Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 2009 Speaker Ideas  (Read 27292 times)

Ron Helwig

• FSP Participant
    • Shire Silver
Re: 2009 Speaker Ideas
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 06:24:34 am »

Isn't the Ayn Rand Institute really neo-con? I think there's an alternative Objectivist organization that is more consistent philosophically and seems more popular with FSPers. Just did a quick search. Is it The Atlas Society? There's something called The Objectivist Center which claims the honor of "the most respected independent source of information about Objectivism".

I'm not an authority on the subject by any means. I'm just kind of objectivistish. Just comments from the peanut gallery.

My take on it is that ARI is the group that believes that Ayn Rand was basically a god and infallible. TOC (AKA Atlas Society) is the more rational group that believes that Ayn Rand had some great ideas that could maybe use some additional research/debate/tweaking.

I'd prefer folks from TOC over ARI. The Hudgins speech was one of the very few events I went to at the last LF (I like working at it better than doing the events - I've been around long enough to have heard almost everything).
Are you a Next 1000 liberty activist?

Rebuild the precious metal economy with Shire Silver

NHArticleTen

• FSP Participant
  • Join The Ron Paul Write-In Revolution Today!
    • Adventures In Legal Land
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 09:14:59 am »

Kevin Kelly

www.kk.org

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 10:34:07 am »

Isn't the Ayn Rand Institute really neo-con? I think there's an alternative Objectivist organization that is more consistent philosophically and seems more popular with FSPers. Just did a quick search. Is it The Atlas Society? There's something called The Objectivist Center which claims the honor of "the most respected independent source of information about Objectivism".

I'm not an authority on the subject by any means. I'm just kind of objectivistish. Just comments from the peanut gallery.

We had a great speaker from the Atlas Society last year.
Edward L. Hudgins spoke.  He was a great speaker and a really nice guy as well.

Oh, you're kidding! I worked for him when I interned at Cato (and he worked at Cato) back in 1997.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Slim

• FSP Participant
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2008, 05:46:38 pm »

I had a few more ideas for speakers that I would like to see at the NHLF 09

1. Glen Jacobs (aka Kane from the WWE) Glen is a great writer and I think would be a very intellectual speech
2. Barry Cooper, had a great session at last year's LF
3. A speaker from LEAP I enjoyed all the LEAP speakers I have seen
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen. Speech has allowed the communication of ideas, enabling human beings to work together to build the impossible. Mankind's greatest achievements have come about by talking, and its greatest failures by not talking. It doesn't have to be like this. Our greatest hopes could become reality in the future. With the technology at our disposal, the possibilities are unbounded. All we need to do is make sure we keep talking.  -Stephen Hawking

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2008, 05:48:12 pm »

Harry Browne!
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

freedomroad

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2008, 06:37:42 pm »

Harry Browne!

Harry Browne is the best pro-freedom speaker I have ever heard or heard about.  There may be better pro-freedom speakers than Harry Browne, but they are also dead.

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2008, 06:43:54 pm »

Harry Browne is the best pro-freedom speaker I have ever heard or heard about.

I couldn't agree more.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2008, 09:40:15 pm »

We had a great speaker from the Atlas Society last year.
Edward L. Hudgins spoke.  He was a great speaker and a really nice guy as well.

Oh, you're kidding! I worked for him when I interned at Cato (and he worked at Cato) back in 1997.

See you should really make these events.

V.. yes those names are on the list.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2008, 09:41:17 pm »

Also one goal is to not have any repeat speakers this year.  (with one possible exception)

shutdownthefed

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2008, 11:04:37 am »

How about Alex Jones?   email him at   aaron@infowars.com

Slim

• FSP Participant
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2008, 09:15:22 am »

Also one goal is to not have any repeat speakers this year.  (with one possible exception)

Let me guess the one exception is a person who has 2 first names?
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen. Speech has allowed the communication of ideas, enabling human beings to work together to build the impossible. Mankind's greatest achievements have come about by talking, and its greatest failures by not talking. It doesn't have to be like this. Our greatest hopes could become reality in the future. With the technology at our disposal, the possibilities are unbounded. All we need to do is make sure we keep talking.  -Stephen Hawking

MengerFan

• FSP Participant
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2008, 04:30:11 pm »

Maybe you could have the manager of the Crowne Plaza give a talk on the importance of customer service in the Free State.  :P

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2008, 10:06:32 pm »

Maybe you could have the manager of the Crowne Plaza give a talk on the importance of customer service in the Free State.  :P

I will see if I can work that in.

I did talk to them about 2 events from last year.
And I have 2 more talks about 2 different events to go.

freedomroad

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2008, 10:09:27 pm »

I second the Alex Jones suggestion.  He seems to be a real entertaining guy and he loves attention.  Plus, he has a very loyal following.  Oh, another plus, when people call up to FTL and mention Alex Jones, Mark and Ian cannot shrug him off because they will have met the guy.

Slim

• FSP Participant
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2008, 11:00:33 am »

Menger maybe you could hire one of your competitors to come in and threaten to break the manager's legs.  ;D

One good thing about the 09 LF is that a fascist, totalitarian politician will not be sleeping under the same roof as us liberty lovers.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up