Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Vehicle property taxes for future mover.  (Read 11445 times)

AndrewP

Vehicle property taxes for future mover.
« on: May 06, 2008, 10:32:22 am »

I am still in Missouri and after moving counties last year I now must decide if I wish to declare my property (my vehicle) or not for taxation.  I intend to move to NH in fall of '09 and as I don't want to get pulled over every day for having expired out-of-state tags I feel it would be best to declare my vehicle, pay the taxes, get the NH plates, and proceed from that starting point. If I do not have a paid property tax receipt from my current county in Missouri, will NH still issue me plates?  I welcome any other advice or suggestions on the matter.

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Vehicle property taxes for future mover.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 11:08:50 am »

I am still in Missouri and after moving counties last year I now must decide if I wish to declare my property (my vehicle) or not for taxation.  I intend to move to NH in fall of '09 and as I don't want to get pulled over every day for having expired out-of-state tags I feel it would be best to declare my vehicle, pay the taxes, get the NH plates, and proceed from that starting point. If I do not have a paid property tax receipt from my current county in Missouri, will NH still issue me plates?  I welcome any other advice or suggestions on the matter.

I really don't think NH cares about your property tax receipt from Missouri, but I could be wrong.

NH wants to see the vehicle title and/or sales receipt if you just bought it.  I'm pretty sure that + some form of accepted ID and proof of residency would be what it takes to get NH plates.

Hopefully your car is more than a couple years old, since NH has a "progressive" vehicle registration fee based on the age of the vehicle.  Brand new cars get taxed the most heavily, 2 year old cars slightly less so, and so on.  If your car isn't exotically expensive, and 5 or more years old the yearly registration fees aren't too horrible.

AndrewP

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 11:30:06 am »

I only buy older vehicles as I prefer to wait until they've depreciated significantly and I can pay cash and lower taxes. :)
I have a '97 Nissan Altima but I plan on getting an '00-02 pickup before I move, so I guess I shouldn't expect much expense.

I'll have to dig around the DOR/DOT websites to see what they require.  I know there's likely a difference though between what is required and what they actually expect.  If I have to I'll grudgingly declare this year to get the receipt.  Just hoping to get out of here without giving these people another dime.  It's really gone downhill around here.

AndrewP

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 07:47:08 am »

Excellent.  According to DMV.org no tax receipt is expected at time of titling and registration.  This past year has been a tyrannical one here in Kansas City and Missouri in general and I'm tired of paying for it.  The city even has an income tax and still has to take out loans to balance the budget!  Madness!

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 08:46:21 am »

Excellent.  According to DMV.org no tax receipt is expected at time of titling and registration.  This past year has been a tyrannical one here in Kansas City and Missouri in general and I'm tired of paying for it.  The city even has an income tax and still has to take out loans to balance the budget!  Madness!

To be fair, NH is not immune to tyranny.  This past year the newly-crowned Democrats raised the state's budget by more than 17%, without a plan for paying for it.  Guess what?  Now the governor is looking to add some new sin taxes on tobacco and gambling to make up for the budget shortfall:

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Sin+tax+to+save+the+day+in+NH%3F&articleId=e44481cb-622f-4682-9dde-6bd231060130

I never imagined the people of NH would fall for the Democrats' rhetoric like they did back in 2006.  This year's elections are an opportunity for NH to redeem itself and realize the colossal mistake it made putting the Dems in power.    fingers crossed

AndrewP

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:49:59 am »

Understood, but the atmosphere here is apparently what people want.  The city is extremely left-wing and the state is extremely right.  My own employer, a small business owner, is an Al Gore humping Obama supporter.  How crazy is that?  From what I've found looking at other states NH is still the best starting point to turn this trend around.  All the better with the FSP there.

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 11:51:35 am »

Understood, but the atmosphere here is apparently what people want.  The city is extremely left-wing and the state is extremely right.  My own employer, a small business owner, is an Al Gore humping Obama supporter.  How crazy is that?  From what I've found looking at other states NH is still the best starting point to turn this trend around.  All the better with the FSP there.

Oh yes, I didn't mean to suggest that NH was a bad choice.  We have our work cut out for us here, but due to the structure of the state government, and a fair number of allies -- both NH citizenry and Republicans in the state house -- activists can really be effective here.

If NH elects the same destructive Dems back into power this fall, even after all the havoc they've created in such a short period of time, one could legitimately argue that this is the atmosphere the people in NH apparently want as well.  Even though almost half of us find it abhorrent and utterly anathema to liberty.  Only democracy could create such a vexing and destructive division!

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 09:55:48 am »

Probably 80% of Dem politicians are just running a scam, plain and simple.  The party has changed so much, and all they do now is use the state, school district, courts, and anything else they can get control of to steal everything that isn't bolted down.  You have to see it first hand before you can really appreciate it.  They are only there to squeeze the general public of every dollar they can.  I have absolutely no respect for these people or their supporters.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

ny2nh

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 07:31:22 am »

NH wants to see the vehicle title and/or sales receipt if you just bought it.  I'm pretty sure that + some form of accepted ID and proof of residency would be what it takes to get NH plates.

Hopefully your car is more than a couple years old, since NH has a "progressive" vehicle registration fee based on the age of the vehicle.  Brand new cars get taxed the most heavily, 2 year old cars slightly less so, and so on.  If your car isn't exotically expensive, and 5 or more years old the yearly registration fees aren't too horrible.

Actually NH's registration fees are the same, it is the municipality where you reside that collects the tax on your vehicle - and that varies from town to town as well as is dependent on the value of the vehicle.

I have bottomed out on the taxes now on my 99 Cherokee - I pay the City of Manchester $77.50 in taxes each year and I pay $43.20 to the State of NH for my actual registration for the year.

What you have already paid to MO has nothing to do with NH.

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 09:28:08 am »

Actually NH's registration fees are the same, it is the municipality where you reside that collects the tax on your vehicle - and that varies from town to town as well as is dependent on the value of the vehicle.

Yes, yes, I was just trying to simplifying the explanation.  I should have said something like, "In NH you will pay taxes based on the age and value of your car.  Individual towns have their own schedules of depreciation."

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 12:51:51 pm »

No... depreciation is by a dealer's (blue) book valuation. Same valuation each municipality, just different rate (property tax).

The Legislative session ends pretty soon... any bills with attachments for new/increased taxes left?

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 01:06:31 pm »

No... depreciation is by a dealer's (blue) book valuation. Same valuation each municipality, just different rate (property tax).

The Legislative session ends pretty soon... any bills with attachments for new/increased taxes left?

Whatever.  Who let the pedantics out?  Please, someone put them back in and lock the door this time!   ;D

AndrewP

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 11:04:36 am »

What you have already paid to MO has nothing to do with NH.
Good to see NH doesn't work the same as MO.  Here you have to get your vehicle inspected annually or bi-annually, depending on model year, to get a registration sticker to put on the plate.  When you go to get your new sticker, you have to present the prior year's property tax receipt.  If you're moving in to MO from another state, you have to show that state's receipt.  It's their way of enforcing payment.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 04:58:17 pm »

NH - you register and inspect... but any previously owed sums are under licensing. Licensing comes first, and that's how they enforce the constitutional mandate to uphold rulings from other jurisdictions.

AndrewP

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 07:49:02 am »

How does it work?  You have to show your receipt when you get or renew your DL?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up