Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: State freedom rankings  (Read 54681 times)

mattbarney

• FSP Participant
  • Focused on freedom
Re: State freedom rankings
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2007, 11:43:45 pm »

Wow, what did Wyoming do wrong?
NH will likely be worse than average, too.  I am not sure how this is bad, but I bet Jason could come up with something if he wanted too :)

By 2030, they'll be lots of children of porcupines, and even some grand-children of Free Staters!  Just think if we could recruit the polygamists in Utah who want to be left alone, we could have plenty of younger freedom lovers   :)

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 12:19:12 am »

Just think if we could recruit the polygamists in Utah who want to be left alone, we could have plenty of younger freedom lovers   :)

That'd be the most interesting shadow ad yet
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2007, 08:03:18 am »

Wow, what did Wyoming do wrong?

Something unrelated that I am posting here anyway,

"By 2030, Montana and Wyoming are predicted to have among the oldest populations in the U.S., with about 26 percent of residents 65 and older, Swanson said. That compares to 19.7 percent predicted nationally." from http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20427902/

ND and SD are also gonna have a high percentage of the oldest population.  NH will likely be worse than average, too.  I am not sure how this is bad, but I bet Jason could come up with something if he wanted too :)

I don't think it's bad. :) I tried to predict state spending and tax levels with the dependency ratio (% of population under 18 or over 65) & got nothing. So more old people might not affect state politics very much.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2007, 11:25:20 am »

Just think if we could recruit the polygamists in Utah who want to be left alone, we could have plenty of younger freedom lovers   :)

I like it. ;D

The Mormons left the U.S. back in the early 1800s, but were then forced back under U.S. jurisdiction when they conquered a huge swath of Mexico in 1848. Polygamy was one of the major reasons they left, and one of the things the U.S. obsessively tried to stamp out after regaining control of them. There has got to be plenty of anti-U.S. sentiment in Utah among the historically-minded.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 04:06:06 pm by sj »

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007, 11:57:55 am »

I like it. ;D

The Mormons left the U.S. back in the early 1800s, but were then forced back under U.S. jurisdiction when they conquered a huge swath of Mexico in 1848. Polygamy was one of the major reasons they left, and one of the things the U.S. obsessively tried to stamp out after regaining control of them. There has got to be plenty of anti-U.S. sentiment in Utah among the historically-minded.

Do we have any Mormons or Utah residents who could do that?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 04:06:14 pm by sj »
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2007, 01:47:35 pm »

I can tell you from my interactions with family who are Mormon, that mainstream Mormonism preaches almost an abhorrence to Polygamy now, which is probably in response to a threat to the survival of that group from the government over the decades.  I think at best, by legalizing polygamy in NH, you could draw perhaps 10,000 people, at least from LDS offshoots.  Others might like it for their own reasons.

Yes, anyone who practices polygamy is not an actual member of "the" Mormon Church.  However, there are those who still practice polygamy and call themselves TRUE Mormons. 

You'll find that - as with any other group of people - their political views are very varied, although they tilt conservative.  The history of the Mormon church is one of theocracy; another thing they left as time went on.

mattbarney

• FSP Participant
  • Focused on freedom
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2007, 07:14:44 am »

However, there are those who still practice polygamy and call themselves TRUE Mormons. 

It's funny that mormons have the rep while other faiths practice it far more often.

Muslims and Hindus might also be attracted to a Free State where it's legal to marry multiple wives.  Nepali Hindu women are among the very few who marry multiple men (usually brothers). 

Matt
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 04:06:21 pm by sj »

frank_adams

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2008, 11:46:20 am »

The very first sentence on this tread was, "All right, I need to stress that these are preliminary."

Has there been a final analysis?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 12:24:05 pm »

The very first sentence on this tread was, "All right, I need to stress that these are preliminary."

Has there been a final analysis?

Sadly, no. However, we have a hard deadline for completing this, because we have to present it at a conference in April. Once we have some results that I'm more confident in, I'll post the "big picture" here.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2008, 07:37:28 am »

that is pretty funny ..... Colorado is 40 places better than Wyoming :o
I can't imagine too many people living in those states would rank them that way.

Well, probably most people in Wyoming aren't directly affected by the high mining taxes, and most of them probably don't complain about the government largesse they fund. As far as the average individual "feeling free," I'm sure Wyoming is much better than it looks on this ranking.
Exactly
People still move from Colorado and Utah to Wyoming to escape.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2008, 07:42:42 am »

It is also interesting to match the rankings with our movers per capita.
People have moved from places like Colorado, Missouri, Texas, and Virginia, but guys are staying in Wyoming.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 02:09:57 pm »

Got an inquiry about this recently. We have the final data & ranking now (but I won't give away the results! they are a bit different from what I posted before, due to some changes in fiscal policy measures for natural resource-rich states), and a lengthy report written up. We're just waiting on publication. The organization we're working with is pretty excited about it, and there could be some "mainstream press" in the offing, we'll see.

One little note I'll throw out there is that both economic and personal freedom attract people. Increasing personal freedom about one-third of the entire scale increases internal (US-based, not international) migration to a state between 2000 and 2007 by about 4% of total state population. Increasing economic freedom also attracts people, roughly at the same rate. So maybe most Americans are actually unconsciously libertarian & don't realize it yet! ;)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2008, 11:30:39 pm »

Most Americans are consciously freedom loving and are fully aware of it.  Most have one or two exceptions on issues, but I've done the WSPQ (which is a test of how good an economist you are) and virtually the entire population scores in the top two-thirds.  People knowingly migrate away from too many taxes, bureaucracy, corruption, micromanagement, etc.  People get tired of all the red tape and they leave.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
    • My Homepage
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2008, 05:07:07 pm »

Most Americans are consciously freedom loving and are fully aware of it.  Most have one or two exceptions on issues, but I've done the WSPQ (which is a test of how good an economist you are) and virtually the entire population scores in the top two-thirds.  People knowingly migrate away from too many taxes, bureaucracy, corruption, micromanagement, etc.  People get tired of all the red tape and they leave.

I think you're right.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2008, 06:28:10 pm »

Most people are sheeple and many are busybodies.
And most people are lazy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Up