Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Porcfest Cartoon Ad  (Read 19473 times)

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
Re: Porcfest Cartoon Ad
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 11:48:16 pm »

One thing I’ve noticed is the porcupine is so dark I can barely make out the black outlines within the dark brown. (This is on a CRT, which generally has poorer contrast than flat panels, so maybe it looks all right to you.)

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 07:31:36 am »

OK, the toon is up as of about 1am this morning. I can take a few deep breaths now and stop stressing about that. I was in the middle of doing the layout for the full-page strip that I had planned when an idea hit me that needed to happen before that one chronologically. Good news is it was a standard size and more good news is I did finish the layout and scripting for what is now going to be next week's strip.

So, about that ad...
:)

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2008, 11:16:58 am »

* crickets *

Guys, I'm doing a bonus cartoon this week for tax day so please don't wait until a really inopportune time to get back to me with change requests or we'll be in the same situation again.  :-\ Let's try to resolve this to your satisfaction soon if possible.

flaherty

• Lattitude Zine
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2008, 08:03:03 am »

I'm opting for Come to New Hampshire as the only change, however, I don't even see it as necessary. It (a project) gets to the point where you have to evaluate the time invested and the actual relevance to all the work still being poured into it. I think in the current state (the latest versions) gets the message across as well as providing the relevant information. Not much more you can ask for is there?

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2008, 08:10:39 am »

I'm about to drive out to Keene for the baby shower. I might be able to find a break in the activity to make some changes though.

One thing I wanted to point out, which kind of sux, is the background wasn't white before. It was transparent. I didn't realize cause I kept seeing it on a white background. I think that means we were getting a discount on the size that we didn't know about. Unfortunately I don't think a transparent background is a good idea because blog backgrounds will be different. I'll tinker around a bit with it as soon as I can, hopefully later today.

:-\

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2008, 06:20:44 pm »

I think you're about there, Dale, with the ad.  As long as you can work out the size/background details, we have a nice ad here.  My former comments still stand, but they are relatively minor, and overall it looks like you've captured the feel you were going for.  I see myself in that porcupine . . .    ;)
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2008, 10:19:11 am »

OK, I have what I think is good news. Bare with me as this is a learning process for me, but I should be able to remove a lot of the ugly pixels that are being oddly generated when I reduce the colors down. This means I should be able to generate a small image with just 32 colors (5 bit color indexing) and then go in and twiddle out the ugly pixels. I don't for the life of me understand why the GIMP is producing a few bright pixels in the middle of a light brown porcupine or in a clear blue sky. Based on my understanding of GIF color indexing, this process shouldn't make the file size any larger. In fact, based on the GIF method of coding images, it might make it a bit smaller.

Now, having said that, understand this. It's a tedious process to do that and every time I regenerate the image from my vector graphics program (where I'm drawing it) to a .png and then use GIMP to reduce it down to 32 colors for size, it's going to reverse all that work I did. Therefore, I'm asking for a confident response as to the final design. I'll go ahead and post them with the ugly pixels and let me know if those designs are OK, and I'll then do my best to clean them up a bit. If you come back after that tedious process with suggestions for changes, I can't promise I'm going to respond in a cheerful manner.  ;)

OK, so what I have done is lightened the porcupine per J'Raxis' suggestion, which I think is a good call. It's closer to a porcupine color and should be clearer and easier to see anyway, as well as making his teardrop stand out better in the first frame. I've made the sky blue in the 2nd and 3rd frames and left it a light gray in the 1st frame (pollution) so we have a nice contrast of dreary depressing colors that transition to happy bright colors, smiling porcupine in the 2nd frame. I removed any transparency so the ad should look consistent on different background colors. I changed "See New Hampshire" to "Discover New Hampshire". Otherwise the text is the same because people seemed happy with it otherwise with the extra time for reading it. Frame timing can be changed easily, btw, without having to regenerate the image and destroy my touch-ups. Image is attached. Be sure to view it in a browser if it doesn't appear to be animated.

Dale

Rich Goldman

• FSP Participant
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2008, 11:18:22 am »

I agree, Discover New Hampshire is good.  I say content wise, it's ready to roll.  Correct the colors and let's get this posted on some Blogs and websites :-)
    -Rich
--
Rich Goldman
Head Organizer, PorcFest 2007 & 2008

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2008, 01:59:07 pm »

OK, guys, this is the cleaned up version of the ad. Painting out those mutant pixels made the file size smaller as I predicted. I left the icky pixels on the ground in the first frame because it makes it look kind of dirty, a serendipitous side effect of the process since it's supposed to look trashy and depressing.

flaherty

• Lattitude Zine
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2008, 05:38:01 pm »

looks great dale.
just got it up and running. ;D

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2008, 07:24:07 pm »

Probably too late to tell you now, but Gimp can be set to index colors without “dithering” (that’s what the introduction of those nasty pixels is called—it’s trying to simulate a third color by blending two colors in a pattern, and failing at it).

The reason the pixels make the file bigger is because GIF is a compressed file format, and you’re adding information to the files. GIF and PNG compress flat fields of color efficiently, but if there are random dots all over the field, that information has to be stored, too.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »

Yeah, I wish you'd told me earlier. :) I think I learned that term back in school but it's been so long. I tried all kinds of different things. I clicked different settings and saved it over and over trying to get it small enough. *sigh*

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2008, 09:48:53 pm »

The toon kicks ass!
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2008, 06:02:46 pm »

Here's the ad resized to 125 by 125. I moved things around and was able to increase the colors quite a lot and still keep it small with the new dimensions. Make sure you view it in a browser if it does not appear to be changing frames.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up