Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Designer / Sign Maker  (Read 13129 times)

JosephCHart

Designer / Sign Maker
« on: May 07, 2008, 07:56:26 pm »

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
Re: Designer / Sign Maker
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 06:31:14 pm »

Joseph,

Are you looking for a job in NH?  Are you seeking collaborations with people here on projects?

What about opening a sign store in Southern NH?  Is Fast Signs a good business to invest in and start up?

We Free Staters could use a man of your artistic and activist talents up here -- when are you moving?
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

JosephCHart

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 12:21:11 am »

Fast signs is a franchise, but Ive learned that in the sign business its free for all and a franchise doesnt give "better" service.  I would love to open my own, though I do not have enough equipment to get started.  I planned on working for an existing shop.

I plan on moving when i get a job... so ASAP! :)

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 08:11:05 pm »

I know a couple people in the printing biz around Manchester. 
Mover #491

JosephCHart

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 11:55:00 am »

I know a couple people in the printing biz around Manchester. 
Are they hiring?

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 07:08:28 pm »

One is getting OUT of the business.  But she knows people in the biz, so we can help network.  The other is owned by a friend's spouse.  I can certainly forward your resume if you'd like.  You should give me an idea of the types of jobs you'd be interested in.  I did read your objective, but narrow it down for me as it would relate to working for a printing house.
Mark
Mover #491

JosephCHart

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 12:52:20 am »

One is getting OUT of the business.  But she knows people in the biz, so we can help network.  The other is owned by a friend's spouse.  I can certainly forward your resume if you'd like.  You should give me an idea of the types of jobs you'd be interested in.  I did read your objective, but narrow it down for me as it would relate to working for a printing house.
Mark

A printing house?  As in book printing?  Ive been to a press and its all new to me.  I wouldnt mind learning and making a career out of it, but right now y skills lean to sign making and design.  I trying to widen my graphic design field.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 07:58:23 am »

I would love to open my own, though I do not have enough equipment to get started.  I planned on working for an existing shop.

What sort of equipment do you need?

Most of the signmaking shops I've seen are just folks running them out of their homes.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

JosephCHart

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 11:32:08 pm »

Plotter, Printer, Computer, and basic woodworking tools.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 06:54:54 am »

Plotter, Printer, Computer, and basic woodworking tools.

Other than the plotter, seems like stuff that could be found at yardsales or on Craigslist or Freecycle.

Start out working old-school, with stencils, until you make enough to afford the plotter?

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 06:02:43 am »

The printing and graphics plant in Merrimack has only one job opening at this time, that of a customer service rep.  It pays between $9 and $13 an hour DOE.  The link to the job description is http://www.papergraphicsonline.com/companyinfo/employment.html 
Mover #491

ny2nh

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 08:57:31 am »

It sounds like you make signs in the sense that you carve wood, etc. A lot of signs are done with cut vinyl/mylar and more and more are just digital prints now. That is where the graphic design skills come in. Then there is screen printed signs (like political lawn signs). NSP graphics is one the largest producers of this type of signs in the state. They also do the digital stuff (they do the advertising you would see around the field at a Manchester Wolves arena football game). They are located in Nashua.

JosephCHart

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 04:04:47 pm »

It sounds like you make signs in the sense that you carve wood, etc. A lot of signs are done with cut vinyl/mylar and more and more are just digital prints now. That is where the graphic design skills come in. Then there is screen printed signs (like political lawn signs). NSP graphics is one the largest producers of this type of signs in the state. They also do the digital stuff (they do the advertising you would see around the field at a Manchester Wolves arena football game). They are located in Nashua.
I can do any of that.  Typically its vinyl.

Lumpy

• Peaceful Loudmouth
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 06:39:38 pm »

Right up your alley Joe!  ;D  "Joe for it"
ok...  that was nerdy but I don't care.
Lumpy<br />“Stand Your Ground, Don’t Fire Unless Fired Upon. But If They Mean To Have War, Let it Start Here.” Captain John Parker, Lexington, Massachusetts April 19, 1775

JosephCHart

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 06:57:35 pm »

Not keeping all my eggs in one basic.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up