Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: State freedom rankings  (Read 54680 times)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Re: State freedom rankings
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2008, 08:56:24 pm »

Most Americans are consciously freedom loving and are fully aware of it.  Most have one or two exceptions on issues, but I've done the WSPQ (which is a test of how good an economist you are) and virtually the entire population scores in the top two-thirds.  People knowingly migrate away from too many taxes, bureaucracy, corruption, micromanagement, etc.  People get tired of all the red tape and they leave.
Most people are sheeple and many are busybodies.
And most people are lazy.

Fraid not.  Americans love freedom.  I don't know anyone around here (Seabrook) who chooses to be unaware of what's going on.  That was a problem in western Washington with the out of staters, and it drove us locals crazy.  How could people actually worship the government.  The infallibility of the bureaucrat?
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2008, 10:08:40 pm »

Most Americans are consciously freedom loving and are fully aware of it.  Most have one or two exceptions on issues, but I've done the WSPQ (which is a test of how good an economist you are) and virtually the entire population scores in the top two-thirds.  People knowingly migrate away from too many taxes, bureaucracy, corruption, micromanagement, etc.  People get tired of all the red tape and they leave.
Most people are sheeple and many are busybodies.
And most people are lazy.

Fraid not.  Americans love freedom.  I don't know anyone around here (Seabrook) who chooses to be unaware of what's going on.  That was a problem in western Washington with the out of staters, and it drove us locals crazy.  How could people actually worship the government.  The infallibility of the bureaucrat?

yeah Americans love freedom so much that they keep ceding more of it to their government.  keep us safe.  Bailout our banks.... And then we say oh no that is not me that is the politicians... then why do they keep voting them in?
Why all the false patriotism?
Why do they care so much about TV?
Sheeple.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2008, 10:09:16 pm »

Seabrook excluded from my above statements of course.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2008, 10:14:58 pm »

I'm actually out talking to folks, and I have no problem convincing people of the need to reign in federal power.  I really don't understand why other libertarians are having a hard time with this.  I go and make the case for limited government, and people come up afterward asking me how we can do this.  Am I really that convincing a speaker?  I know that I'm okay, but generally, if you focus folks' minds on a problem, they are more likely to want to do something about it.  Some people turn away from the problems when they see them, but most folks understand that eminent domain, IRS abuse, government waste, and incarceration are a problem.

I just don't see the problem that other folks are mentioning.  It's a small portion of the population that refuses to accept the idea that government may have dangerous people in it.  I've had far more trouble convincing freestaters to look into 9-11 or FEMA concentration camps than the general public.  It sounds strange that folks who claim to question authority and promote rational thought are often more resistant to looking into these things than the folks they look down upon for being sheep.  The 9-11 folks have actually found open ears amongst the general public and closed minds amongst many folks on this very board.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2008, 12:03:52 am »

All right, I need to stress that these are preliminary. I'm working on this project with another political scientist, but we won't have any final numbers for some time. These are based on an initial vector of variable weightings that I devised without seeing the results first. I also had to rescale the variables to make them comparable for weighting, which I did by essentially setting the mean to zero for all variables and then scoring each state according to the number of standard deviations from the mean in a pro-freedom direction its policy situation lies. When I applied the vector, these are the results I got. Over 170 different policies are included, everything from taxes and spending, to regulations on gambling, drugs, driving, & smoking, to incarceration rates & police per capita, to economic regulations like health care mandates and occupational licensing. It's vaster in scope than anything we did prior to the FSP state vote.

State Freedom Ranking

1. Colorado
2. New Hampshire
3. Virginia
4. Texas
5. Missouri
6. South Dakota
7. Tennessee
8. Indiana
{cut}

26. Montana
27. Oregon
28. Minnesota
29. South Carolina
30. Kentucky
31. Illinois
32. Wisconsin
33. Ohio
34. Massachusetts
35. Connecticut
36. Mississippi
37. Louisiana
38. Washington
39. Alaska
40. West Virginia
41. Wyoming
{cut}

I like how Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Missouri, and other "proliberty" states top this list, while Alaska and Wyoming help carve out the bottom.  There was initially an intent in 2004 to weigh state bills differently based on the "hassle factor" of each new law, tax, or mandate.  It's virtually impossible, though, to correctly weigh the cost of each mandate.  For example, if two state require six years of college and a two year internship, they appear similar.  However, if one state has several colleges costing less then $12k a year and lots of interning opportunities, the actual cost of this mandate is much less than a state where students must pay $26k annually, then go out of state for the internship.  If two states imprison pot smokers for the same duration, one may have state prisons that offer comfortable accommodations, while another may be Machiavellian.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2008, 09:20:12 am »

