Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Potential movers here...  (Read 9896 times)

rysarwin

Potential movers here...
« on: December 12, 2007, 07:42:34 pm »

My wife and I are moving to NH in August 2008, assuming I can find a new job there.  My wife doesn't need to worry about that because she works from home.  I am 22, and my wife is 21.  Short blurb about us... we both like love music, watching movies, playing video games... hmm... I make 1/24 scale model cars, she does " an array of things" including but not limited to loom knitting, "painting crap" (I don't know sometimes ;) )

What I do for a living right now at the moment is shipping/manufacturing.  I work for a local biopharmaceutical company, and am responsible for about $3M of our products per day.  I've been employed here for about a year, and would like to stay in this line of work.  I do have other work experience, mainly as an auto mechanic.  I've worked on everything from the lowliest Honda Civic to rebuilding a Lamborghini engine piece by piece.  However, I am not ASE certified, but I would be MORE than willing to complete an apprenticeship if a shop would like to take me on.  I also have experience doing relay for the deaf and hard of hearing; I am able to type over 100wpm with 100% accuracy.

If anybody knows of any companies needing assistance in these areas, please let me know... I'd like to start submitting my resume immediately to be ready for August. 

We are still looking for an area to move to.  We are moving from Madison, WI, a city with about 300,000 people.  I know there isn't a huge city out there like this in NH, and that is just fine with me.  I don't want to be in the boonies, but I don't want to live in a large city.  We are just looking to rent for right now, considering the housing market is crap at the moment >:( .

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
Re: Potential movers here...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 03:48:51 am »

...We are moving from Madison, WI, a city with about 300,000 people.  I know there isn't a huge city out there like this in NH...

I can't wait to get to a place where 300,000 people is a 'huge city.'  Around here, the 'city folk' call 300,000 a 'little town.'
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

rysarwin

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 06:53:30 am »

I guess 300,000 isn't really that big of a city.  I can drive anywhere here and not get lost.  Milwaukee is pretty big, screw Milwaukee.  Chicago is VERY large and I make it a point not to go there.
EDIT: Silly spouse alert  ;D we actually max out around 500,000 people during peak work hours. Not that it makes a difference to any of you.. but the roads get pretty retarded. Lucky for the hubby he doesn't have to drive across the city every day like I currently do.. Oooo.. hehehe
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 08:07:23 am by rysarwin »

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 08:18:42 pm »

I know that the Madison rants will be soon. (Error, Denis?)

You might want to come to the Liberty Forum in Jan 08 and check things out.  There will be a recruiter there.

Also do you have a resume that people can link to?

There are some FSPers in that line of work... I will point them to this thread.

Welcome to the FSP!

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 08:34:28 pm »

Manchester is really good all around, if you want to find work in NH--avoiding taxes and that awful commute.  However, you can get A LOT of bang for the buck in Epping, which is a 20 minute drive on 101 to Manchester, and offers a decent commute into Mass or the Seacoast.  Epping doesn't benefit much from the ocean effect in winter, but it does offer aboot 15 hooses that have just been finished and have been discounted in order to get buyers.

I am looking at Seabrook right now (as the entire world now knows) because it has proven to be very promising, has a good Board of Selectman, lowest taxes on the coast, and is actually offering real houses on the market, for the first time ever.  You may want to consider renting on the coast for at least a month (lots of rooms available until end of April), then get a feel for the state as a whole.

You can probably take a discount of 20% or more off of the houses on the market.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

rysarwin

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 08:04:09 am »

Thanks for advice/helpfulness everyone!  I have to update my resume, but I will do that this weekend and then provide a link to it. 

I will probably rent for a few years; my wife and I are not yet in the position to buy a house... however we are working slowly but surely (Stop calling me Shirley!... sorry :D) towards that goal.  We imagine that we will be in that position within 4 years.

Dreepa, what is it that you're referring to by saying "Madison rants"?

