Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Getting A Passport Without A SSN  (Read 35987 times)

SovereignMan

Help Getting A Passport Without A SSN
« on: April 29, 2008, 01:31:55 am »

Hi Folks,

I'm about to apply for a passport using "religious objector" to the SSN.  I believe there is still a religious exemption.

Does anyone know where I can get the specific law in case they give me a hassle?

Has anyone had experience getting a passport without a SSN?

Thanks

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Help Getting A Passport Without A SSN
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 01:06:50 pm »

Good luck..

Do you have an SSN?  Then you need to provide it.
If you have one.. you need to go in a 'get rid of it' telling the SSA that you don't want it for religious reasons.

I have been dealing with the SSA for the past month...not fun.

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 10:08:13 pm »

Yes! I have a passport and did not provide a ss#. If you read the application, on the back of the last page it states that the IRS will fine you $500 for failure to disclose the number. The clerk claimed that I need to fill it out. I ended up speaking to a supervisor who pointed to the penalty clause. My response was "no problem, the IRS can fine me $500. I can afford it. Please tell them to send me a bill and in the meantime, process my application. Six weeks later I received my passport. I will say that a friend went with me and turned in their app at the same time. They did disclose and got the goods in two weeks so be prepared for a delay.

There is no law which requires you to have one so there can be no law which requires you to disclose what you're not required to have. No word from the IRS 5 years and one passport renewal later (I did not include a ss# on the renewal app either).

Here is word straight from the horses' ass mouth. See number 5. That's from the Department of State.

http://dosfan.lib.uic.edu/ERC/travel/passport/p6.html
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

Jitgos

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 02:06:09 pm »

That's awesome Keyser! Thanks for the resource and thanks for the courage to do this. I would have loved to have seen the face of the person you told to go ahead and fine me... lol... she'd probably never heard that one before.

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 07:37:44 pm »

That's awesome Keyser! Thanks for the resource and thanks for the courage to do this. I would have loved to have seen the face of the person you told to go ahead and fine me... lol... she'd probably never heard that one before.

I must admit it was priceless.   8)
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

SovereignMan

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 10:25:22 pm »

Folks, I just got a letter back from the State Department trying to extort more info.  I met their requirements (birth certificate and DL).

Suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 11:41:42 pm »

Could you scan and post or transcribe the letter?

Jitgos

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 11:58:55 pm »

Folks, I just got a letter back from the State Department trying to extort more info.  I met their requirements (birth certificate and DL).

Thanks

Like what kind of info do they want? I'm very interested b/c I'll be trying to get one pretty soon as I plan to visit the Dominican Republic next year on business/vacation.

SovereignMan

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 05:11:40 am »

The supplemental sheet has number at the bottom ( 05/2002 PPT/HH).  Is that and OMB number or something else?

Does anyone know how to validate an OMB number?

Thanks

SovereignMan

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 05:18:32 am »

Heres a screenshot.  Hope it goes through...

SovereignMan

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 05:45:06 am »

Hello,

Been checking a little more on the OMB control number.

Here's a few links of interest...
http://rgov.org/omb-control-numbers

https://rproxy.nist.gov/HRMD/ombctlno.html

"OMB Control No: 0690-0019 -

Notwithstanding any other provision of the law, no person is required to respond to, nor shall any person be subject to a penalty for failure to comply with, a collection of information subject to the requirements of the Paperwork Reduction Act, (PRA) unless that collection displays a currently valid Office of Management and Budget (OMB) control number.. "

Does anyone know where I can check on the validity of any OMB control numbers?

Thanks

SovereignMan

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 12:34:49 pm »

... The letter also came with a round neon green sticker attached to the upper left corner.  Anyone know what that sticker means?  It would be easy to remove without a trace.

Jitgos

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 01:24:48 pm »

Hmmm.. I remember reading a few years ago about those numbers and how they're not valid anymore for some reason, but damn if I can remember specifics. You might try asking at the nhfree.com forums. There are a bunch of like-minded get out of the system types over there that might not monitor this forum as much. I'm just getting into this stuff myself.

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 09:06:37 pm »

Thanks

Like what kind of info do they want? I'm very interested b/c I'll be trying to get one pretty soon as I plan to visit the Dominican Republic next year on business/vacation.

I had a great time there last year. Check out La Romana if you have a chance to get off the beaten path.

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 09:31:46 pm »

I don't know what the green sticker means. I would guess an internal office procedure to help them process applications.

Their requirements are fluid. Unlike a drivers license, the passport office researches public records to verify the documents submitted. If you used an invalid birth certificate to get the dl, the application will not be approved. The birth certificate needs to be on file in a county court house.

The OMB number issued will not get you anywhere because not approving your application is not going to be considered "a penalty". The items they are asking for should be easy enough to come up with. I did notice that a social security number was not among the items requested which makes me happy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up