I would caution that those results are outdated, because we measured some fiscal policies inappropriately, especially for resource-rich economies like Alaska & Wyoming.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2008, 05:17:37 pm »

I'm not sure if I'm excited to see this list, or a bit afraid of it. Virginia scored pretty highly, and I feel about as uncomfortable in VA as I do in MD. :S Not nearly as bad as I did in Kentucky or Michigan though.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2008, 06:21:30 pm »

This is another reason that I favor subjective scoring with legislators.  Not having stats handy, I found that subjective scores proved to be far more accurate in predicting future voting performance.  Carol Shea-Porter looked good on paper, but turned out to be horrible in Congress.  Andrew Martel had an 83% voting record in the State Senate one year, but folks were wishy washy in their support of him.  Sure enough, his score fell to 63% in his last year.  There have been many reps who scored one way using two dozen votes, but weren't viewed quite so well by folks who knew them.  Sure enough, the next year, their scores dropped.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2008, 11:17:13 pm »

I've had far more trouble convincing freestaters to look into 9-11 or FEMA concentration camps than the general public.  It sounds strange that folks who claim to question authority and promote rational thought are often more resistant to looking into these things than the folks they look down upon for being sheep.  The 9-11 folks have actually found open ears amongst the general public and closed minds amongst many folks on this very board.

Because we're not sheep, who will believe any convenient conspiracy theory that the Feds decide to release to cover themselves.

We want, you know, evidence.  There's no evidence to back up the paranoid ramblings in those conspiracy theories.  The few times that anything can be nailed-down, it turns out to be false (like pictures of a decades-old railway yard being touted as a brand new "concentration camp").

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2008, 09:27:35 am »

I've had far more trouble convincing freestaters to look into 9-11 or FEMA concentration camps than the general public.  It sounds strange that folks who claim to question authority and promote rational thought are often more resistant to looking into these things than the folks they look down upon for being sheep.  The 9-11 folks have actually found open ears amongst the general public and closed minds amongst many folks on this very board.

The reason I'm actively against the promotion of "conspiracy theories" is because I feel it's a complete and total distraction. The greatest conspiracy: The Federal Reserve. There's proof, it's affecting billions of people and there's something that can be done TODAY about it. Even if you knew the thoughts and motives behind the folk who pulled off 9/11, it doesnt' lessen the impact of it. Those folks are still dead and government is still oppressive.

If you need to run around talking about FEMA camps or 9/11 to get your message across, I don't think you're sending the right message. In the grand scheme of things, 9/11 and FEMA and even the Holocaust are small beans compared to the number of people's liberty infringed upon, lives ended and property destroyed by the LEGITIMIZED acts of government aggression.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2008, 10:08:14 am »

Question:
If we remove the Federal Reserve System, and Congress directly controls monetary policy...
what do you think the outcome would be?

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2008, 05:02:11 pm »

Mike Ruff gave a good piece of advice on the issues:  Don't bother wasting time with conspiracy theories.  Just look at the stuff that the government has already admitted to.

There are plenty of published documents involving the Pentagon Papers, Operation MK Ultra, water fluoridation, etc, that amply condemn the actions of federal officials.  The information that is publicly available is damning enough.  There are just too many sheeple who will not examine those facts.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2008, 11:03:17 am »

Mike Ruff gave a good piece of advice on the issues:  Don't bother wasting time with conspiracy theories.  Just look at the stuff that the government has already admitted to.

There are plenty of published documents involving the Pentagon Papers, Operation MK Ultra, water fluoridation, etc, that amply condemn the actions of federal officials.  The information that is publicly available is damning enough.  There are just too many sheeple who will not examine those facts.

Indeed.  So there's no reason to invent silly conspiracies which defy physics.

The government has done plenty, so why make things up?

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2008, 06:50:39 am »

I agree with Maxx ... most people love freedom and seek it.
I think Dreepa has been to too many town meetings or something. ;)

People vote for the lesser two evils and pay taxes because they are afraid.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

maverickthree

• LibertyDistricts2008
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2008, 04:22:07 pm »

You mean I'm a prisoner is Kalee-forn-ya?  ;) A nice project, but I have to take exception to Texas being listed as number 4. As a former resident of West Texas I can tell you that that part of the state is gulag country. The whole state as far as I'm concerned has a prison mentality and I felt very relieved when I finally left. The payscale is terrible there too.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:25:12 pm by maverickthree »
Evil men rule when good men do nothing.

Those with the best information are most likely to succeed.

Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
          ----Barry Goldwater
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Up