Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Immigration  (Read 8405 times)

chimney

Re: Immigration
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 09:29:58 am »

The New Hampshire idea started with one person! I'm sure we'll be able to attract more once we've decided on a place and start advertising it. With the size of the places we're looking at we won't need anything like the numbers of the FSP. In Cornwall for example 200 activists could make an enormous difference to the political process and election outcomes. The Liberal Democrats win almost everything with a couple of hundred active members across the whole of Cornwall. If we focused our energies in a couple of seats we could start winning things fairly quickly.

chimney

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 05:32:17 am »

There is one other possibility - emigrating to Canada. It's far far easier than getting into the US (look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/ for details), it's freer than most other countries, it's easier to get US citizenship if you're a Canadian citizen, and if this North American Union goes ahead then it would be even easier. We'd also be able to spend time campaigning in NH which is difficult when you're stuck in Europe! It's a long term strategy but one that could actually work, and we'd be freer in the meantime.

Edit: I've done the points test and another year's work experience and I'm in ;D

You can do the test here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp I expect you'll all qualify already as you seem to be a bit older and will therefore have enough work experience.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 06:53:05 am by chimney »

lasse

• FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 09:45:22 am »

If 'by a bit older' you mean 19, then yea. :D

No, I don't qualify, and I calculated a few years ahead as well (because right now I have, well, nothing).
(not that lasse, the other lasse)

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil - Isaiah 5:20

chimney

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 11:12:33 am »

Ah, ok, I'm 22 :) I'm finishing uni next month and after a year as a journalist I'll qualify.

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 02:53:23 pm »

It's the cost and effort involved in sponsoring someone. Between the legal fees and immigration filing fees a non-immigrant work visa will easily cost about $5000. Green card process can cost around $20,000, especially if the employee has a family.

Not to mention dealing with the department of labor and the immigration, complying with a myriad of moronic and often contradictory requirements, opening your business to government scrutiny... That's more than a lot of companies wan to to take on, especially the small businesses.
Plus, the whole process can by stopped on a whim of the authorities and the business loses all the money they put into the matter. I can perfectly understand this and don't whine. I just have to accomodate myself to the thought that I will not see the Free State in this life, and look for alternatives.

Even with your experience you couldn't find an interested employer? Jebus. Out of curiosity did you query the employers you mentioned to me with regards to initially working in Europe with a move to the US after a year? I interviewed with Avanade about 4 years ago and they claimed this wouldn't be an issue but then they might just have been lying (companies lying to recruit - who would have thunk of it :-)).