Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inappropriate Thread Bumps  (Read 2045 times)

Friday Jones

Inappropriate Thread Bumps
« on: August 28, 2003, 02:54:08 pm »

[I've gone through several edits of this post so far.  I want to make my point without sounding *too* snotty.]

Some individuals are very clearly violating commonly known rules of etiquette regarding posting to public message boards.  These rules include the following:

• If it's a personal message to one individual, send it directly to that individual. Don't take up everybody's bandwidth with it.
  • Stick to the assigned topic.  Don't discuss your summer vacation on a thread intended for discussion of the selection of the Free State.
  • Try not to repeat the same point on the same thread.  If you've already said "I love bagels" on the "New York" thread, do you really need to post "Bagels rule" another day?
I am saying this as nicely as I know how, and giving certain individuals the benefit of the doubt that they are simply inexperienced.  But be forewarned.  If this sort of thing continues, and if I should happen to.... let's just say for the sake of argument.... detect a pattern in the theme of the threads that keep getting bumped on a daily basis by this sort of inappropriate post... I reserve the right to quote your post in a thread of my choice, to inappropriately bump it as well.  All's fair in love, war and politics, isn't that what some people seem to believe?   :-*

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
Re:Inappropriate Thread Bumps
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 02:59:24 pm »

Can we call the bumping of really wicked old threads Hanking? <G>

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 03:03:04 pm »

1.  You just violated your own rule #2 by posting this in the Which State forum.

2.  You just violated your own rule #1 by posting this in the Which State forum instead of messaging me personally about the fact that I posted something about my vacation to NH in the Which State forum, which I know is exactly what you're talking about.

Also, I posted my vacation info in there because I wanted to check out the libertarian aspects of NH, just as others have posted their vacation info on here because it relates to the libertarian aspects of candidate states.  If asking which libertarian aspect of NH I should check out on my vacation is irrelevant to the Which State forum, then where SHOULD I be posting it?

3.  Good point on the repetitive topic thing, but sometimes topics need to be repeated so it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 03:14:48 pm »

[I've gone through several edits of this post so far.  I want to make my point without sounding *too* snotty.]

Great post, well said.  Too bad people are too committed to their tactics to listen.  :-\

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 03:20:16 pm »

Free your mind, and your ass will follow.  --Parliament/Funkadelic

LOL!!!   :D  :D  :D

I want to make my point without sounding *too* snotty.

Hopefully I didn't sound too snotty either...   :-\
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

Friday Jones

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 04:30:27 pm »

1.  You just violated your own rule #2 by posting this in the Which State forum.

No, I didn't.  Perhaps I didn't spell it out, but I have only observed this being a problem on the Which State? thread.  I don't see the same threads getting bumped day after day on other sections of the FSP forum.  However, if Dada wants to move this thread somewhere else, I won't throw a hissy.

2.  You just violated your own rule #1 by posting this in the Which State forum instead of messaging me personally about the fact that I posted something about my vacation to NH in the Which State forum, which I know is exactly what you're talking about.

Also, I posted my vacation info in there because I wanted to check out the libertarian aspects of NH, just as others have posted their vacation info on here because it relates to the libertarian aspects of candidate states.  If asking which libertarian aspect of NH I should check out on my vacation is irrelevant to the Which State forum, then where SHOULD I be posting it?

You are mistaken.  This post was NOT pointed at you.  To be perfectly honest, I did glance at the series of messages posted today in a New Hampshire thread which, I see now, was started by you talking about your vacation.  Prior to my posting this message, I hadn't even read all the messages closely and hadn't noticed who had started it.  If you are taking a vacation in New Hampshire, I don't have a problem with you posting about it (although is the "101 Reasons to Vote for New Hampshire" thread REALLY the appropriate place to talk about that?  There are a lot of New Hampshire-themed threads.)  I wouldn't have bothered to post this message if it weren't a daily, systematic phenomenon.

EMOR

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 06:47:08 pm »

Thank God it's Friday, just had to do that. In reality this board is getting more and more useless by the day with so many having already voted. Very few minds left to influence. This board will be a dead issue in about a month.
WY>SD>AK>VT>ND>DE>MT>ID>NH>ME

Dalamar49

• FSP Participant
  • I smoked out the sheriff and his deputy! : )
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 10:29:04 pm »

bump.

LOL!
Get up, stand up, stand up for your right. Don't give up the fight.

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2003, 12:26:08 pm »

Joe (or anyone) -- if you have threads you would like merged or moved, please feel free to IM me.

I would also be happy to post a condensed version of your post in the Guidelines thread under "Suggested Board Etiquette".  Let me know.

Friday Jones

Re:Inappropriate Thread Bumps & Starts.
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2003, 11:39:58 pm »

Poor thread titles don't help the search either.

OK, I changed the title of the "Mars Needs Women" thread to "% of Females in Candidate States".  I still think "Mars Needs Women" has more panache, though.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up