Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Grafton?  (Read 12616 times)

pinkmandy

Grafton?
« on: March 10, 2008, 09:07:10 am »

We're looking at Grafton because of preferring rural and our homeschooling. If there's somewhere else I should be eyeing, please chime in!

We are having a hard time getting our ducks in a row. It isn't easy making this move with a family, most of what I've seen seems geared for single people or nonparents. A family of 5- finding a house (not apartment) in decent area and employment is a bit overwhelming. We need to line everything up and are just going in circles it seems. Money is an issue because we own our house in VA and until that sells we'll be paying mortgage here and rent in NH. Right now we *just* pay our bills each month so we don't have a lot of wiggle room. We're looking at putting our house on the market the beginning of April (yay) and going ahead and moving. I guess I'm just impatient and want everything squared away.

I don't know what I'm asking or what kind of advice I'm seeking, I'm just overwhelmed. I see a lot of info on Keene or Manchester, info on apartments, etc. but so very little for people like us.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
Re: Grafton?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 09:27:55 am »

We’ve got a bunch of people out in Grafton. I’ve let the guys whose FSP forum screen names know you’re looking to move there and need help. I’m in Manchester now but will probably be moving out there myself within a couple years.

NHArticleTen

• FSP Participant
  • Join The Ron Paul Write-In Revolution Today!
    • Adventures In Legal Land
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 11:34:33 am »

Your "mileage may vary" and your situation may, or may not, be similar...

But, the sooner you sell the "real estate"...the better...in most cases...IMHO...

Personally I would not wait...
And I wouldn't "hold out" for anything above 80 percent of current market value(calculated on a DAILY basis...yes, the market is that volatile)...

In two weeks I might have to even reconsider the "80 percent"...and make that "70 percent"...

Some people are already just "walking away" from their homes and mortgages...

If your home doesn't sell...you may either get stuck...or have to walk away...

I cannot stress enough the benefits of acting immediately to secure your position...

For example...
In 2002 I recommended that everyone convert their "wealth" into physical silver...when silver was floating around $4.25 to $5.00 per oz.

For reference, figure your increase in "financial position" from then to now...
Say you bought $10K of silver in 2002...
It would now be worth $40K...

That's a 300 percent increase with no effort on your part other than secure storage...

Now consider the position of someone who bought $100K in silver at $5.00 per oz in 2002...
And sold a home that they had $100K invested in...for $400K during a time of a hugely over-inflated market prices(due to cheap credit and "loose" mortgages)...
And then bought $300K in $10.00 per oz silver...
And rented a "hole in the wall" with their current earnings and with the original $100K in a floating "damage control" position...

So you have a $300K increase with the silver...
And you have a $300K increase with the sale of the real estate...
And you have a $300K increase with the silver from the $10.00 per oz buy(silver went from $10 to $20 per oz)...
And you still have that $100K "floating"...
And remember that original $100K of the silver investment...

So you've increased your position from $200K($100K silver and $100K invested in home) to $1.1M...an increase of $900K without any real "labor"...

Pretty neat!

Enjoy!

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 07:06:19 pm »

We're looking at Grafton because of preferring rural and our homeschooling. If there's somewhere else I should be eyeing, please chime in!

We are having a hard time getting our ducks in a row. It isn't easy making this move with a family, most of what I've seen seems geared for single people or nonparents. A family of 5- finding a house (not apartment) in decent area and employment is a bit overwhelming. We need to line everything up and are just going in circles it seems. Money is an issue because we own our house in VA and until that sells we'll be paying mortgage here and rent in NH. Right now we *just* pay our bills each month so we don't have a lot of wiggle room. We're looking at putting our house on the market the beginning of April (yay) and going ahead and moving. I guess I'm just impatient and want everything squared away.

I don't know what I'm asking or what kind of advice I'm seeking, I'm just overwhelmed. I see a lot of info on Keene or Manchester, info on apartments, etc. but so very little for people like us.
Grafton specific
Good news: Grafton is all rural and is full of homeschoolers.
Bad news: It will be really hard to find a home in that particular area for a family ... there are not that many homes for sale here.
You will not find any employment there.
There are no "decent areas" in Grafton.

NH
Good news: Much of NH is rural .... depending on what you mean by that ... and full of homeschoolers
It is easy to find a home somewhere .... near employment .... and in decent areas. Those might not be rural.

You have a lot of variables. You can find everything you are used to in VA except for fed gov jobs. :)

Selling your home sounds like a good idea.
Buying another one might be a good idea.
Getting a job in NH sounds good. :)

So which are you going to do first?
For many families ... especially who have no large savings ... they have to wait until a good job opportunity comes up. Others can move when their house sells and start again here. :)

Maybe you have too many ducks to line up ... maybe just one at a time :) we can help tell you what options there are here. Once you start tackling each problem, I am sure you can find a solution in nh. We have houses, jobs, friends and as a bonus this winter SNOW ;)

The Grafton welcome wagon is always happy to have another homeschooling family join us. But if another place is more appropriate ... you can visit Burning Porcupine in the summers. :)

Grafton is for serious liberty lovers .... and we keep finding them ... and they keep finding us. ;D
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 05:17:54 am »

pinkmandy, check your PMs.

