Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion to start a moving fund  (Read 4458 times)

catmarch

Suggestion to start a moving fund
« on: November 16, 2007, 03:47:08 pm »

I'm new here, so please tell me if anyone has tried something like this yet.

I'd be interested in contributing to a fund whose purpose would be to help people move to NH.  Maybe it could be organized in a way similar to Habitat for Humanity?

I'm sure there are a lot of people like me and my husband who can't afford to move, but would be willing to contribute to a fund that would provide financial aid to libertarians who want to pledge to move but can't afford to do it on their own.  Maybe the lucky recipient of funds could be drawn by a lottery from a list of pledged individuals needing financial assistance - and everyone who is a recipient would agree to continue paying into the fund to help more people who want to cross?

Please let me know if there is already something like this available, or your thoughts on starting such a fund.

error

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • U.S. Department of Homeland Stupidity
Re: Suggestion to start a moving fund
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 05:41:35 pm »

This sounds like a great idea!

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 10:49:18 pm »

yeah this has been discussed many times...
we all kick in a few bucks.. then loan it out to a mover who would pay it back over time....
No one seemed to pick the ball up and run with the idea.

cowb0y

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 12:18:06 am »

Maybe if it were made more personal it would arouse more interest (I think trust is always a factor, also).  For example, if someone wants help with the cost of moving, they could submit a "packet" with background info, a little about themselves/their family and situation, why they want to move, specifics about the move, pictures or whatever they think will help people get a feel for them, that they are serious, and that they merit the assistance and trust that it involves.  Perhaps they could put up a webpage with all of this, and if the packet were approved by the FSP ( a committee, maybe, or a preliminary vote/poll of members), then a chipin (or similar) could be started specifically to raise the target amount of money needed.  Then they would be required to do specific things like publish journals/blogs of their experiences, etc. to help raise awareness and also help others out who are considering the move.  Maybe those efforts could be part of their request packet, to help stimulate creative thinking about how participants could help promote the project both before, during (lol, Porc flags on a U-Haul), and after the move.

I don't really like the idea of a loan that has to be repaid.  I think a "barn-raising" mentality would better suit the sense of community that really welcomes people into it and helps them out, expecting that the favor will be returned, in whatever ways that is possible.

catmarch

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 05:06:24 pm »

I don't really like the idea of a loan that has to be repaid.  I think a "barn-raising" mentality would better suit the sense of community that really welcomes people into it and helps them out, expecting that the favor will be returned, in whatever ways that is possible.

Yeah!  A barn raising has exactly the right feel to it.  Is there a paid committee of FSPers that could oversee the project, or do we need to get something rolling on our own?

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 08:55:13 pm »

Yeah!  A barn raising has exactly the right feel to it.  Is there a paid committee of FSPers that could oversee the project, or do we need to get something rolling on our own?
No one in the FSP is paid.. I think that you should start it up.
I like the idea of a 'barn raising' as well.
People might even say stuff like.... if you become a golden porcupine (get 3 more signers) I will donate X or hand out 1000 FSP flyers and I will donate y type of things.

Start a website.. mention it on this website and on NHFREE. com... and you could start up and awesome new idea.

catmarch

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 01:48:20 pm »

I think I would like to do it!  Is there anyone around here that has some legal experience and would know how I should set it up?

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 02:33:10 pm »

I would think you don't need a lawyer... just have a basic 'contract' most (not all) libertarians thing that regular understandable  contracts are good.

Make a website... start a 'chip in'  and go.

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 03:27:20 pm »

I would think you don't need a lawyer... just have a basic 'contract' most (not all) libertarians thing that regular understandable  contracts are good.

Yeah, unless people want to claim their donations as tax deductions I don't see any reason to involve the government.
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

catmarch

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 03:47:16 pm »

Yeah, unless people want to claim their donations as tax deductions I don't see any reason to involve the government.

No, I hadn't intended on involving the government - I just don't know anything about drawing up contracts, so I was hoping someone here had some legal experience.  Also, since I'm new here, would people trust me to hold money for the recipients?

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 07:40:34 pm »

No, I hadn't intended on involving the government - I just don't know anything about drawing up contracts, so I was hoping someone here had some legal experience.  Also, since I'm new here, would people trust me to hold money for the recipients?

You might want to find a person in NH who must people trust... also having some in NH would be good because... they can ask to pass the hat at local meetings (which sometimes have up to 60 people at them).

I would say that CathleeninNH (on these boards)would be someone who most of us agree on that we can all trust.  maybe it is that southern accent.

mrsdevlugt

• One day trip 10 hours to meet Ron Paul @ PA Rally
    • NJ Mother for Ron Paul 2008
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 08:14:06 pm »

That would be great if it were available. I am coming with a Ron Paul meetup group to see rental rates and things like that. I would move asap but I have to get my fund together and it's hard to check out things in NH from NJ.

Kate

• Now in NH
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 04:48:11 pm »

CathleeninNH is also on the board for the liberty scholarship fund.  You may be able to set it similar to that organization.  www.nhfree.com has a thread about the scholarship fund that may give you some ideas.  there are others on that forum that want to start a food bank. 

www.nhfree.com has been adding more ideas to save money and live on less income. 
Kate

cinefoto

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 01:35:07 am »

How about a "welcome home" kit for each town?   Might help get the people out of the dreaming game and into the "gotta get there now" mode.

A flyer maybe....  pics, lists of freestater landlords, groceries, shopping, gas stations, schools, hospitals, newspapers, events, who's who in local government.   
A mini-reference cheat sheet  sort of thing.     

I'll be in Manchester soon...  happy to do one for the area.   Might be useful, might not. 

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 02:21:38 am »

How about a "welcome home" kit for each town?   Might help get the people out of the dreaming game and into the "gotta get there now" mode.

A flyer maybe....  pics, lists of freestater landlords, groceries, shopping, gas stations, schools, hospitals, newspapers, events, who's who in local government.   
A mini-reference cheat sheet  sort of thing.     

I'll be in Manchester soon...  happy to do one for the area.   Might be useful, might not. 

Great idea!  Be sure to take a look at our New Hampshire info pages and stuff to make sure you don't redo work that's been done.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up