Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Can black people come too? (Please read and advise!)  (Read 22054 times)

MrsWindyCity

Re: Can black people come too? (Please read and advise!)
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2007, 12:29:22 pm »

That's what I mean.

I totally understand and respect the fact that his intent is to embrace blacks and other minorities and make them feel welcome. I even appreciate it. The thing is, like Forrest said, it's like "Hey, it a black person! Don't worry, I don't hate you!"

But affirmative action, in a sense, was supposed to accomplish the same thing in the coporate and academic fields. Problem is, it didn't. It caused resentment and anger, hostile work  and learning environments, and minorities having to answer as to whether they were qouta admissions.

Don't embrace me because I happen to be darker than you. Embrace me because you like my clothes (at least I can control that, not that I would change my ethnicity even if I coul), or because we share beliefs.

Or, try this.

Embrace me because of the simple fact that I. Am. A. Human. Being.                       

yoplait

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2007, 02:26:58 pm »

Don't embrace me because I happen to be darker than you. Embrace me because you like my clothes (at least I can control that, not that I would change my ethnicity even if I coul), or because we share beliefs.

Or, try this.

Embrace me because of the simple fact that I. Am. A. Human. Being.                       

Exactly.  I think my (least) favorite thing is the "I have friends who are black" thing people just throw out there...it's right next to, "I dated a black person once."

You've gotta earn your hugs around here, Ms.  ;)

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2007, 10:04:49 pm »

We embrace people who like freedom and liberty... so you will fit right in!   ;D

error

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • U.S. Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2007, 01:43:52 pm »

I don't think you'll have any problem with the weather, if you've been through a Chicago winter!

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2007, 10:29:50 pm »

MrsWindyCity-

I'm from the Chicago area, and grew up in a mostly black suburb (Maywood). There is much, much less racism than when I grew up in the 60s and 70s. I think you will find New England slightly less race-conscious than Chicago, and less "Balkanized" into ethnic areas. But I can guarantee you will not find it in our liberty community. I would expect all of us to react very negatively to anyone that even whiffed of racism. I think it is a great idea to visit, at the Liberty Forum or separately, and would love to meet you and your family.

A member wrote an article I really like: http://www.freestateproject.org/about/essay_archive/three-fifths.php

Welcome, and come home!
toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat

Simon Jester

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Peas: Don't hate them because they're round
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2007, 12:45:19 pm »

I know that when I moved up to NH, I had the misconception about "Lily White New Hampshire"--one of my sister's friends who is half-black, half-polish didn't help things when she told us stories about her and "the other black guy" in Newmarket, NH.
But when I moved to Manchester, the first thing I saw were tons of Somalians! So, trust me, Manchester is very ethnically diverse. Along with Somalians, there are also Bosnians, Hispanics, Greeks, Frenchies, etc. There's plenty of diversity. Perhaps not in the smaller towns (though I can't say for sure not having been to a lot of them), but it's not something I'd concern myself too much about.
It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2007, 09:18:05 am »

I would expect all of us to react very negatively to anyone that even whiffed of racism. I think it is a great idea to visit, at the Liberty Forum or separately, and would love to meet you and your family.

What just happened to that new user “jewsdid9/11” over on NHFree is a perfect example. I’ve never seen someone get their karma whacked so fast or get put on ignore by so many people.

Browning

• I am no llama
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2007, 01:38:13 am »

(...)one of my sister's friends who is half-black, half-polish didn't help things when she told us stories about her (...)

May it be that the "Polish" thing is "worse" than "Black" ... ?  ;)

tom ploszaj

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2007, 07:35:50 pm »

Welcome MrsWindyCity!
LOL, now I'll chime in as a native born American of Polish decent.  I love Polish jokes and laugh at the funny ones.  In doing so it dampens their powder and defuses any stereo typing.    MrsWindyCity from what I see in FSP members is first we are Americans and somewhere down at the bottom of the list is our ethnicity. 
Now if I can take the liberty .... a political comment ... I always wonder if this so called racial tension isn't a manipulation to keep peoples separated so not to join forces against a common foe?

miamiballoonguy

• Home Page Of The Miami Balloon Guy
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2007, 09:02:18 am »

What is "mixed-race" anyway?  I don't think many people are really pure of race unless they're really inbred.

I think most white people consider others to be "black" if they aren't white (or asian or hispanic).  So really if you're the least bit brown, you're probably considered black.

I can vouch for that...  Being Puerto Rican, any time that I have left Florida, I've been accused of lying...  Here is the most ridiculous of the racial slurs I've heard (This is from people in Antioch California in 87)... ' You can't be Puerto Rican, because you are not black.'  What the hell does that mean?  Mind you I was 16 at the time, but you are going to get it everywhere...
Have Balloons, Will Travel.

