Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Potential movers here...  (Read 9892 times)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Re: Potential movers here...
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 10:17:13 pm »

My first winter here, Manchester closed down more days than that.  I was out to sea last summer, but I'm guessing that this will be another one of those harsh years.  The natives say that it goes in four year cycles, and I've been here for four years.  The extremity of the weather tends to decline as you go south and east, with Seabrook, of course, having the mildest winters.  They do get hit by some ocean wind, but the upside is that that wind is warmer than the continental air.

I've also been told that the summers are also more bear-able.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

ny2nh

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 10:34:14 pm »

I don't think the winters go in 4-year cycles....but maybe I've just not been keeping track. I know I have owned my home for 9 years now and I think this is the snowiest December we've had....but I also remember one year when by the middle of March the snow was long gone, the ground was thawed and pretty dry....and I probably had my garden in by 5/1. Last winter we still had snow in March. The year before we had hardly any snow at all....and there were may a winter weekend when we sat by the outdoor fire very late because it was so mild out. Actually now that I think about it, I went to the mayor's ball in early Feb '05 and it was really warm out and raining and not a stitch of snow on the ground.

Some towns close schools at the threat of a snow storm, some are a little tougher. Manchester has gotten pretty aggressive with it's snow parking ban - I noticed this afternoon that they had the lights flashing telling people that they can't park on the street after 10pm tonite - because we're supposed to get snow overnight....4-6" my midday tomorrow. We're still planning an outdoor fire for tomorrow night!

As far as businesses closing down, stores rarely close. Sometimes the mall will close early is we're in the middle of a blizzard - because who is going to go out to the mall in a blizzard! I always chuckle at the people in the grocery stores buying milk and canned items on the day before a snow storm. Even if we're bombarded with snow, you'll still be plowed out by the next day....and don't people have enough food to last a couple of days?? I am, of course talking about people who live in the cities, I can understand more the people who live in rural ares....but then again they usually are better stocked just because the store s not just right down the street even on perfect weather days!

My attitude - if the snow is that bad, just stay home....

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 03:28:49 am »

Perhaps my experiences have been colored.  My first winter here (2004-05) was terrible.  Manchester was seeing places close early or continuously on several different occasions, and that sticks out in my mind.

Staying up in Deerfield, the driveway is often covered in ice and you can't get out.  I think we've had three or four trips to City Hall to get more sand, and it's still December.  Ron has already paid out a couple of hundred bucks for the snow plow guy.  That's not to say that Seabrook doesn't get snow either, but there's less of it, and it tends to melt away sooner with the ocean effect.

I don't want to understate the severity of the winters, here.  Manchester Airport closes a lot, and suffers delays because of the weather.  Even southern NH has average lows lower than Anchorage Alaska.  Juno is only a few degrees colder than Seattle, but now that we have to live with NH, I choose Seabrook.  That's the best I can do weatherwise.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 09:30:32 am »

Maxx
I feel bad. 2004-2005 was a rather warm and easy winter.

ny2nh

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 09:48:19 am »

Actually, Maxx could be right - I think we had some big storms in the 04-05 season.....the 05-06 season was the year we had really mild temps and very little snow.

I know there was one year since I've owned my house where there very few days when there was snow coverage across my entire lawn....that's how little snow we had.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 09:59:01 am »

Native. This winter to date has been about normal for NH, with snowcover before Thanksgiving (when I was a kid we could get it as early as Halloween), but it would need to last like last year into April. And we have yet to see a string of days with maximum temps below zero... by now Lake Winnipesaukee should have been frozen solid.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 12:37:45 pm »

Yikes.  It looks like we've been lucky this year.  Actually, the weather here is not that bad--most of the winter.  Being from Seattle, where it is both cold and windy, I'm not used to being able to go out in sub-freezing weather with just a jacket on.  That is, there's rarely a lot of strong wind here, making even the teens bareable.

I mean temperatures in their teens.  I don't know that the teenagers are any better, but they do seem a bit more grown up, now that I think about it.

As a merchant mariner, I spend most of my winters at sea, heh heh.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 09:42:55 pm »

Native. This winter to date has been about normal for NH,

nope.... tammy is right this is the snowiest Dec in recorded history in manchester and concord..... according to wmur  43.5 inches.

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 10:57:31 pm »

nope.... tammy is right this is the snowiest Dec in recorded history in manchester and concord..... according to wmur  43.5 inches.

Growbal Warrmmming at work.... (grin like Al Gore)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 11:00:33 pm »

Natives gauge winter not on the snowfall accumulations of a single month, or even the entire season for that matter, but on several factors... like length of season and period of ice over on the Big Lake.
We've had 40+ inches of snow fall in less than a week during the 78 and 93 winter.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 11:03:46 pm »

Growbal Warrmmming at work.... (grin like Al Gore)

Global temperatures aren't measured in Manchester and Concord NH... they're measured globally.
And snowfall accumulation is not a sound measure, as if the temperature is too cold... snowfall will be either light or non-existant.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2008, 02:56:19 am »

It feels pretty damned frickin cold!  That's how I measure it.

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2008, 08:59:44 am »

Natives gauge winter not on the snowfall accumulations of a single month, or even the entire season for that matter, but on several factors... like length of season and period of ice over on the Big Lake.
We've had 40+ inches of snow fall in less than a week during the 78 and 93 winter.

http://me.water.usgs.gov/iceout_data/Data.Winnipesaukee.txt

YEAR   Winnipesaukee
2005   110
2004   111
2003   115
2002   95
2001   122
2000   101
1999   98
1998   97
1997   114
1996   108
1995   105
1994   113
1993   112
1992   112
1991   98
1990   112

(chart goes back to 1887 - showing variations all the back...)

And to see the charts generated by such data:
http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3002/

Of course, smoothing/etc shows warming, yet some of the individual years are quite cold...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 09:10:24 am by SethCohn »

ny2nh

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2008, 11:46:10 am »

Native. This winter to date has been about normal for NH,

Me??? Right??? Gee, how'd that happen?  ;)

lloydbob1

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2008, 01:22:53 pm »

I've spent all my life in New England.  The winters become a blur. One could think a year was generally  bad due to the memory of one particularly bad storm. The storm of 1978 is memorable, but, I couldn't tell you if the rest of that winter was bad. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up