Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Can black people come too? (Please read and advise!)  (Read 22175 times)

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
Re: Can black people come too? (Please read and advise!)
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2007, 08:37:40 pm »

Which station the old Foley's?

Back in the day it was Laconia Tulsa Service, there at the bend in Union Ave where Messer Street connects.  Nowadays I think it's it's a self-serve Mainway station.  When I was a pump jockey, back at the start of the first OPEC crisis in '73 (that summer after graduation was "interesting times"), self service was being laughed at in the industry magazines.  Nowadays it's everywhere except New Jersey and Oregon.  Here in Jersey, I can be arrested for handling a gas pump even though I've probably pumped more gas than than anybody doing that this side of the Linden refineries -- I worked the only station between Concord and the Canadian border open past 5PM and the lines were quite long for at least two hours after official closing time (scheduled hours were 7am-11pm, unless the tanks went dry I was usually there until at least 2am and still opened in the morning -- Bert the boss was doing drywall jobs since there was really no profit selling gas and the part-time mechanic didn't pump gas and was generally too drunk to count money anywho).  (I forget the date I got a pay raise, but it happened because the minimum wage went up from $1.60 to I think $1.75/hr -- pump jockey was one of those jobs immune to overtime, so it was straight pay for up to 90 hours per week -- so as a result I wound up in the USAF before I would have finished my freshman year at GAtech.)
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2007, 08:43:50 pm »

Just come "Home", Ward. You'll even get to pump your own gas.  ;D

Pumping gas doesn't have the thrill it once did.  I just want to cook and watch happy, free (and preferably armed since that helps the first two adjectives plus gets a 10% discount) people eat chili and sides.
--

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2007, 09:21:26 pm »

Sorry, but that's a salon now.

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2007, 09:57:49 pm »

What, the lot inside the obtuse angle is now a salon?  That'd take a lot of remodeling in less than two years.  (I did drive past the place after Porcfest before last).

Since I'm scheduled (unwillingly, since I'm the only competent cook in the family and I won't be cooking) to visit kin in Manchester over Turkey weekend, I'll run up and look.  Nothing surprises me since finding a quite nice Thai restaurant next door to Laconia High School.  When I was at LHS, pizza and sub sandwiches were the the extreme for ethnic food.  Taco Bell hadn't expanded as far east as the Rockies yet (not sure when it crossed the CA border to NV and AZ).  (And now for a long time I have a niece who assistant manages a Taco Bell in Manchester NH).

--

lloydbob1

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2007, 06:31:13 am »

Ward, let us know when you're coming and some of us can try to get together at Murphy's.  It's been too long
Lloyd

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2007, 12:06:18 pm »

What, the lot inside the obtuse angle is now a salon?  That'd take a lot of remodeling in less than two years.  (I did drive past the place after Porcfest before last).

Since I'm scheduled (unwillingly, since I'm the only competent cook in the family and I won't be cooking) to visit kin in Manchester over Turkey weekend, I'll run up and look.  Nothing surprises me since finding a quite nice Thai restaurant next door to Laconia High School.  When I was at LHS, pizza and sub sandwiches were the the extreme for ethnic food.  Taco Bell hadn't expanded as far east as the Rockies yet (not sure when it crossed the CA border to NV and AZ).  (And now for a long time I have a niece who assistant manages a Taco Bell in Manchester NH).

No, your right... I was thinking of the yellow building that occupies the lot within the triangle formed between Messer and Union (Used to be Razor's Edge Barbershop and Kodiak Film Processing). I nearly forgot of the little station Irving bought out. For some reason I thought you were going back a lot farther in time. It used to be a rarity that a building was completely raised.

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2007, 04:27:49 pm »

Ward, let us know when you're coming and some of us can try to get together at Murphy's.  It's been too long
Lloyd

My doctor says I'm not supposed to go to places like Murphy's any more.  Google "Esophageal varices".  Life as a lush is catching up with me.   :'(
--

lloydbob1

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2007, 06:51:22 pm »

They have coffee. Hell if it comes down to that, they have water, but, we all know what fish do in water.