LibertyforLife

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2007, 10:00:35 am »

Welcome MrsWindyCity!
LOL, now I'll chime in as a native born American of Polish decent.  I love Polish jokes and laugh at the funny ones.  In doing so it dampens their powder and defuses any stereo typing.    MrsWindyCity from what I see in FSP members is first we are Americans and somewhere down at the bottom of the list is our ethnicity. 
Now if I can take the liberty .... a political comment ... I always wonder if this so called racial tension isn't a manipulation to keep peoples separated so not to join forces against a common foe?

I object to being insulted by being called an "American"! If you wish to be an "American" that is your choice, however the FSP has others who have chosen not to be "Americans", instead we refer to ourselves as, Sons of Adam, Children of God, Sovereign, Human Beings, and a plethora of other names that fit our understanding of who/what we are.

I say this all with humor in mind, although it is what I perceive as the truth. No one person can claim to represent a group. Of course you are giving an opinion, and you have every right to make an opinion. Just as I have the right to deny your opinion is correct. Like now. So there! :p
Live free or die!

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2007, 11:09:40 pm »

I don't recall a lot of racism around Laconia when I lived there in the early 70s.  I personally only remember one family with above average melanin, they lived across the street from the gas station where I was a pump jockey.

I vaguely recall that to some of the less intellectual members of my high school, the term "chinaman" was considered a serious insult.  To the best of my knowledge there were no students there at Laconia High School with asiatic ancestry more recent than the the last time the Bering Straits were crossed on foot.

There is a long history of prejudice against French and/or catholics.  Seems some folks crossed the border, spoke their own language and stole jobs from right-thinking people by being willing to work for less than the prevailing wages.  History repeats itself.

I gotta be honest.  I'm past fifty and I have still never met a black person.  Or for that matter a white person.  I've seen some quite dark shades of brown and some very pale shades of pink, but most folks seem to be less extremely tinted.  I and my sisters (who happen to live in Manchester, but that's not my fault) are on the pale side.  But I got a brother-in-law from Harlem and as a result the amount of melanin in New Hampshire is now higher than it was when I was a teen.  I consider this a positive.  Hybrid vigor.

I can't do the ethnic grouping thing.  Only individuals exist.  Some individuals are assholes and they are across the spectrum.  Folks who insist on ethnic identity over individuality are usually assholes.  Lester Maddox was an asshole.  So are Al Sharpton and Bush 2nd.

I gotta get back up to New Hampshire.  There are assholes there, but not a measurable fraction of the number here in New Jersey.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2007, 04:50:53 am »

I can't do the ethnic grouping thing.  Only individuals exist.  Some individuals are assholes and they are across the spectrum.  Folks who insist on ethnic identity over individuality are usually assholes.

Ward speaks sooth.  8)

I gotta get back up to New Hampshire.  There are assholes there, but not a measurable fraction of the number here in New Jersey.

Just come "Home", Ward. You'll even get to pump your own gas.  ;D

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2007, 08:24:34 am »

Which station the old Foley's?

lloydbob1

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2007, 08:44:21 am »

I don't recall a lot of racism around Laconia when I lived there in the early 70s.  I personally only remember one family with above average melanin, they lived across the street from the gas station where I was a pump jockey.

I vaguely recall that to some of the less intellectual members of my high school, the term "chinaman" was considered a serious insult.  To the best of my knowledge there were no students there at Laconia High School with asiatic ancestry more recent than the the last time the Bering Straits were crossed on foot.

There is a long history of prejudice against French and/or catholics.  Seems some folks crossed the border, spoke their own language and stole jobs from right-thinking people by being willing to work for less than the prevailing wages.  History repeats itself.

I gotta be honest.  I'm past fifty and I have still never met a black person.  Or for that matter a white person.  I've seen some quite dark shades of brown and some very pale shades of pink, but most folks seem to be less extremely tinted.  I and my sisters (who happen to live in Manchester, but that's not my fault) are on the pale side.  But I got a brother-in-law from Harlem and as a result the amount of melanin in New Hampshire is now higher than it was when I was a teen.  I consider this a positive.  Hybrid vigor.

I can't do the ethnic grouping thing.  Only individuals exist.  Some individuals are assholes and they are across the spectrum.  Folks who insist on ethnic identity over individuality are usually assholes.  Lester Maddox was an asshole.  So are Al Sharpton and Bush 2nd.

What he said
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

anything