Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: question about firearms laws  (Read 11506 times)

gir

question about firearms laws
« on: July 11, 2007, 02:56:34 pm »

from what i was told ect is it true you can legally carry a firearm as long as its visable "open carry" without permits or license? and is it the whole state or certain towns ect?
cali sux nh here i come!

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Re: question about firearms laws
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 03:40:32 pm »

Yes, visible, open carry of firearms is legal without any sort of permit.

I didn't even know guns could be fun before I came here. I've been able to try so many things here. It has been interesting and exciting.

Cathleen

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 04:35:21 pm »

A state that recognizes the second amendment?!    :o

Here's how the CA legal system views the second amendment, per a practicing attorney and college teacher.  This speech was recited by Mrs. Karen Sadler on the first day of a "Constitution & Rights of Americans" course at Modesto Junior College:

[paraphrasing from memory]
'The second amendment was intended only to apply to members of the official state militias.  Since we now have a centrally organized military, state militias are no longer in existance.  As such, the second amendment no longer applies to any citizen, and is null and void.  Any student stating otherwise in reports or on exams will be penalized.'

And so, I passed that class with a "B" instead of an "A"
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

LibertyforLife

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 04:38:58 pm »

Obviously she wasn't a English major and can't understand English. In my course studies of law I find that the English language is nothing like the law language.

I can't wait to learn more about guns and owning a few when I get to NH. I'd do it now, but I don't want be hassled or go through the hassle of going through Canada with one.
Live free or die!

gir

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 04:42:42 pm »

hey forest, well even though im in cali i own and shoot firearms alot and all i can tell you is when you get there get one! they are so much fun to me its a way to relax, i find it soothing i have no clue why. but youll enjoy it. but im going to be glad when i get there cuz cali has realy strict gun laws.
cali sux nh here i come!

LibertyforLife

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 08:57:47 pm »

Yeah, I'm hoping to catch a class in NV at Frontsight, perhaps a class here in AK before winter. Front Sight has a range up here, but its limited.

I've shyed away from guns because when I was younger I had anger management issues. I'm much better now, and am only overly paranoid. Not the black helocopters are watching me, or paranoia like that, but that people are monitoring my internet traffic, and reading what I post on the internet and so forth.

Now, I want to learn how to use guns. I'm kinda interested in the whole process of hand making guns as well. I've thought about learning smithing in general.
Live free or die!

citizen_142002

• Friend of the FSP
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 10:58:45 am »

There are no laws at the local level regarding firearms, and there can't be by state law. Some areas near manchester are shotgun only as far as hunting goes, but that's about it for local restrictions, and to be honest, I believe that the shotgun/rifle hunting areas are ultimately decided by Fish and Game, not the locality.

There are some towns where the police are more likely to hassle you. I know in Keene the don't. I've had friends who were open carrying, and a Massachusettes person made a stink and then called the police. They informed her that there was nothing they could do.

Manchester and Salem are where the cops have been known to give folks a hard time.

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 12:56:44 pm »

Manchester and Salem are where the cops have been known to give folks a hard time.

Well, I think it's just that we need MORE people those areas openly carrying; that way the cops will get used to the idea and realize they're wasting their time.

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 03:14:11 pm »

Well, I think it's just that we need MORE people those areas openly carrying; that way the cops will get used to the idea and realize they're wasting their time.

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=13940.0

Just posted this
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 04:44:55 pm »

http://freestateblogs.net/nhgunfaq

Any questions not answered there, I'm sure Pro-GUN NH and/or Gun Owners of NH and/or the NH Second Amendment Sisters would be happy to answer :)

http://pgnh.org/
http://gonh.org/
http://www.2asisters.net/nh/index.html

John C

• Chester Arms LLC
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 02:29:28 pm »

from what i was told ect is it true you can legally carry a firearm as long as its visable "open carry" without permits or license? and is it the whole state or certain towns ect?

Yes you may carry a loaded handgun openly without a concealed permit.
Very important thing to remember: Putting on a jacket or other item that covers it makes it concealed. Also getting into any vehicle, makes it concealed.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 05:29:29 pm »

By the way, she was wrong.  The DC circuit just essentially confirmed that the 2nd amendment is an individual right.  Now we just have to get SCOTUS to say it.

Yup  ;D

That was a GREAT opinion.  They actually quoted alot of the founders and what they said regarding the INDIVIDUAL right to keep and bear arms. 

I was able to meet the guy who's litigating the Parker v. Washington DC case and he told me that if he loses at the Supreme Court, he will probably lose on a standing issue; not on a susbstantive issue.  He said he's not TOO worried about an anti-2nd amendment ruling coming from the SCOTUS so that was good to hear. 

There are so many quotes by the Founders that throw this "it's a right for the militia" bulls**** right out of the water.  My favorite: "Arms in the hands of the citizens may be used at individual discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny or private self-defense." -- John Adams
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 08:32:25 pm »

Fight the commie power next time.  When I was finishing my BA at CSUSM, I almost got thrown out of a class for disputing the leftist propaganda being spewed from a professor.

By the way, she was wrong.  The DC circuit just essentially confirmed that the 2nd amendment is an individual right.  Now we just have to get SCOTUS to say it.

For general ed, I took a course on constitutional law and civil rights.  Within the first 5 minutes of class, the teacher jumped into the 2nd Amendment, and said that right is reserved for the militia, and we no longer have militias, so 2A is null and void.  She informed us that anybody submitting an answer contrary to this on any essay or test would get 0 points for that work.

I hadn't heard about the DC circuit ruling... I'll be sure to read up on that!  By the way, if you're interested, we've got some lively discussions of CA gun laws over at OpenCarry.com

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 09:09:19 pm »

I hadn't heard about the DC circuit ruling... I'll be sure to read up on that!  By the way, if you're interested, we've got some lively discussions of CA gun laws over at OpenCarry.com

Done any FSP plugging?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 08:13:32 pm by sjhipple »

hotchkiss

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 11:48:34 pm »

Hello. My second post on the FSP forum after having learned about it an hour ago. :) Good to hear that it's legal to carry a firearm on your hip in NH. I'm in Arizona, same deal here. Are there any restraints on owning semi-auto "assault weapons"  (  ::) ) in NH?

I'm the very happy owner of an AR-15, and would not want to part with it if I was to move away from Arizona.

P.S. My Bushmaster is affectionately named "Chucky"  for of course, who else?  Chuck Schumer
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up