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 05:07:49 pm »

Dreepa, what is it that you're referring to by saying "Madison rants"?
There are a few people that lived in Madison and now live in NH.. they rant about how statist Madison in.   :)  But now they are here in NH.

rysarwin

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 02:13:59 am »

Yeah that sounds about right. It's unfortunate because it wasn't always that way. Madison used to fight for some decent causes back in the day. Thank you Money Magazine for writing in 1998 that Madison was the best city in America to live in. That seemed to draw attention to all the big-wigs It created a money sink hole and big shots came in and started running things. For some reason people started to believe that "that's where it's at" and now whatever you ever see in the news is crap. Like get this.. fighting over the NAME of Madison's 'Holiday Tree". They're all about handing out welfare because that's exactly what we need more of right now. Oh yeah and shifting the "ghetto" around by kicking everyone out to make way for fancier low income houses. They dump money into places where people have no want/need to excel and it just drives me crazy.
Oh let's see.. Just because the states around us are doing stupid things (like deciding if you can have a smoke when/where you please), we have to follow suit because it's popular. Yes the cops.. don't get me started.
Anyway, the list goes on and on. I remember back when we could see that Madison was home and that was it... obviously that's not the case anymore.
Oh well on to bigger and better things where I know we all make a difference.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 03:01:00 pm »

If you're not coming until August, you might want to rent something inexpensive on a month to month basis.  Manchester offers a lot of work in automotive, but that slows down in the winter because of the severe winter.  The ideal business would be an automotive shop with a few snow plows.  You would either mint money with one or the other.

I'm buying a 3BR house in Seabrook, at the moment, because of the accessibility to Mass and the mild weather.  I have rooms for rent as of the end of Feb for movers who are looking.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

ny2nh

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 11:42:58 pm »

Manchester offers a lot of work in automotive, but that slows down in the winter because of the severe winter.  The ideal business would be an automotive shop with a few snow plows.  You would either mint money with one or the other.

We don't have severe winters here....we definitely have winter - and that means cold and snow and ice - but I would hardly call the typical Southern NH winter a severe winter. I guess it depends on where you are coming from and what your expectations are though. I wouldn't think the automotive business would decline in the winter - people still need their vehicle repaired, maintained, inspected, etc....regardless of the season.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 12:26:14 am »

I'm from the Seattle area, so the winters here seem pretty extreme.  Oil heated houses see heating bills around $500 a month if you sit down and add in the electricity for space heaters and even people who use their gas range to warm the upstairs.  I've employed a lot of tricks to insulate homes, and have even gone through homes trying to figure out how to concentrate warm air in the most lived in areas.

I would like winters in southern NH to those in Dutch Harbor, Alaska.  Being realistic, the storms are frequent and often shut down business activity for days at a time.  People who shrug off the cold forget how difficult it is to work on your car when temperatures fall below freezing, and don't climb back up for a month or more.  Snow shoveling is a constant ordeal, but not as bad as NY.  Ice build up is also a concern, and in northern NH, cold temperatures can become fatal.

I have found that the seacoast benefits so much from the ocean effect, that winters are not much worse than Seattle itself.  Seabrook has the mildest winters, with winter lows 5-10 degrees warmer than the Merrimack Valley.

I don't want to be dismissive of the cold.  It is something that saps people's motivation, drives up living costs, puts people out of work 10-15 days a year, and demands a lot of time and money from movers.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 12:59:00 am »

Last year it didn't snow until Jan.  and there weren't that many storms.
It puts people out of work 10-15 days a year?  From what?

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 01:53:38 am »

I lived in Manchester, where the businesses would close whenever the snowstorms would get too bad.  I didn't think anything of it the first time around, but my first year this would happen almost every month until winter subsided--at the end of April.

We should never understate the severity of the weather, here, especially in northern New Hampsha.  It's not too bad in southern NH.  To avoid the extremes, it's best to go for the coast.  Avg lows are 5-10 degrees warmer in Seabrook, and there is almost always less snow on the roads.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 11:00:16 am »

I lived in Manchester, where the businesses would close whenever the snowstorms would get too bad.  I didn't think anything of it the first time around, but my first year this would happen almost every month until winter subsided--at the end of April.

I think that I have seen only about 10 total snow days in the 3 winters I have been here.

error

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • U.S. Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 09:25:41 pm »

I haven't been here that long, but frankly I've hardly seen anybody slow down when the snow has come through this fall.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up