Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Can black people come too? (Please read and advise!)  (Read 22251 times)

Ron Helwig

• FSP Participant
    • Shire Silver
Re: Can black people come too? (Please read and advise!)
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 08:54:23 am »

Ron:
What type of factories? Like assembly work? Do you know about how much they make?

One is working for, IIRC, Rockwell Automation or something like that, doing something with plastic. The building is right across the street from the porc-famous Murphy's Taproom in Manchester. I'm pretty sure he's making at least $9/hour (working through a temp agency), and they have him working overtime this week. He also went into this with practically no experience.

The other is building industrial kitchen equipment in Concord. He's making at least $11/hour and they want him to work overtime but he's so far ahead that they're finishing up December shipments already. He talks about the saws he operates and the steel he cuts, stacks, and hauls. He did this as a career switch.

I'm a geek who's never worked in a factory, so I don't really know much about this stuff.
Are you a Next 1000 liberty activist?

Rebuild the precious metal economy with Shire Silver

MrsWindyCity

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 09:43:59 am »

Wow!

I just want to say thank you all so much for your input and for making me feel welcome.

I believe (and I am not wishing to offend anyone) that racism is a narrow-minded, sometimes unconcious effort to blame your problems on a scapegoat groupd of people.

For example, I too used to live in AZ. Everything was was ,"I cant get a job b/c of Mexican illegals, they cant drive, etc. etc". But there were always so many jobs available. I had 2. And mexicans, legal or not, are the only people using drugs, crashing cars, etc.

My insight on racism in the South is that when slaves were freed, white landowners' culture began to be shaken at its foundations. I think that the failure of many plantations being blamed on blacks turned into blaming everything on blacks. And it spreads, and it infiltrates other parts of your rational mind, and it feels better to know that your failures/shortcomings/obstacles aren't your fault.

Anyway, I know that almost everyone has prejudices. I probably do, although not necessarily racial. But now I understand how the culture of NH and surrounding areas may not be so condusive to overt racism. I earn my way, you earn yours. No blaming.

I have cemented in my mind that NH is where I want to live. My hubby is less enthusiastic, but I have to keep pointing government intrusions on our liberties  in our everyday lives. I think he is starting to see. I have convinced him to move with me in 5 years, but nothing set in stone. I want to bring him and our daughter up there for a visit next year. How cold does it get? Are summers warm?

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you all, and I hope to see everyone soon.

Peace + Freedom = Life

LibertyforLife

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 10:10:24 am »

I'd like to introduce the idea that racism only exists because of itself. Everyone who believes they are black, white, brown, red person continues to feed the idea of racism. I exist as a white man, but it is not who I am, it is only what I am.

I prefer to stop thinking of people as nothing more then one race, the human race. Just as there are many different types of plants, animals, and minerals, there are that many different types of people.

Honestly, and don't take offense, only because none is intended, until you free your mind that you are not black, you will still be racist to some extent. This continues racism. As the saying goes, free your mind, and the rest will follow.

Peace, love, and happiness to you.

Just as a note, because I believe you are still locked into this 'I am black', there aren't a whole lot of blacks in NH, so I've been told, but I don't care. I welcome all who want liberty regardless of race(ethnicity), religion(including Muslim extremists), origin(including those from Mexico and China), or sex(including the transvestites too).
Live free or die!

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 12:23:13 pm »

My insight on racism in the South is that when slaves were freed, white landowners' culture began to be shaken at its foundations. I think that the failure of many plantations being blamed on blacks turned into blaming everything on blacks.

My own thoughts on this is that the Civil War and Reconstruction were probably the worst thing to happen to race relations in the history of the United States. Tying abolition to a war that was viewed by the South as an invasion, and the way they handled Reconstruction—filling the South with occupation troops, appointing former slaves into government positions over their former owners, and just all-around trying to grind the whites, the former ruling class, into the dirt—was extremely stupid and short-sighted.

Either they didn’t realize, or didn’t care, that this sort of behavior would cause an incredible amount of anger and resentment, and would eventually result in blowback. The Klan—the driving force behind much of the racism in this country—was founded by a Confederate general during Reconstruction, after he saw what the Union troops were doing to the South. And after the Union troops were redeployed from the South, the white ruling class didn’t waste any time regaining power and taking revenge on the blacks still living in their midst.

All of the other countries in the western hemisphere that had slavery abolished it in some other reasonable manner, often through incrementalism, and sometimes even compensating the plantation owners in the process. And in none of these countries did they have to fight a war over it, nor did they end up with the huge race-relations problems plaguing the United States for the past 150 years.

MrsWindyCity

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 03:16:12 pm »

Just as a note, because I believe you are still locked into this 'I am black'

Of course I am!

I was raised and socialized to be aware of my skin color. I was taught about the way things are in the world for me because I am black.

But no more!