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 10:20:33 am »

We all wish you luck.

Like Russell said, if rural and homeschooling is your criteria, you are in luck. Most of NH is rural and homeschoolers are everywhere.

Grafton is great, but few houses and no jobs. The commute to most jobs would be at least a half an hour. There are probably a hundred other towns that have houses and are within 15 minutes of jobs and still have rural atmosphere. A small difference in time is a big difference in miles. Think $4 gas .

Like Rob said, don't hold out for big bucks on the house. It isn't going to happen. Try to get out without taking money to the table and maybe have some left over to get established here. Clean house, move all clutter and a lot of furniture out, get it on the market. If you don't have an offer in a couple of weeks, it isn't priced right. I am no expert, but I have been there many times.

Cathleen

pinkmandy

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 11:54:07 am »

Thanks so much everyone! What other rural towns would you recommend? We are planning a trip to visit NH the weekend after Easter, just us and no kiddos. We should have 2 full days to drive around and look- where should we start looking?

1. rural is a must- we like to garden, we like privacy
2. we will be renting initially
3. active homeschooling community wanted- preferably one that isn't focused on religion. In my area in VA it's hard to meet homeschoolers who don't insert religion in most activities and who don't judge those of us who aren't very religious by their definitions

Please give me some towns! Just where, why you like it, etc. so we'll have an idea of what to focus on. Grafton may not be for us, sounds like a lot of commuting. Right now dh commutes 1.5 hrs each way every day and we'd like to not do that again. 30 mins isn't a big deal to us as you can imagine- I grew up in areas where you drive 30 mins to get to a store. But the snow and road upkeep is a factor in commuting- if that 30 mins becomes an hour because the roads aren't well maintained then we'd want to look at something closer to a job.

Thanks everyone who is responding. I'm off to check my private messages now.  ;D

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 12:03:01 pm »

Other towns I know freestaters moving to:—

• Deerfield — Ron Helwig, Carl Soderstrom, Mike Ruff, and a few others at “Little Minnesota” (the rural equivalent of Porc Manor).
  • Warner — Bill Walker, Kate Marshall, and a new freestater from Maryland whose name I forget.
  • Hudson — Jon Maltz, and Louis and Carla Calitz.
  • Weare — can’t remember who.

TEBON

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 02:40:46 pm »

there's a few people moving to Seabrook as well.  Border town with both Massachusetts and it also is an ocean town.  There are jobs in the area, yet isn't as rural I'm sure as other parts of the state are.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 02:44:23 pm »

Richmond, Winchester, & Wentworth are also worth looking into.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 03:01:14 pm »

lists of towns might not help you much

what is the most important factor for you guys? Is finding a job the first step?
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 07:51:37 pm »

15 minutes outside of Manchester you can be rural.
10 minutes outside of Concord you can be rural... really.
My house is 8 mileish from the State House and I am rural.

Good luck.
I strongly recommend a good map of NH.  I studied my map before I moved.  Now I love visting the towns I saw on the map.

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 08:14:23 pm »

lists of towns might not help you much

what is the most important factor for you guys? Is finding a job the first step?

Have to agree with you Russell. :)  Most of the folks are well south of the Noches.  If you find
a job, you can certainly find a small town close by.  Thinking if we started listing all the towns
folks have move to, we would surely miss a few.

NH is pretty much all small towns.
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 06:43:46 am »

If you find a job, you can certainly find a small town close by.  Thinking if we started listing all the towns
folks have move to, we would surely miss a few.

NH is pretty much all small towns.
I agree with my esteemed coleague from the town of Barrington.

back to the topic title
Grafton is for ....

those that can commute a bit to the Dartmouth area, Concord, or Manchester
that work out of their homes
that love the backwoods and teaching their own children
and serious freedom seekers

we have our representatives at all major liberty events in the state
no brochures available
serious inquiries only ;)

by this summer we will have about 15 of us that will have moved to the area

pinkmandy

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 12:43:43 pm »

We are driving up on the 27th (night) and will be there the 28th. We will be looking at the entire area west of Concord and Manchester, possibly somewhere of near equal driving distance or close enough anyway to either. Weare is in that area.

We are thinking we may both need to work until our house sells and it might be easier if one of us goes first then the other follows once the house sells or until we find a renter. We may try for a few months to sell and if nobody bites we may just rent it out.

ETA: We are only coming up for the weekend to visit right now. Not moving quite yet!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up