Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Potential movers here...  (Read 9897 times)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: Potential movers here...
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2008, 02:43:58 pm »

My point exactly,

Other than the two storms back-to-back in 78... the season wasn't that memorable. 93 on the other hand was cold. When it warmed up we got the 'Perfect Storm'...

I think this winter feels above average to people because the last several have been mild on one of the below factors.
Heating Degree Days... Days of measurable snowcover... total snow accumulation... and ice over.

Then its a matter of perception as to being a benefit or curse.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2008, 05:50:25 pm »

95% of the time, the weather is not that bad.  Nevertheless, I FEEL snowed in so much, that it's very noticeable.  I'm not sure if the glass is half empty or half full, with very few people moving here from warmer climates, and with so many moving here from other cold climates.  Northern NH gets so bad that people literally die from the cold during bad years.  Most of the state suffers from closures during the winter.  I personally prefer liberty and cold to California sun and California Troopers--still, the move to Seabrook is sort of a last ditch effort to get people who are cold averse.

It's not right to  poo poo the issue.  I suffered from frost bite as a child, and freezing weather causes my hands and toes to lose circulation right away, even with protection.  For many people, extreme weather can be dangerous.  For me, the decision was between New Hampshire and Koh Samui, Thailand.  There is certainly more personal freedom there than here.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2008, 06:44:04 pm »

There is certainly more personal freedom there than here.
Free State Thailand

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2008, 10:16:46 pm »

Nifty, but don't get into politics as a farang.

You can build a villa, man it with servants, raise everything from olives to livestock, even build a huge deck overlooking the ocean--all without a single permit; and the cops leave you alone.  Heck, you don't even need a driver's license if you don't want to carry one.

Whenever I feel down and out about the FSP, I just think of Thailand.  Who needs America, anyway?
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2008, 07:25:53 am »

It will take time, but you'll build up a mental resistance to the snow and cold.
The increased costs associated with them will always be annoying.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2008, 06:51:56 pm »

I'm not the only person with medical issues regarding extreme cold.  Many others have suffered from frostbite, allergies, weakened immune system, aging issues, etc...  It's wonderful that we've pulled so many people in from the New York/New England area, but telling that we've done rather poorly from potential movers living in milder climates.

My effort in Seabrook is aimed at folks who cannot manage extreme cold, as Seabrook is as warm as you'll find during the winter.  I think it has more uptime than any other town in NH, due to limited snowfall and higher winter lows.  Seacoast towns may open up the FSP to whole new group of people who might never have considered the move to NH.  The average winter lows in Seabrook are 5-10 degrees higher than Manchester, and the closer you get to the ocean, the better off you are.  In fact, you can get an apartment near the beach for cheap from November through April to avoid the extreme winters, and avoid the worst of it.

That's the main reason I'm buying a house in Seabrook, not just for the low taxes or the easy commute into Mass, but because it offers milder weather year round.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2008, 06:34:54 pm »

I didn't mean at as an insult. And I understand your logic... Seabrook has many advantages for someone new to NH.
What I meant is you'll acclimatize. It may take a while, but its a natural process. Sorry about the  frostbite as that will always be a problem.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2008, 10:29:48 pm »

It's not just that it's difficult (or impossible) for some to acclimatize, but that the extreme winters have been a major limitation to recruiting.  I am trying to recruit some Op Live Free or Die activists as we speak, and the extreme weather that they've encountered here is a problem.  I've been bringing up Seabrook as an alternative, and some may actually come here.

Even with the seacoast alternative, the weather here is a tough obstacle for people.  I've been lucky enough in my career that I can always ship out during the winter, and I run container ships around the south Pacific.

Potentially fourth-fifths of the people I've met who are willing to move are not willing to move to NH.  Most would move to a western state.  Every time I bring this obvious fact up, I get screamed at.

lasse

• FSP Participant
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2008, 10:49:05 pm »

I thought Wyoming was even worse, climate-wise.
(not that lasse, the other lasse)

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil - Isaiah 5:20

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2008, 11:22:51 pm »

I thought Wyoming was even worse, climate-wise.

Yup.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2008, 12:04:55 am »

It's not just that it's difficult (or impossible) for some to acclimatize, but that the extreme winters have been a major limitation to recruiting.  I am trying to recruit some Op Live Free or Die Potentially fourth-fifths of the people I've met who are willing to move are not willing to move to NH.  Most would move to a western state. 

That may be true...they have a Western option, but I don't see it getting too much action... so I kinda doubt a bunch of people are willing to move to a Western state.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2008, 01:10:42 am »

I've never had any trouble convincing other westerners to move to a western state.  Idaho, Nevada, and Wyoming were actually pretty easy to sell.  Alaska is bit tougher.

Like I say, I reread some of the prevote discussion, and there were basically two camps: one that wanted to start off with two very small states (like WY and VT), and others who wanted to give one state about five years before starting another state project.  I think that the ultimate goal was to spread what we had learned here in NH to other states.  It has been easy talking to westerners about moving to Idaho or Nevada.  Even Alaska draws more interest than NH from the folks out there I try to recruit.

I'm amazed that so many fspers still don't actually read my actual posts on the topic, and I've grown tired of trying to explain this to freestaters.  The words "DISCUSSION" and "VOTE" are simply ignored, even when placed in bold caps lock, then repeated over and over.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 06:56:34 pm by maxxoccupancy »

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2008, 03:37:44 am »

I have no idea what you're talking about...but I wasn't around for the state vote so that may be why.

I have no problem pointing people who aren't interested in leaving the wild wild west to the FSW.  Although, like I said, I don't see people moving in great numbers there.  People usually like to talk about doing things more than actually do them.  My guess is that the same goes for people who say they'd move to a Western state...but it sounds like you've talked to alot more people about this than I have.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2008, 01:04:40 pm »

I have no idea what he's talking about either.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2008, 07:29:44 pm »

You have to see things from my perspective.  I actually came from Washington state, which offers a nice climate but a very bad state government.  I spent A LOT of time recruiting for the FSP even before the vote.  There was a tremendous amount of excitement before the vote out west, most of which was dashed as soon as NH was announced.  Even though I opted out of extreme weather states, I made the move anyway.  I've been happily surprised by the number of activists who've moved in from other cold weather states--equally surprised at how few have moved in from warm weather states.

Since I still work on the west coast, I bust my butt recruiting other mariners out there.  Nearly all have stated that they would LOVE to move to a free state, but New England is out of the question.  It therefore strikes me as selfish and even backward that some respond with insults when I resubmit the second FSP issue, as mentioned in the second link in my sig.  That's one of several very worthwhile threads.

There is a certain professor on this thread whose initials are "JS" who helped start this whole project, but has not moved himself.  There are many noisemakers online who have contributed nill to the FSP, other than flaming those of us who have actually moved, help out on campaigns, donate, recruit, testify in the state house, and enlist natives to get involved.

It would be really nice to have just a few hundred activists at work in some western state helping us with some of the national issues--maybe even the recent caucuses, straw polls, and primaries.  It makes no sense to leave this large group untapped.

BTW, repeating the "there is already a Wyoming" issue does not help.  I am not proposing that we split movers with Wyoming.  I am proposing that we start a discussion about a vote on a second state using everything we know about the first.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up