk Dave was able to pull out of my carpets.

Unfortunately, our Kirby only lasted six years and it was terrible (in relation to picking up dog hair). We have since switched to a Dyson. I love the Dyson - it has no belts that need constant replacing and it sucks like...well. It sucks really good.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
--Thomas Jefferson

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 02:43:31 pm »

Update on my Kirby.  I just plugged the thing in and it's dead.  It won't even turn over, so to speak.  Thankfully, it's only $50 down the drain, but I really needed a good vac to take care of this house.

NHArticleTen

• FSP Participant
  • Join The Ron Paul Write-In Revolution Today!
    • Adventures In Legal Land
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 05:19:49 pm »

Update on my Kirby.  I just plugged the thing in and it's dead.  It won't even turn over, so to speak.  Thankfully, it's only $50 down the drain, but I really needed a good vac to take care of this house.

It's not dead...
There are only a few reasons why your unit isn't working...

Generally you should check to make sure the outlet will power something else(so you know you have power)...
Then use the Kirby's cord as an extension cord if you have an old pre-polarized two prong plug to check for power flowing through the cord...
Then, with the cord plugged in normally, take the front "head" attachment off and manually check the condition of the safety/motor speed switch...
To do that, you'll note the position of the switch...it should be in the fully "up" position...some attachments depress the switch to the first speed position(partially down) and others depress it to the second speed position(fully down)...
You can manually move the switch through the positions with the power switch in the "on" position and observe these functions...
If either of the switches(power and safety/speed) has failed they are available through a variety of sources including online...
The only other "consumable" item would be the motor brushes(servicable item with disassembly)...

Whatever you do...don't disgard any of it...

Kirbys are almost ALWAYS easily repaired!

RAD

Enjoy!

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 06:39:04 pm »

I'll try that.  Thanks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

anything