I do not want any special treatments, but neither do I wish to be discriminated against. I do not want to be a statistic, I do not believe that if someone commits a crime against me that they should be punished more severly than they would be if they had commited the same offense against a white woman. That's wrong. I don't want to have to explain affirmative action to my daughter. I just want my family to be viewed like everyone else's.   I just want my daughter to get into , say, MIT on the basis of her grades and nothing else. I dont want her to be a quota admission. I dont want to be a tax writeoff for my job.

I just want to be a human being. That's it.

I am just looking to see if I will be able to find this sort of atmosphere in NH and with the FSP.

Thanks.
Peace.

yoplait

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 04:02:36 pm »

I do not want any special treatments

I think that's pretty clear from your posts. 

In any case...welcome to the FSP!  :)

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 04:18:42 pm »

I have cemented in my mind that NH is where I want to live. My hubby is less enthusiastic, but I have to keep pointing government intrusions on our liberties  in our everyday lives. I think he is starting to see. I have convinced him to move with me in 5 years, but nothing set in stone. I want to bring him and our daughter up there for a visit next year. How cold does it get? Are summers warm?

I think bringing the family up for a visit is a great idea.  I've heard many people relate that visiting during PorcFest was a deciding factor for if/when they would move.

As for the weather, I understand it varies greatly throughout the state.  Windy & cold in the mountains, warmer in the southern part of the state, etc.
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

yoplait

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 04:31:11 pm »

I think bringing the family up for a visit is a great idea.  I've heard many people relate that visiting during PorcFest was a deciding factor for if/when they would move.

Yeah...the Liberty Forum might be a good time to visit.  http://freestateproject.org/libertyforum/

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 08:25:39 pm »

Just as a note, because I believe you are still locked into this 'I am black'

Of course I am!

I was raised and socialized to be aware of my skin color. I was taught about the way things are in the world for me because I am black.

But no more!

I do not want any special treatments, but neither do I wish to be discriminated against. I do not want to be a statistic, I do not believe that if someone commits a crime against me that they should be punished more severly than they would be if they had commited the same offense against a white woman. That's wrong. I don't want to have to explain affirmative action to my daughter. I just want my family to be viewed like everyone else's.   I just want my daughter to get into , say, MIT on the basis of her grades and nothing else. I dont want her to be a quota admission. I dont want to be a tax writeoff for my job.

I just want to be a human being. That's it.

I am just looking to see if I will be able to find this sort of atmosphere in NH and with the FSP.

Thanks.
Peace.

I think you’ll love it here. Welcome home! ;D

sfultong

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 11:46:33 pm »

MrsWindyCity:

good posts!  I hope you feel welcome here and in NH.

Forrest:

I think it's pretty hard to be race-blind.  Sometimes our subconscious isn't in line with our ideals, sadly.
I was raised mostly in a town that embraced multiculturalism (to the point that I thought, "what's the big deal?").  But then I lived in Boston for 1.5 years, and suddenly I was in a tension between blacks and whites.  Ever since then I've been much more aware of peoples' races.  Sad but true.

mattbarney

• FSP Participant
  • Focused on freedom
    • Matt Barney's Personal Page
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2007, 08:52:27 am »

Welcome, Mrs. Windycity.

There are a number of families who are cross-cultural and "diverse" in the FSP, including my own.  My two sisters and brother were adopted when I was very young, and they're both african american (my dad was adopted, so I have no idea what ethicity I have, but I look western european) and my wife is from India. 

We've travelled several times to NH, and enjoyed our time there.  One of my FSP friends married to a Nepali woman are moving early next year, and are looking toward the seacoast where there's a good FSP-run Montesorri school.

Mark Edgington of "Free Talk Live" often talks about how he goes out of his way to greet african-american people in Keene (he says he hugs them), and he tells them he wishes more blacks would move into Keene.

I know there's a growing bunch of people / families who welcome you with open arms to the FSP

I'm one of them :)

Matt

yoplait

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 10:58:25 am »

Mark Edgington of "Free Talk Live" often talks about how he goes out of his way to greet african-american people in Keene (he says he hugs them), and he tells them he wishes more blacks would move into Keene.

That's a little weird.

LibertyforLife

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2007, 10:59:31 am »

I know it is hard trying to break out of a mind set. I find myself every once and awhile saying, 'there ought to be a law....' then I kick myself and remind myself thats how we got where we are in the first place.

I still welcome you and yours and the FSP is....different then most. Mark is a neat guy and sexy even for a aging white guy. Every once and a while I think what he looks like with his shirt off.....kidding....long live Free Talk Live!
Live free or die!

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2007, 11:17:40 am »

That's a little weird.

Yeah, there’s a point at which trying not to be racist, or trying to compensate for racism, becomes racism itself. Giving blacks special attention is just as racist—and patronizing—as hating them.

LibertyforLife

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2007, 11:28:27 am »

Isn't a black person in an area dominated by white people something to embrace and welcome? I can see what you mean however and it could also be racism in and of itself, in the same way as shouting, 'hey look, it's a black person!'
Live free or die!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up