Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weather and other questions  (Read 4792 times)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Re: Weather and other questions
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 12:37:00 am »

You just have to be more careful about heat and electricity usage.  There are a hundred things that you can do inside your house to keep temps decent without burning up half a town.  I don't want to understate the severity of storms, which can shut things down, but most of the time, you can go outside with just a jacket, gloves, and a warm hat, just like in the Pacific Northwest.  It's the frequency and duration of these storms that gets to you.

My solution has been to buy a home in Seabrook, which offers the mildest temps in NH.  It's right on the border with Mass, and benefits enough from the ocean effect that there is less snow and the snow melts much sooner than in central NH.  Driving back from the coast, I noticed that you hit a definite barrier of sorts, where there is a sudden change back to continental cold, snow, and ice on the roads.  If cold is too severe, there are a lot of freestaters making their way to the coast, benefiting from the moderate temps there.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 05:33:42 am »

I couldn't access my gas bill online, but I'd say my bill could be $200-$250 in the coldest months...my temp goes between 60-65 degrees in my 100 year old New Englander house. Of course int he summer, my gas bill is sometimes lower than $20...and I have gas hot water and a gas stove...

Thanks for the info!

Your heating habits sound like mine.  Of course, here in CA I didn't have to turn on the heat until mid November.  My apartment is very drafty, so my electric bill went from $65 for Nov to $135 for Dec.

$200-250 isn't bad considering how much colder NH is than CA - it's 49F right now - at 2:30 AM.

I figure I'll spend about $500-1,000 more per year on heat in NH.  I guess I'll also need to buy some real winter clothes - all I own is a few sweaters and a windbreaker.  Of course, all of this will be offset by what I save on state income tax... not to mention not paying 8.5% sales tax!
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

ny2nh

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 01:34:29 pm »

I guess I'll also need to buy some real winter clothes - all I own is a few sweaters and a windbreaker.  Of course, all of this will be offset by what I save on state income tax... not to mention not paying 8.5% sales tax!

Yes, you will definitely need something warmer than a windbreaker...and a good pair of boots! But at least here you will not be paying any sales tax when you buy them!

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 09:45:35 pm »

I saw the heating cost for a 2800 sq ft home (newly built) as $1400 per year.  Of course, nearly all of this is going to hit you from Dec-March.  I'm sure that doesn't include other things that contribute to heat, but I don't have the listing in front of me.

Most people I know spend anywhere from $200-500/month during the winter, and almost nothing thereafter.  The summers are humid, but not hot enough to spend a lot on A/C.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 06:51:20 am »

I figure I'll spend about $500-1,000 more per year on heat in NH.  I guess I'll also need to buy some real winter clothes - all I own is a few sweaters and a windbreaker.  Of course, all of this will be offset by what I save on state income tax... not to mention not paying 8.5% sales tax!

I got to thinking about this, and decided to throw together some numbers to get an idea of how much more of my money I would keep.  I put it in a new thread for further discussion.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 07:20:41 am by CA_Libertarian »
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 12:00:37 am »

The problem, of course, being that one guy could spend $100 a month heating his home while his neighbor spends over $500 at the same time.  Everything depends on
how high you set the thermostat,
how many people you have coming in and out,
how new the home is,
insulation,
how hot you have your hot water heater,
the efficiency of your furnace, whether or not you use a wood stove
whether you use the warm-cold and cold-cold wash cycles,
how long your showers are...

The truth is, utilities are expensive on the east coast, and the weather is much colder overall.  It can get muggy during the summer, but all of those effects are milder in the Seacoast region because of the ocean effect.  In fact, I like Seabrook because it offers some of the lowest utility expenses in New Hampshire.  It's also a relative tax haven, and offers excellent access to eastern Mass and the greater Boston area.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 12:06:52 am »

In fact, I like Seabrook because it offers some of the lowest utility expenses in New Hampshire. 
Do they get a discount from the Nuclear power plant in that town?

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 01:14:23 am »

You bet your butt, we do.  The Green Glowing Generator pays aboot half the city's taxes, and the plant will likely continue in operation well into the future.  Just as important, Seabrook is seeing a lot of commercial development, but not much residential development.  That is to say, that the population hovers around the 7,000 mark.  While residential units tend to pull more in services than they pay in, commercial tends to draw out less in services than what they're paying.  I think commercial only pulls aboot $10.00 per thousand in services.

There is also no pressing need to build any new schools, jails, or other buildings.  Seabrook has every public service it needs and then some.  Getting the overall tax burden back down shouldn't be too difficult because of the help from our existing Board of Selectmen, and because the residents of the town are fiscally very conservative.  They're used to even lower tax rates, and $13.09 is viewed as highway robbery.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up