Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newcomer needing help  (Read 10787 times)

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Newcomer needing help
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 12:14:17 pm »

You have to have a driving licence to buy a car in the US?!? How are you supposed to get a licence if you can't buy a car to learn in? ???

Usually "drivers education" courses are taught as an optional class in high school.  They're also offered through local community colleges and such.  The student pays a couple hundred dollars for classroom instruction as well as behind-the-wheel training with an instructor.  So you can in fact get a driver's license rather easily without having your own car to learn in.

If a license is required for driving a car (which it is in most places), then how would one (legally) go about learning to drive a car they bought if they don't have a license yet?

I agree though: it seems like a driver's license should not be pre-requisite for buying a car.  Maybe you just want to buy the car now, and get a license later.

chimney

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 12:34:18 pm »

It's very different in the UK. Anyone of any age can buy a car here and can drive it on private land without a licence. To learn on public roads you have to apply for a provisional licence once you're 17. This allows you to drive on public roads (but not motorways) provided you have someone in the passenger seat who has had a full licence for at least 3 years. You have to take a theory test and once you pass that you can take the practical. Once you pass the practical you get a full licence and can drive on your own and on motorways. Lessons aren't offered in schools so it's very expensive to learn. A one hour lesson is $40 upwards and most people require a lot of these. You also need to practice in your own (or family member's) car and the insurance for a driver without a full licence is very expensive so you're talking $1000+ to learn to drive here. I can't afford to learn yet.

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 01:40:12 pm »

It's very different in the UK. Anyone of any age can buy a car here and can drive it on private land without a licence. To learn on public roads you have to apply for a provisional licence once you're 17. This allows you to drive on public roads (but not motorways) provided you have someone in the passenger seat who has had a full licence for at least 3 years. You have to take a theory test and once you pass that you can take the practical. Once you pass the practical you get a full licence and can drive on your own and on motorways. Lessons aren't offered in schools so it's very expensive to learn. A one hour lesson is $40 upwards and most people require a lot of these. You also need to practice in your own (or family member's) car and the insurance for a driver without a full licence is very expensive so you're talking $1000+ to learn to drive here. I can't afford to learn yet.

It actually doesn't sound that different, with the exception of the expense perhaps.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't need a license to drive on private land here -- but then I don't know that many people who have enough private land (with roads no less) to facilitate practicing driving.

We also have "theory" (written) and practical exams.  This differs somewhat from state to state, but generally passing the written exam results in a provisional permit, where an over-18 driver must accompany the permit holder while the permit holder is driving.

Cat Herder

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 06:08:31 pm »

You don't need a license to buy a car in NH. I did that last year. I bought a car, registered in my name and five months later got my first license, at the ripe old age of 32.

Also, in NH if you're over 18 you can drive before even taking the written test. You must have a licensed driver who's at least 25 in the car with you. At least that's how I read the rules.  ;) I believe that most states would require passing a written test and getting a learner's permit first.

As far as driving lessons, it took a few phone calls to find a place that will give individual lessons to adults. I finally found a teacher that charged $50 per hour. I took four driving classes and then kept practicing on my own until I felt ready to take the test.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 06:30:32 pm by Cat Herder »

djlong

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 07:28:43 pm »

Without a valid license, it would be difficult at best for her to have even applied for a loan to buy a car at a dealership or through a bank/credit union - I think that's what she meant.  Obviously,  a cash transaction for a private sale wouldn't require this.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up