Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Weather and other questions  (Read 4791 times)

jamestucker

Weather and other questions
« on: December 09, 2007, 12:36:35 pm »

First off I would just like to say I am so glad I found this forum/site/group!  I live in California and can't stand the laws/culture/ridiculous spending here.  I began looking first at state gun laws and then at taxes and fell in love with New Hampshire for these and other political reasons.  I made up my mind that I was going to move there as soon as possible!  While looking for sites with any information on moving to New Hampshire I found the Free State Project and was very excited to see there were THOUSANDS of others who were planning to move to New Hampshire for the same reason as me: LIBERTY!

I do have some questions about New Hampshire and the weather and the consequences of that weather.  I live in Long Beach CA, which is in Los Angeles county, so forgive my ignorance on these subjects.  I am a skier, so I have some experience with snow and love it to death, but I have never lived somewhere where it snows.

How often, since moving/living in New Hampshire, have you been snowed in?  And what part of NH are you in?
Should I be expecting blizzards that close the city down once a year? more than once a year? far less than that?
How does the cold weather effect your budgeting/economic situation?  About how much more do you spend in winter, specifically on heating etc, compared to what you spend in summer?
Are there measures you have to take to avoid frozen water pipes and things that I wouldn't have any clue about here in southern California?
I'm currently driving a Honda Civic. Do I need to get a new vehicle? something 4WD to drive in ice/snow?
Do you need to have some kind of engine block heater in your car? 
Do people coat the undercarriage of their cars with anything to prevent rust?

Thank you for sharing any knowledge you have with the unexperienced!

Kate

• Now in NH
Re: Weather and other questions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 02:32:44 pm »

I'm working on a moving guide for the FSP.  The rough draft that I'm working on can be found on the www.nhfree.com wiki.  This will answer some of your questions.  When I'm done it will answer most of them and be in one easy spot in this web sight.

As far as replacing your car you don't need to.  I live in a town called Warner NH.  It is north west of concord so I'm far enough north to get plenty of snow.  We had 12" of snow fall last Monday.  I had no problems getting around in my Mazda protege.  I went and got snow tires and that makes all the difference for my little car.  If it snows with no ice than most everything stays open because the plows are out during the storm and the roads are pretty clear.

The only thing I have to change is my winter coat.  Since I bought it in Virginia it doesn't have room for the big comfy sweaters I where up here.

Kate
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 04:00:57 pm by JasonPSorens »

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 03:04:23 pm »

Define blizzard.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 08:51:27 pm »

How often, since moving/living in New Hampshire, have you been snowed in?  And what part of NH are you in?
Should I be expecting blizzards that close the city down once a year? more than once a year? far less than that?
How does the cold weather effect your budgeting/economic situation?  About how much more do you spend in winter, specifically on heating etc, compared to what you spend in summer?
Are there measures you have to take to avoid frozen water pipes and things that I wouldn't have any clue about here in southern California?
I'm currently driving a Honda Civic. Do I need to get a new vehicle? something 4WD to drive in ice/snow?
Do you need to have some kind of engine block heater in your car? 
Do people coat the undercarriage of their cars with anything to prevent rust?

I lived in LA for 8 years... then SF for one and now NH.
I drive a Honda Civic.  I have had no problems.  I normally don't drive during the storm but it is usually cleared right after the storm.

Some of those questions will depend on where you live in NH.   

Come check us out at the Liberty Forum Jan 3- 6 for a 'taste' of winter.
www.freestateproject.org/libertyforum

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 02:17:35 am »

Since you mentioned CA gun laws... may I recommend The Open Carry Forums?

There are people carrying guns in CA - WITHOUT asking permission.  Not many of us, but we're always looking to spread the word.
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

jamestucker

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 08:43:27 pm »

Thanks for the quick answers, everyone!

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 12:23:53 pm »

I made up my mind that I was going to move there as soon as possible!  While looking for sites with any information on moving to New Hampshire I found the Free State Project and was very excited to see there were THOUSANDS of others who were planning to move to New Hampshire for the same reason as me: LIBERTY!

Welcome! ;D

jamestucker

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 08:09:45 pm »

anyone have any input on the heating costs?  How much is spent per month? per fall/winter season?

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 09:23:04 pm »

anyone have any input on the heating costs?  How much is spent per month? per fall/winter season?

I think that is a depends questions... depends on type of heat.. and the place.

I spent about 1 cord of wood ($200) and about $800 in oil costs per year.   I have a house. 

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 11:52:38 pm »

We have spent $1200 a year for heating ... on the high side. But we don't have an air conditioner, so that balances out compared to what I paid in CA.
Anyone can survive the winters here. I also don't drive a special car with special wheels to get around town in winter.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 04:29:28 am »

I spent about 1 cord of wood ($200) and about $800 in oil costs per year.   I have a house. 

That's reassuring to me.  I've been hearing much higher numbers in another thread.  I know it's highly dependant on size of the house, insulation, habits, etc.

Mind if I ask how many square feet your house is?
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 07:05:47 am »

It ranges. All of my family has forced hot water heat with domestic hot water. The house sizes range from my 900 sq ft single level to my sister's 3600 sq ft two level. The annual oil usage varies from my 500-600 gallons to my sister's 800-900 gallons.

jamestucker

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 08:00:46 am »

haha yeah I suppose I should have qualified it with size of living space.  I'll probably be in a one bedroom apartment whe I first arrive.  I've actually seen a lot advertised on craigslist that have heat included, which would be GREAT.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 01:30:42 pm »

Just get winter tires.  I have two bimmers, and the one with AWD covers ground like there isn't even snow or ice aboot.  The heating bills can get bad in the winter, especially if you get a large house with lots of roommates, or if you don't have a wood stove.  The older houses tend to have higher heating bills.  Still, a lot of porc's have just gotten used to setting the thermostat at 62 and turning down the temp on their hot water heater.  Replace your lights with flourescent lighting, and you'll be seeing west-coast sized utility bills.

My solution has been to buy a house in a wooded area in Seabrook.  Being near the ocean in the southernmost part of the state, Seabrook is pretty mild.  The trees really cut down the wind and keep certain parts of the house from getting too cold.  Seabrook is also a tax haven, and offers lower utility bills than other towns.  I have three rooms available at the end of February, for anyone who's interested.  I am working to get as many movers and activists into Seabrook as possible, so that the town can keep its tax haven status.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

ny2nh

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 12:05:53 am »

I couldn't access my gas bill online, but I'd say my bill could be $200-$250 in the coldest months...my temp goes between 60-65 degrees in my 100 year old New Englander house. Of course int he summer, my gas bill is sometimes lower than $20...and I have gas hot water and a gas stove. My last electric bill was $80 and I'm thinking that could go as high as $150 in August when the pool filter and the A/c are running.

Heating really depends on the house, the heating system and how old and/or efficient it is and how warm you keep your house. I don't even turn my furnace on until 11/1. A house with old drafty windows and an old oil furnace might be far more expensive than the same house with new windows and a direct vent gas furnace.

There are often apartments where the heat and hot water are included because the entire building is running off of one heating system.....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up