Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: progress (or lack of)  (Read 4480 times)

sfultong

progress (or lack of)
« on: September 06, 2007, 05:11:30 pm »

I am interested in joining the free state project, but I am saddened by the apparent lack of commitment.  Only 480 members are in NH out of 7885 pledgers?

I would think there would be more than 480 libertarians in NH even before the free state project started.

Dawn

• FSP Participant
Re: progress (or lack of)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 05:43:11 pm »

Pledgers aren't required to move for quite some time. So I see the 480 as a positive, not a negative.

As far as I know, the 480 only includes those who were in NH already and those that are early movers. Since NH is such a great state,  it's really not that surprising that the pre-vote #'s weren't huge. Why would you leave NH????

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 05:47:32 pm »

I am interested in joining the free state project, but I am saddened by the apparent lack of commitment.  Only 480 members are in NH out of 7885 pledgers?

I would think there would be more than 480 libertarians in NH even before the free state project started.

Welcome to the forum :)

You're overlooking a few things.

1 - You point out that there are only 480 movers out of 7885 pledgers.  This doesn't indicate a lack of committment because if you read the pledge, no one is pledging to move until we reach 20,000 pledgers.  However, alot of people are moving sooner because they want to live freer sooner rather than later.  We should have 1,000-1200 movers by the end of 2008 due to the First 1,000 pledge (which was a separate agreement to move by the end of 2008).

2 - Yes, there are tons of libertarians in NH (comparatively speaking...there are of course not enough).  However, NH residents arean't allowed to sign up since they're already living there...so they can't move in the first place (they can sign up as Pioneers but aren't included in the count).  But yes, NH has a foundation of libertarian support already (with about 20 libertarians being elected to office).  About 200 people in the "already moved" count are FSPers who were in NH before the state was chosen.  They're the only NH residents included in the count.  

You may find this video helpful (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykYVIUk-mqs).  

Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

sfultong

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 10:01:54 pm »

ah, thanks.

I just hope that waiting for 20,000 pledgers doesn't kill the momentum of the ultimate goal of creating a freer state

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 10:05:42 pm »

ah, thanks.

I just hope that waiting for 20,000 pledgers doesn't kill the momentum of the ultimate goal of creating a freer state

Me too.  Alot of people have already started moving ASAP.  I think that as those early movers make more and more change in NH (as they already have), more people will be secure that their decision to follow is a good one.  I think it will pick up from there. 

Alot's already happening!!  We've gotten members elected (and a few are running for city council this year), we've had alot of activist successes and FSP members chair and help lead alot of pro-liberty groups like the RLC.  Two members have started local newspapers and 2 have an internationally syndicated radio show.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

LibertyforLife

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 09:19:15 am »

Don't forget about the local talk host and the pair who have their own tv show as well.
Live free or die!

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 12:15:21 pm »

2 - Yes, there are tons of libertarians in NH (comparatively speaking...there are of course not enough).  However, NH residents arean't allowed to sign up since they're already living there...so they can't move in the first place (they can sign up as Pioneers but aren't included in the count).

I think it's important that it is clear that the "already moved" counter does not track those that lived in NH before the FSP.

Part of the reason NH was chosen is because there is a large base of liberty-minded people already there.  The 480 are those that have moved early - those that had the means and desire to be there regardless of our ultimate goal of 20,000 movers.

I would also like to point out that any large project like this will start out slow.  For many of us, this is a cross-country move that requires a lot of planning and such.  For others, they simply wish to see 20,000 signers before they are ready to move - though I think 20,000 is overkill for our purposes.

In any case, I think we'll have a major snow-ball effect start in the next couple years.  The higher that counter goes, the more people will be willing to move.  For some it's just timing and planning; for others it's the psychological comfort of knowing they won't be alone when they get to NH.
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 12:17:49 pm »

I was just thinking... do we keep track of those that sign up as 'pioneers' (those that lived in NH already)?  I think it would be cool to see a 3rd counter that shows the number of FSP supporters that were indigenous to NH.
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 01:49:35 pm »

I didn't wait for 20,000 and personally I think 20,000 is at least 5 times overkill.
See the links in my signature, below, for more...

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 04:04:16 pm »

The counter includes 252 Free Staters who lived in NH before the vote.  And wouldn't you know, just as soon as we got it to update the counter as soon as a profile is updated someone goes and moves out of NH!

lasse

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 04:47:31 pm »

Personally I think the FSP works great as a marketing tool for NH, it has a great collection of NH pro-freedom points which certainly convinced me.

Personally I couldn't care less about how many or how few people moved, I'd like to move as soon as I finish my education but there's no point - the DHS agents would throw me out after, what is it, three months?
(not that lasse, the other lasse)

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil - Isaiah 5:20

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 09:15:45 pm »

Welcome to the forum
So sfultong are you going to make the committment to sign up?

1000 are committed to moving before the end of next year.

We are kickin' some ass here with about 500 +
Come and joing the fun:

www.freestateblogs.com

sfultong

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 10:34:00 am »

Thanks.

I just graduated from college and received a spinal cord injury this past winter, and I'm currently recuperating/living off the good will of my parents. 

Once I can drive again/have a car I can operate I will begin looking for jobs in earnest (hopefully computer programming), preferably in NH, possibly in MA (where I am now).

So, my plans are:

1. get driving
2. get job
3. find residence in NH
4. sign up for FSP and move

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 10:46:15 am »

Cool.

One thing I encourage you to do is sign up as a 'friend of the FSP'  You can get the emails and info and there is no commitment.

Also you may want to plan on coming up the Liberty Forum in January in Nashua.  Many people said that last year's event is what prompted them to move to NH earlier.  And you can meet many of the people already in NH.

citizen_142002

• Friend of the FSP
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 10:53:37 am »

Please note that there are definitely people moving without being counted. I meet new people who have made the move, but the early mover count doesn't budge. Hopefully that problem has been fixed.

I won't speculate too much about where the real number is. I'm sure it's over 500. It's probably less than 600. So the real number is a little bit higher than the counter. Some people forget to report they have moved, some do it intentionally, and some try and technical problems cause them not to be recorded.

There are also many NH natives who aren't in the count, but are actively work with movers to make the state more free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up