Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving with cats  (Read 3408 times)

pinkiemarie

Moving with cats
« on: April 22, 2008, 08:32:52 am »

Hey guys!  Need some advice.

I'll be moving to NH in August, and I've come to the conclusion that it will be best to sell almost everything I own (keeping clothes, computer, family heirlooms, etc).  My problem is this--I have a small car which can't really pull a trailer, and I have 3 cats.  So even with the relatively small amount of crap I'll be brining, I won't have room for that and the cats.  Have any of you ever moved cats on a plane?  I don't want them going with the baggage--I've heard bad stories about animals put in the bottom of plans.  Any advice on what to do with my kitties (aka my kids) would be HIGHLY appreciated! 

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Moving with cats
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 08:39:42 am »

I have flown with cats.
I think you have to pay extra to bring them up above.
I *think* that there is a limit to 2 animals per plane ride.  (I don't know where I heard this... it might be airline specific)

Ron Helwig

• FSP Participant
    • Shire Silver
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 08:54:14 am »

You might ship/mail some of the stuff that won't fit in the car. Maybe also look into a car top carrier.

I moved here about 3 years ago, doing essentially the same (although I have an SUV). I packed the car except for the two front seats, and got rid of everything else. Otis rode in the front passenger seat, and I stopped every now and then to let him out to do his thing  ;)

We got food and water at Burger Kings along the way (veggie burgers for me, and plain burgers for Otis). When I had to stop for the night, I got lucky and the first hotel I tried did allow dogs.
Are you a Next 1000 liberty activist?

Rebuild the precious metal economy with Shire Silver

pinkiemarie

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:10:58 am »

I have flown with cats.
I *think* that there is a limit to 2 animals per plane ride.  (I don't know where I heard this... it might be airline specific)

Did you fly *with* the cats?  I'm wondering if they'll allow me to send them above if I'm not there with them since I'm driving.

pinkiemarie

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 09:23:15 am »

And a car top carrier...why have I never thought of this? :)

TomAlciere

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 02:17:22 pm »

Red Roof Inn in Nashua, Hillsborough County, allows you to have cats in your room.

lastlady

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 03:00:04 pm »

I have flown with cats.

Did you fly *with* the cats?  I'm wondering if they'll allow me to send them above if I'm not there with them since I'm driving.

A much more effective way to find out specifically what you need to know is to call the airlines and ask them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up