Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Dave from SC needs to do Kirby demos  (Read 16320 times)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Dave from SC needs to do Kirby demos
« on: May 09, 2008, 06:57:29 pm »

Dave Thomas has a job performing Kirby demos for people's homes, condos, and apartments.  He's in need of folks who are willing to sit through a two hour demo while he cleans parts of your house for you.  He also vacuums and shampoos one of your rooms during the demo.  If anyone has about two hours free and/or a room that is in need of some extreme type of cleaning, it would really help him out with his job.

The Kirby systems last like 40 years, and are much better than standard over the counter machines, anyway.  Even if it's unlikely that you could get one now, it would definitely be a good thing for helping him to spread via word of mouth and keep referrals coming in.  He really needs to get a lot of demos done for his job, and you  may decide to get the Kirby after-all.  They're really good systems.  Also, they might be able to line up an older one if you can't afford the most recent model.

Even if you can only supply referrals afterwards, it would still help a bunch.  He goes by the name JuryRigged on the forums, and you can PM him if you would be interested.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
Re: Dave from SC needs to do Kirby demos
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 08:53:55 pm »

If he's at porcfest, I can give him some tips and critique his demo. I sold Kirby's for 3 years working most positions in the company during that period of time. Two of my buddies are still doing it 16 years later.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 10:25:34 pm »

He's welcome to clean a room for us, but we already have a Kirby, so he's not likely to make a sale.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 11:21:00 pm »

Hey, how do you like your Kirby?  I've been thinking about getting one for my place.  It seemed like it did a great job cleaning up my house in Seabrook.  I couldn't believe how much junk Dave was able to pull out of my carpets.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

NHArticleTen

• FSP Participant
  • Join The Ron Paul Write-In Revolution Today!
    • Adventures In Legal Land
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 08:10:31 am »

I have been a fan of the Kirby machine since I first operated one almost forty years ago.  At one point in between then and now I researched their sales structure and didn't approve of parts of their program.  The most objectionable was the fact that the route leader that drove the demonstrators around for their appointments in prospective purchaser's homes was able and willing to negotiate ALL of the demonstrator's commission out of the sale as part of the deal.  The route leader WAS NOT, however, permitted to negotiate away any other portion of the commission that was built into the price.  When I confronted the hierarchy, including the business owner himself, about this objectionable situation they acknowledged the practice but declined to discuss it.  Consequently, I have always recommended the Kirby machine, but have ALWAYS advised people to buy them used...NEVER NEW.

I have owned and used many wonderful Kirby models over the years and have experience maintaining and repairing them also.  I have rescued machines still in full working order from the curbside as their previous owners cast them out with the common refuse.  I have purchased used machines for various prices, never more than $100.00USD, and the most recent find was a newer one at a Goodwill store for around $5.00USD(very unusual to find one at Goodwill, probably a one in ten-thousand chance of that).  The five dollar one was in perfect working order and that model was then selling on Ebay for around $200.00 to $400.00USD so I advertised it on Craigslist for $200.00USD and sold it to a family from the Dover area for $100.00USD.  Go figure...

If you could go to a Kirby retail store and buy a new one without the then unnecessary "downstream" commissions(over $300.00USD twenty years ago) then I might recommend buying a new one but I would NEVER recommend even letting the demonstrator or the route leader(also called the "closer") into your private home.  It should also be noted that, at the time, I asked the owner how much he would personally sell a machine for and he quoted me the retail list with no negotiating(he even admitted that he enjoyed receiving the downstream commissions himself...needless to say he was most often found driving a Mercedes, wearing silk suits, enjoying fine dining with his very well-dressed and decorated trophy wife).  Go figure...

Again, with all the good used machines out there...I could NEVER, in good conscience, recommend buying a new one unless their sales structure has changed drastically from years past.

If I recall correctly the owner of the Kirby dealership bought the complete basic Kirby package(with attachments and shampooer) for $395.00USD, then sold them to the route leader for $495.00USD, who then sold them to the demonstrator for $595.00USD, and who then had the discretion to "close the sale" by negotiating the demonstrator's $200.00USD commission COMPLETELY AWAY.

