Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving from Australia  (Read 3590 times)

mookrit

• my website
Moving from Australia
« on: December 31, 2007, 05:37:58 am »

I'm living down under and was at one point considering starting up my own free state project here in Australia. Our smallest state, Tasmania, only has a population of 493,000 and is disproportionately influential in the national debate. So if libertarians here would focus their efforts on Tasmania we could be very influential. But we have a very small libertarian community in Australia and it's unlikely to succeed.

As I'm young I have the luxury of planning my life and am considering signing up to the New Hampshire free state project instead. My sister was born in California so is eligible for birthright citizenship. Given I'll be university educated, how easy would it be for me to get permanent residency and eventually citizenship (I'm an Australian citizen)?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 05:41:27 am by mookrit »

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Re: Moving from Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 12:33:33 pm »

Rochelle is the resident expert on our nation's "immigration policy." I wouldn't completely discount the idea of setting up an FSP in Australia.  Just set terms for a vote on one province or town, then hold an online discussion for potential movers, count ballots, and viola.  During that time, the media attention helps you recruit lots of new members.

Or maybe that will just give you something to do while you wait on Uncle Sam.

Failing that, you and I could take advantage of the new civil union law, and move in together in wedded bliss--liberty bliss that is.  Hey, there's nothing in RCA 457 that says we have to be gay.  Read the law.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 06:54:59 pm »

Failing that, you and I could take advantage of the new civil union law, and move in together in wedded bliss--liberty bliss that is.  Hey, there's nothing in RCA 457 that says we have to be gay.  Read the law.

I like the way you think.

"This is Bob, my hetero life partner."
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 02:57:44 am »

Hey, I don't make the laws.  I just follow them like a loyal, dutiful citizen.
 :-\ >:D
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 12:54:47 pm »

Have you heard about the Hutt River Province? Is this guy wacky or is he onto something? I heard that he was going to start issuing passports.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 05:27:15 pm »

Then he'll be perfect for the FSP.  How do we get him here, quick!

lasse

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 11:46:54 pm »

Rochelle is the resident expert on our nation's "immigration policy." I wouldn't completely discount the idea of setting up an FSP in Australia.  Just set terms for a vote on one province or town, then hold an online discussion for potential movers, count ballots, and viola.  During that time, the media attention helps you recruit lots of new members.

Or maybe that will just give you something to do while you wait on Uncle Sam.

I don't think the Feds recognize civil unions or even Mass-style 'gay marriages'.
(not that lasse, the other lasse)

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil - Isaiah 5:20

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 05:02:31 pm »

It might be better than they didn't.  Can you imagine how many freestaters would "marry" guys in other countries?  We'd have at least two hundred new movers with funny last names and accents.

I just need to make sure I get a good looking one... and that I'm not the one wearing the dress at the wedding.

lasse

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 08:11:06 am »

It might be better than they didn't.  Can you imagine how many freestaters would "marry" guys in other countries?  We'd have at least two hundred new movers with funny last names and accents.

Count me in. Even my fellow countrymen can't get my name right, and I speak like the people in Minnesotan 'Ole & Lena' jokes.
(not that lasse, the other lasse)

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil - Isaiah 5:20

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 06:55:42 pm »

I can't tell what half these immigrints are talking aboot.  Their accent is so thuhk you can't harly read what they're sayin, haf the time.

Doncha know.

mookrit

• my website
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 07:55:35 pm »

great ideas people. i'll investigate all marriage options in addition to other less exciting ways to get permanent residency.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 10:38:04 pm »

I dunno, but it may be worth it to get some kind of student visa or something, and get some time established.  This is another reason for establishing an accredited college.  College should be cheap and flexible (like a community college) but also really good, so that you're not wasting time.

I know that workers who are able to get a sponsor are able to retain work visas, but I don't know all of the rules, there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up