Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ready to leave Georgia!  (Read 3735 times)

DreamerTheresa

Ready to leave Georgia!
« on: March 13, 2007, 09:43:41 am »

Here's the deal:

Him:   IT Management
Me:    clerical

There are two things preventing us from moving to NH tomorrow: 
Work and a place to live.

According to everything we've looked at, if we make around six figures a year between the two of us, we'll be able to maintain our standard of living.

In the short term, we'd probably like to rent a house until we get a feel for the areas in NH and decide where we'd like to settle.

Any pointers, suggestions?  Specifically, on IT jobs up there?

Thanks in advance!
Mike and Theresa

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Ready to leave Georgia!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 10:11:44 am »

Most of us here have been in your boat. I will say that it is far easier to get a job if you are already here. There is a pretty wide range of living options/costs so I recommend not committing or even deciding your living or working needs until you are here and looking. Most people would rather move to a community like they lived in before and work in a job like they had before. NH isn't like anyplace I have lived before and the differences shake up all your notions. Finding your place in NH means more than replicating your old life.

My suggestion is to increase your flexibility by decreasing your requirements (and baggage). Have some funds set aside for settling in when it feels right. In the meantime, get here, rent anyplace cheap/convenient to the southern tier where IT jobs are around, get used to the people, towns and activities, and gradually firm up a life that is freer and happier than before.

Cathleen

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 10:36:16 am »

Make sure to check out our NHinfo page --> http://www.freestateproject.org/nhinfo/

It might help.  There's also an e-mail address there if you need help.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 10:54:31 am »

I think that with two of you in southern NH you could fit that requirement.  He might have to broaden the scoop of looking to MA (if he has to) but that is doable.  I think you are right in renting first, then scouting for a 'permanent' place to live.

Welcome!

citizen_142002

• Friend of the FSP
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 11:01:04 am »

Most IT jobs are probably going to be in Manchester or Nashua. If you think you'd like Keene or Concord, you can keep an eye out for jobs in those towns. Keene has a number of large businesses, which must have IT guys even though they aren't IT oriented.
In Keene we have Liberty Mutual Insurance, Peerless Insurance, CNS Wholesale Foods, Markem, Timken, and PC connection, to name a few.

Ogre

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Llamas are fun!
    • Ogre's Politics and Views
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 10:05:06 am »

And don't forget to check the jobs section of these forums, as there's lists of big IT employers in the area.

Yes, a lot of us are in that exact same boat.  I've given myself a deadline of this year to move.  I'm holding out for the job I "want" now, but as the year progresses, my demands continue to reduce.  I'm willing to give up some salary if it means I can live in more freedom than I have now.
___
Ogre's Views:
http://www.ogresview.com

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 01:47:41 am »

I was stunned at how much I've saved in taxes and the cost of living by moving to New Hampshire.  The employment situation in Manchester is really good, and there are a lot of the $8-10/hr entry level jobs that take care of the bills while you look for a real job.  I've noticed that there is also a good concentration of temp agencies right here on Elm St (commercial center for Manchester), and South Willow has a long line of retail businesses, restaurants, and auto stores that are almost constantly hiring.

Manchester has quickly become a hub for incoming freestaters who are looking for work and a place to live.

--Max
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

MikeLindgren

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 12:04:26 pm »

I'm in Marietta (North of Atlanta), and I am trying desperately to find a Land Surveying job in NH. I'm sick of this rat race. I could list a trillion reasons why I'm ready to do this, but it's redundant. New Hampshire and the FSP are starting to look like the closest thing to heaven in this life...

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 12:55:15 pm »

A lot of excited movers have abandoned their jobs and everything they have to come up here, not havng work. jobsinnh.com and craigslist.com are good places to look, and the seacoast region (where I'm buying a house) is a good place to find work.  My home is only two minutes from the border, and offers easy access to Boston, Newburyport, and other job centers.  Seabrook is a tax haven, and it's much easier to start a business here than almost anywhere else.  I plan to do that myself eventually, maybe opening up a cafe or Apple Authorized Reseller.  Seabrook would be great for that, too, since you can save the sales tax on large purchases.  Even a $500 Mac Mini comes with like $40 in sales taxes--plus those pesky business taxes.

BTW, I have a house in Seabrook in need of renters.  I was even considering offering the upstairs as one large unit--two bedrooms, one full bathroom, two closests, and a small study area--for about $1100 a month.  It's a really nice area, offers two-thirds of an acre of wooded area, plenty of parking, and easy access to Massachussetts.  Some folks don't like paying the Mass state income tax, but I look at it as businesses paying you extra to have you work down there.  If they're willing to pay the tax, that's their loss.

I basically recommend that people save up as much money as they can and try to line up work here--if possible--before they make the move.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 12:22:11 am »

www.JobsInNH.com usually has a couple dozen IT job listings at any given time.  It's sort of a mother-board (get it? hehe) where a lot of different employers and employment agencies post openings.
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)
Pages: [1]   Go Up