As always, buyer beware...your mileage may vary...

Enjoy!

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »

That must have been quite some time ago. I was selling them for $1700 and our cost was $1200 to start going down as volume increased. The crew chief, office manager, lead setter and others got overrides out of that. The local distributor cost was $950 and the area distributor was something like $700, again, less with volume.

We used to buy or trade in used ones and if we couldn't close a sale on new one, would sell a used one. This practice was not condoned by the company and would have led to us being fired. Still, if I could pick up a nice used one for 3-4 bills, I'd make more selling it for $600 than a new one for $1,200.

Others did this more than I did since we had a different selling style. They went for quantity and I went for quality. Some salesmen were selling up to 35 per month but mostly giving them away counting on volume discounts and winning sales contests for profit. I averaged only 8 - 10 per month and made almost as much but my deals were mostly full boaters. A good salesman builds value, a poor salesman lowers his price.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

NHArticleTen

• FSP Participant
  • Join The Ron Paul Write-In Revolution Today!
    • Adventures In Legal Land
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 06:35:39 am »

That must have been quite some time ago. I was selling them for $1700 and our cost was $1200 to start going down as volume increased. The crew chief, office manager, lead setter and others got overrides out of that. The local distributor cost was $950 and the area distributor was something like $700, again, less with volume.

We used to buy or trade in used ones and if we couldn't close a sale on new one, would sell a used one. This practice was not condoned by the company and would have led to us being fired. Still, if I could pick up a nice used one for 3-4 bills, I'd make more selling it for $600 than a new one for $1,200.

Others did this more than I did since we had a different selling style. They went for quantity and I went for quality. Some salesmen were selling up to 35 per month but mostly giving them away counting on volume discounts and winning sales contests for profit. I averaged only 8 - 10 per month and made almost as much but my deals were mostly full boaters. A good salesman builds value, a poor salesman lowers his price.

No offense intended but...

"A good salesman builds value, a poor salesman lowers his price"

The above quote is equally accurate for the oldest "profession" also...

And...along that same "train" of thought...

In the free market...
A marketplace where aggression/force/fraud and looters, bureaucrats, jackboots, and mercenaries are totally absent...

Both salesmen of sucking services DON'T use the offensive, aggressive force of ANY mob to gain EXCLUSIVITY...

Go figure...

Enjoy!

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 07:52:22 am »

Hey, how do you like your Kirby?  I've been thinking about getting one for my place.  It seemed like it did a great job cleaning up my house in Seabrook.  I couldn't believe how much junk Dave was able to pull out of my carpets.

We'd been in the house for over a year and a half when we had them come by, and vacuuming pretty frequently because we have a toddler.  Still, the Kirby was pulling dog hair out of the carpet.  We don't own a dog.  The previous owners did.  They had paid for a professional carpet cleaning as part of the closing (the carpets were still damp when we did the final walk-through).

So, it was pulling up stuff that a professional cleaning and a year and a half of vacuuming hadn't managed to remove.

It's a business expense for me, in case I get a customer's carpet dirty when moving equipment through the house.  Despite the performance, I would not have purchased it right now if it hadn't been for that.  It's really actually owned by my business, but I can use it since it's sitting here, as long as I buy replacement bags in order to keep the finances separate.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

NJLiberty

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 10:00:49 am »

Do you all have a recommendation as far as models go? I have about a 1000 square foot house, about half carpeted.

Thanks,

George

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 10:57:56 am »

Here's my advice: don't ever clean your carpets.  When they get so disgusting that you or your spouse can't stand it anymore, replace the carpet with a hard floor like wood, laminate, or tile.  No more nasty carpets or the nasty crud they accumulate (witness Joe's carpet w/ dog hair -- and who knows what else! -- from the previous owner).

