Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Beware what type of town government  (Read 4205 times)

TomAlciere

Beware what type of town government
« on: July 02, 2007, 08:39:22 am »

Porcupines have heard all about the virtues of the New England town meeting. Just beware that some towns have a town council, not a town meeting. Of course, you might get elected to the town council, but just be aware of this before buying a house.

Tom Alciere
smart person
Nashua, Hillsborough County

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
Re: Beware what type of town government
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 09:17:56 am »

Tom, if you were "smart", you wouldn't have been asked to leave the House.

http://www.asfar.org/zine/7th/guest1.html

Fair warning to all FSPers: Tom is not a mover, he's a good example of the sort of person you _don't_ want to become associated with.

TomAlciere

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 11:42:59 am »

Fair warning to all FSPers: Tom is not a mover, he's a good example of the sort of person you _don't_ want to become associated with.

Thank you for telling them what to think. Can't have them making up their own minds, can you?

Tom Alciere

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 12:09:03 pm »

Thank you for telling them what to think. Can't have them making up their own minds, can you?

Funny, how my pointing to facts, and posting a warning, letting them know that you have seriously damaged reputation in NH, is "telling them what to think".  People can and will make up their own mind... and having the truth is part of that.

Tom lost his most recent run for Senate, in the Republican primary, to a _writein_, once the party realized he was running for anything.  Frankly, having Tom show up on the side of the FSP is like having a boat anchor tied to you when you are swimming: it's not a good thing.

TomAlciere

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 12:21:12 pm »

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 12:56:09 pm »

What is your current position on killing police officers?

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 01:25:17 pm »

I am a first 1000 mover and have no problem being associated with Tom even though I don't personally know him. From what I read, the only mistake he made was being a wuss and resigning. I wouldn't have. I would have told the Governor where to stick his request. Of course I don't know all the points in his personal decision so I can't judge too harshly. And how someone feels about killing a cop is a silly question. The question is, how do you feel about killing another human being since a cop is just that, another person. The badge doesn't make him special and it doesn't make him right. And the answer is, anyone who is trying to lock me in a cage "for my own good" will get a bullet in the head and I don't care what kind of uniform or badge he is wearing.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 01:44:01 pm »

Tom resigned from the house after it was revealed he had advocated killing police officers in internet postings.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E06EFD8153DF937A25752C0A9679C8B63&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fSubjects%2fP%2fPolice

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 02:26:42 pm »

Tom resigned from the house after it was revealed he had advocated killing police officers in internet postings.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E06EFD8153DF937A25752C0A9679C8B63&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fSubjects%2fP%2fPolice

As for killing police officers... I don't know the details of Tom's comments or the incident discussed in the first article you linked.  However, cops are people just like you and me.  The only difference is the courts give them special treatment when it comes to brandishing a weapon, assault, battery, etc.  Does it make it OK for a cop to commit these crimes?  In my opinion: no.  However, they know what they can get away with, and the majority of people tolerate it.  Why do we (society) allow cops to break laws like this without equal punishment?  The worst that will usually happen is paid administrative leave and forced resignation.  More often, they're reassigned, or simply warned not to do it again.

Would I kill a cop if he unreasonably brandished a weapon at me?  Knowing the special treatment he gets, hell no.  I think the safer, saner way to deal with it is political reform.  We need to hold the cops accountable for violating the laws they are there to enforce.  Start putting cops in jail for using excessive force or for brandishing their weapon, and we'll see a lot less of it.  I would argue that there should be harsher punishment for cops, as they are entrusted with certain powers under the condition they take an oath to uphold the laws.

Again, I don't know the details of the incedent Tom's comments were directed towards.  But I've personally witnessed many incedents of illegal activity by police officers (from dereliction of duty to assault/battery), and in a few of those cases I wouldn't fault the victim's use of defensive force.
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 03:30:30 pm »

They don't list his actual statements but they do say that he was swayed by the families of murdered police offficers. I personally have much more sympathy for the families of civillians murdered by cops. And the list is exponentially longer. Either way, I still wouldn't have resigned.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 03:49:48 pm »

http://www.skeptictank.org/gen4/gen02352.htm

Google him, and you can do your own research.

lloydbob1

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 04:49:16 pm »

Sometimes small towns aren't such a good thing ;D

lastlady

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 06:34:22 pm »

I am a first 1000 mover and have no problem being associated with Tom even though I don't personally know him. From what I read, the only mistake he made was being a wuss and resigning. I wouldn't have. I would have told the Governor where to stick his request. Of course I don't know all the points in his personal decision so I can't judge too harshly. And how someone feels about killing a cop is a silly question. The question is, how do you feel about killing another human being since a cop is just that, another person. The badge doesn't make him special and it doesn't make him right. And the answer is, anyone who is trying to lock me in a cage "for my own good" will get a bullet in the head and I don't care what kind of uniform or badge he is wearing.

Ditto!

TomAlciere

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 08:20:07 pm »

Funny, how my pointing to facts, and posting a warning, letting them know that you have seriously damaged reputation in NH, is "telling them what to think".  People can and will make up their own mind... and having the truth is part of that.

>> he's a good example of the sort of person you _don't_ want to become associated with.

That is telling them what to think.

TomAlciere

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 08:21:09 pm »

What is your current position on killing police officers?

Are you the attitude inspector?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up