Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving in July; looking for places in Concord  (Read 3405 times)

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
Moving in July; looking for places in Concord
« on: June 08, 2007, 06:52:36 pm »

I've lived in Massachusetts nearly my whole life, but now I'm finally making the move—been planning for long enough, and come July I'm leaving this state behind once and for all.

Let's see, no more sales tax, no more income tax...
No shoving auto insurance (and now health insurance!) down the citizens' throats...
No practically having to sign over your first-born to get a gun permit...
Yeah. ;D

So now I need to find an apartment. I'm looking for a one- or two-bedroom place in Concord, or maybe Manchester, for a year, hopefully in the $700 range but I'm willing to pay up to $850/mo if it's really good (most/all utilities included, &c.). I'm 26, no pets, non-smoker; the apartment is just for me.

Since I plan to keep my job in Massachusetts until I'm settled in, I'm looking for something within 5-15min walking distance of the Concord Trailways bus stations (30 Stickney Avenue, Concord and 119 Canal Street, Manchester). I plan to buy a car soon after I move—i.e., as soon as I can not have to pay exorbitant Massachusetts registration and insurance fees—so I'll need a place with parking.

Lastly, I'm especially looking for a place where I'd be able to get DSL service from this little New Hampshire company. Internet connectivity for me is an absolute must, and I'd much prefer giving my money to a NH outfit than companies like Verizon.

So if any of you other Free Staters know of anything good, let me know! :D

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
Re: Moving in July; looking for places in Concord
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 08:41:22 pm »

Hello, neighbor! We live right next to the high school in Concord, just off Pleasant and Liberty (that has a nice ring to it, eh?)

I've been happy with Comcast, no complaints.

I also have an absolute requirement for internet access for my job. What I've found extremely useful is a UPS system -- it seems like any time there's a thunderstorm, we lose power for a few seconds at some point. I splurged on a CyberPower 1500AVR, enough juice to power my CPU, monitor, cablemodem, wifi, and phone for about an hour. $250, but worth it IMO.

Hope to see you around Concord soon.

And one last thing: be sure and join the NH Liberty Alliance ASAP!
You can sign up with your email address now and just update your mailing address when you move...

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 02:18:58 am »

No shoving auto insurance (and now health insurance!) down the citizens' throats...

Wait, are you saying that NH does NOT require auto insurance?
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 05:57:31 am »

It's optional.  As a result, it's cheaper.  I strongly recommend it anyway, but it's your choice, not the government's.

Same thing with seat belts and motorcycle helmets.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

lloydbob1

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 07:46:12 am »

Hello, neighbor! We live right next to the high school in Concord, just off Pleasant and Liberty (that has a nice ring to it, eh?)

I also have an absolute requirement for internet access for my job. What I've found extremely useful is a UPS system -- it seems like any time there's a thunderstorm, we lose power for a few seconds at some point. I splurged on a CyberPower 1500AVR, enough juice to power my CPU, monitor, cablemodem, wifi, and phone for about an hour. $250, but worth it IMO.

You can sign up with your email address now and just update your mailing address when you move...

I once rented a room on the corner of High and Pleasant St. in Portland, ME

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 04:38:09 pm »

Indeed. New Hampshire is one of five states that does not require it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 09:53:24 pm by J'raxis 270145 »

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 05:14:40 pm »

Nice. When I took a trip up to Concord to have a look around, I took a walk down Pleasant Street out into the countryside—probably walked right by your house.

My experience with this MV Communications company so far has been awesome—for each apartment I’ve been looking at, I’ve called them to see if their service was available at the address and they’ve always been helpful. (Just one example: On Friday, the tool they use to check addresses was down during the day when I called. The woman I spoke with called me back later that night to let me know they still didn’t have an answer, and on Saturday their emergency tech support guy—they’re closed on Saturday—called me back with an answer.)

I can’t say how good their service is until I actually sign up with them, but if it’s anything like their tech support, it has to be great. I’d love to see Verizon or one of the other big players try to match this kind of customer service.

The electricity situation is similar where I live now—fairly regular thunderstorms this time of year, and it takes the power down for a couple seconds, which is just enough time for all my boxes to reboot.

I signed up to the NH Liberty Alliance last night. That “report card” score-keeping they’re doing is really useful. Once I move I’ll probably get involved in some of their activities.

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 05:26:06 am »

It's optional.  As a result, it's cheaper.  I strongly recommend it anyway, but it's your choice, not the government's.

Same thing with seat belts and motorcycle helmets.

After living in CA for the last 18 years (moved from AZ when I was 8), I guess I take this sort of thing for granted.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 02:17:50 am by CA_Libertarian »
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 08:44:19 pm »

I’ve found a place in Manchester, so it looks like I’ll be moving there—but seeing as how Concord is the state capital, I’m sure I’ll be back up there from time to time. ;D

FreeBoB

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 11:56:59 pm »

I once rented a room on the corner of High and Pleasant St. in Portland, ME

I lived on High Street In Peacedale, RI for a couple of years...
Pages: [1]   Go Up