Of course some people really like the softness and relative warmth of carpet.  To these people, I say: get a "soft" hard floor like cork, and install radiant heat underneath it.  From now on, no more vacuuming, no more carpet cleaning.  Just some sweeping and an occasional mopping with mildly soapy water.

Ok, I'll get off my (hardwood) soapbox now.  Some people just like carpet for some reason -- I can accept that.  :)    (nutcases!  >:D)

NJLiberty

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 11:05:37 am »

Here's my advice: don't ever clean your carpets.  When they get so disgusting that you or your spouse can't stand it anymore, replace the carpet with a hard floor like wood, laminate, or tile.  No more nasty carpets or the nasty crud they accumulate (witness Joe's carpet w/ dog hair -- and who knows what else! -- from the previous owner).

Of course some people really like the softness and relative warmth of carpet.  To these people, I say: get a "soft" hard floor like cork, and install radiant heat underneath it.  From now on, no more vacuuming, no more carpet cleaning.  Just some sweeping and an occasional mopping with mildly soapy water.

Ok, I'll get off my (hardwood) soapbox now.  Some people just like carpet for some reason -- I can accept that.  :)    (nutcases!  >:D)

Unfortunately I rent so I am at the mercy of the landlord. I wish my house were like the one my grandma had, all hard wood except for a braid rug in the living room.

Wouldn't the cork absorb the mop water? I have never thought of using cork on a floor, but it would make sense.

George

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 11:47:22 am »

Unfortunately I rent so I am at the mercy of the landlord. I wish my house were like the one my grandma had, all hard wood except for a braid rug in the living room.

Wouldn't the cork absorb the mop water? I have never thought of using cork on a floor, but it would make sense.

George

Does your landlord let you run amok in the yard (I'm thinking of the extensive gardening you've mentioned in the past)?  I guess I can see why he wouldn't want you to modify the inside of the house, but it sure sounds like you can do what you want with the outside.  :)

Anyway, as to cork flooring...no, it doesn't really absorb water like you'd think.  Not if it's finished properly at any rate.  Here's a little blurb about cork flooring: http://www.corkfloor.com/faqs.html

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 04:51:31 pm »

Any chance that I could rent someone's Kirby for the day, at least to test it out and get the entire house cleaned once and for all.  Dave from SC picked up a huge amount of junk just from the landing in my stairs.  I hate thinking that all of that stuff is still built up in there.  He also pulled a lot of stuff out of my mattress and even my hardwood floors.

NJLiberty

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 07:04:51 pm »

Does your landlord let you run amok in the yard (I'm thinking of the extensive gardening you've mentioned in the past)?

Yes, I have complete freedom to run amok in the yard  :)

He's even offered to take down some trees to give me some more room to garden. If I were going to be here longer I would take him up on that, but it would be a waste to kill the trees just for a couple years, or one if I can get there this year. I will miss the walnut and hickory trees though.

My gardens aren't really that large, well I guess that depends on your point of view of course. You need less space than you might think to grow enough food to have fresh for the summer, and put up for the rest of the year. As long as you don't garden like a farmer, in long rows spaced far apart, you can get a whole lot of food out of a relatively small area. When I move I am going to leave the landlord the grapes and raspberries, the apple, crabapple, and cherry trees. The other soft fruits I am going to try and bring with me. I might bring some cuttings of Concord grapes and see if they will grow that far north, but I suspect I will either have to grow the wild fox grapes or some specialized northern types. If worst comes to worst I can always run down here to NJ during grape season and get enough grapes for jelly and such.

Thanks for the info on the cork floors. They sound like a very good idea.

George

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 07:28:43 pm »

Any chance that I could rent someone's Kirby for the day, at least to test it out and get the entire house cleaned once and for all.  Dave from SC picked up a huge amount of junk just from the landing in my stairs.  I hate thinking that all of that stuff is still built up in there.  He also pulled a lot of stuff out of my mattress and even my hardwood floors.

Sold mine before I left. Couldn't justify transporting and storing it till I find a place. I'll keep my eye open for a deal on another.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

anything