RandomAlias

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2007, 04:42:16 am »

To the OP, MrsWindyCity: I grew up in Maine, right next door. I believe we are the state with the highest percentage of Anglo-Americans. If not, we're close. High 90th percentile or so. I only knew three African-American kids all through school, two boys and a girl. Yet I never saw any racism. Maybe it's because we were kids and while kids can be cruel, they can also be more accepting than adults. Or maybe I was too oblivious to pick up on it. But all three dated white kids and nobody thought anything of it (I had a crush on the girl in elementary school but she didn't like me back, *sniff*). It wasn't until I moved to the mid-west, to your area in fact, that I witnessed clear overt racism.

I think what you'll find, and this is just one person's opinion and a white one at that, but I think at worst you may find some hesitancy from people who've just never met any black folks before. It's been my observation that people in this area tend to feel sort of defensive of minorities. Almost like we don't want to be anything like those antiquated stereotypical southerners.

Anyway I wish you the best!

frankwtodd

• FSP Participant
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus!
    • Homepage
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2007, 08:39:47 pm »

I hate to be obnoxious or to be less feeling about this matter, but here are my thoughts:

I don't care if you're purple and have tentacles coming out of your forehead. If you believe in freedom and YOUR rights and the rights of OTHERS to do as you will so long as it harms no others, then welcome. Welcome to NH and you'd probably welcome in my house as long as you brought good conversation and maybe a six-pac of decent beer. You could probably skip the beer if it didn't suit your beliefs. I'll get my own anyway!! :)

There is no greater way to unite than respect, tolerance, and freedom.
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2007, 10:06:26 am »

You are right, windy city ... there are hardly any blacks in NH, but I don't think that means you will not be welcome here.

I have been places in the South where I heard disparaging remarks or jokes about blacks that I was supposed to agree with or enjoy, but I have not heard those here.

I would guess that you will do fine here. But we cannot give you the same experiences that you are used to in Chicago ... we just don't have that much crime and it is clean here. :)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

MrsWindyCity

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2007, 10:26:19 pm »

Hey, I am glad to see that this conversation has kept lively since I last checked. I have been so busy, it's ridiculous!

Anyway, I am glad to hear that I can come and be judged generally as an individual, not as a "black person". Trust me, I am on my way. I am actually working on a speech for school to persuade people to join the FSP.

On another front, good news: my hubby doesn't need too much more convincing: he just saw a newscast about more and more areas making it illegal to sag your pants!!!!
He was so pissed off! He looked at me and I just said, " I told you. I told you and you thought I was crazy. It's coming; it's only getting worse."

Just wait until I get my accounting degree. I am there, baby!

Peace (and concealed weapons for all),

Erika

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2007, 04:10:07 am »

MrsWC, you might find it interesting that there is a significant number of actual "African"-Americans in southern NH. Meaning, they were born in Africa, but sought refuge in America. Most are from Somalia, but there are other refugees from other dictatorial regimes.

Kevin

Kate

• Now in NH
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2007, 07:49:18 pm »

I have been pleasantly surprised at the diversity of Concord and Manchester.  I don't know about Nashua but I think you will find New Hampshire a refreshing change from the windy city. 

The only crap I've heard from natives from NH is against the Africans that immigrated here.  Local people hate the fact they are getting welfare and section 8 housing.

Steve

• FSP Board Member
  • Administrator
  • La Vero vin liberigos
    • Elegant Solutions
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2007, 10:02:49 am »

Hey, one of our Board members is mixed-race! I think on balance, the FSP is more diverse than is NH, but some parts of NH are more diverse than others.
Yeah, but I'm "passing", and I'm used to living among foreigners who think any American is a space alien. ;) Of course, being passing I hear what whites really think, and I haven't heard any anti-black talk (Mexican immigrants are another story, but the whole US has gone insane on that topic). A good friend of mine who is black lives in New Hampshire. He loves it.

All of New England has a smaller population than Southern California. Boston is just an hour from NH, and I will be relying on its proximity for diversity.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up