Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Which state do you like?  (Read 12435 times)

Mega Joule

Which state do you like?
« on: August 05, 2002, 05:14:28 pm »

Which state do you think you would like the best and why?

Right now the choices are:  Alaska, Delaware, Idaho, Maine, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, Wyoming

Mega Joule
"One essential of a free government is that it rest wholly on voluntary support.  And one certain proof that a goverment is not free, is that it coerces more or less persons to support it, against their will."  (Lysander Spooner, 1867)

Neo-Jeffersonian

• Life Boy Scout and NRA Sharpshooter.
Re:Which state do you like?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2002, 06:44:59 pm »

Personally, I think Nevada would be best.  It's close to my home state.  Also, it has the Grand Canyon, something that I've always wanted to see.

:)GANDALF THE WHITE :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2002, 09:56:10 pm by Gandalf the White »
"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"--Patrick Henry, 1776

"It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked." --Unknown.

Mega Joule

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2002, 08:22:35 pm »

Personally, I think Nevada would be best.  It's close to my hom state.  Also, it has the Grand Canyon, something that I've always wanted to see.
:)GANDALF THE WHITE :)

Do you think it would be a good place to establish the free state?  Why or why not?

If you want to learn more about some of the states you can read about them.
For Nevada:  http://freestateproject.org/nevada.htm
For Montana:  http://freestateproject.org/montana.htm
For Vermont:  http://freestateproject.org/vermont.htm
For Idaho:  http://freestateproject.org/idaho.htm
For New Hampshire:  http://freestateproject.org/newhampshire.htm

Check them out and see what you think.

Mega Joule
"One essential of a free government is that it rest wholly on voluntary support.  And one certain proof that a goverment is not free, is that it coerces more or less persons to support it, against their will."  (Lysander Spooner, 1867)

ChrisforLiberty

• Volunteer Silver Exchange
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2002, 05:02:55 pm »

Well, my list with some short answers:

Maine-beautiful place and access to the ocean.
New Hampshire-same as Maine
Vermont-nice place especially during the fall and rural enviroment
New Mexico-have friends there and wide open country.

The elitists fear an ever growing political advocacy that is present in the common man and woman. It offends their sense of the class structure and their own morally corrupt world view. What better way to maintain this elitist structure than to indoctrinate a child at a very early age?

foadi

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2002, 01:42:36 pm »

If it's not west of the rockies, I'm not going...
The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed.

Neo-Jeffersonian

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2002, 02:06:00 pm »

Mega Joule,

I read your report on Nevada and have decided that it would NOT be a very good state to live in.  Some of the laws are as stupid as many of California's, save the gun laws.  I think Montana would be a better state to go to.  It's already very free, therefore giving FSPers a better chance to turn it into a completely Free State.

:) Gandalf the White :)
"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"--Patrick Henry, 1776

"It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked." --Unknown.

cathleeninsc

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2002, 02:27:53 pm »

And some of us put freedom ahead of geography.

Cathleen in SC

foadi

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2002, 04:58:35 pm »

And some of us put freedom ahead of geography.
The state cannot grant you freedom.  No organization can grant you freedom.   Freedom is just something you are born with.  I am sick of the state stealing my money, and harassing me.  Also, I could always just go to Costa Rica.  Things look like they are getting better down there.  Or I could live on a boat...

...or I could...

...ok, I'll shut up...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2002, 04:59:46 pm by foadi »
The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed.

Harrypotter

• Founder of the Midukon Challengers
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2002, 09:28:48 pm »

I would like to move to Montana because there the government doesn't oun much land and because in the mountains you will find a lot of adventure. :)

Neo-Jeffersonian

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2002, 01:07:43 am »

I like Montana because they much more relaxed law about guns and because, from what I've heard and seen in pictures, it has some fantastic and beautiful sights.

MITHRANDIR

Ceol Mhor

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a porcupine!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2002, 11:57:39 pm »

I think that Wyoming and Montana are the best choices - they seem to be the most receptive to a libertarian movement, and that's the most important issue. If we can't get laws changed/repealed, then the whole FSP is for naught. Plus, I love the open space and gorgeous scenery that they offer. :)

Neo-Jeffersonian

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2002, 08:42:48 pm »

In a state like Montana or Wyoming you can disapear from the Government's eyes because  of thier  wide-open spaces.
When I move to the Free State I will have a small cabin in the mountains so no-one will know where I am, or for that matter, that I even exist.

GANDALF

Exterminatus

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2002, 07:50:28 am »

I was under the impression that New Hampshire had zilch income tax

Mr_Green

• Jonathan Green
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2002, 10:55:53 pm »

Hello, all...

Personally, I agree that Wyoming or Montana are the two best bets.  If like Wyoming more, I'm from there and there is a smaller population, but considering the trade implications I have to give props to Montana's position.  I would probably split my vote between those two states, pending my decision to sign on.

BTW -- I only know of Wyoming, but there is a modest (read: light) income tax, but no sales tax.  That's taken care of from mineral removal taxes through industry, probably something I would like to see continue.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2002, 10:57:43 pm by Mr_Green »

Martel

• The Molecular Man!
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2002, 09:59:37 pm »

I dunno if I'm in the minority on this aspect, but I'd go wherever it was decided was best.  I don't have any particular ties to any geographical region, and the weather is a lot less important to me than the political climate and the people.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up