Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Your thoughts on handguns, choose the best answer

Guns are good, I have one(or more), I carry one(or more)
Guns are good, I have one(or more), but why carry one?
Guns are fine, I have (or will have)one(or more)
Guns are fine, but I wouldnt own one.
I dont care eighter way.
I dont like them, but I wont force others to not have them
I dont like them, and Ill take a political stance
There should be no question, Nobody should own a gun unless its for hunting.
Nobody should own a gun, they are just too dangerous.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Your gun standpoint!  (Read 17460 times)

Simy

Your gun standpoint!
« on: June 17, 2007, 12:12:21 pm »

I only ask this because if this project does as it should do, I would like to know what everybody's stance is on my ability to defend myself.

I only weigh around ~170 and am not particularly willing to hope the police happen to be there.

Also, a few questions, everywhere but a courthouse is what I've heard about New Hampshire, Is this true? I've also heard that at a courthouse You can simple have them hold it for you at the gate, again is this true?

I've been planning on moving out of Florida for awhile, apparently so is my dad (who was originally from New Hampshire) (Hes neutral on guns despite my best efforts).

I just want to make sure I'm OK on that.

Also about posting, If I'm somewhere and a sign says no guns, in Florida (while Ive actually never seen a sign except at gun stores) it has no legal weight. They can ask me to leave(with or without reason) but I'm not excluded for carrying regardless of the persons views. How is this like up there?

Thank you all for answering the poll. Your opinions will help me judge the mindset of most there... I'm tired of arguing with people with why I want to carry, its bad enough that I've had to explain to several officers why I can, and do carry. I don't want to goto the same procedure with what will be a rapidly evolving political system...

-Simy

PS: First post, sorry if I sound a little too whiny...

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Your gun standpoint!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 12:29:25 pm »

Unfortunately the users of this forum are a miniscule percentage of FSP participants, so whatever the result of your poll, it's probably not worth its weight in ethernet packets.

Having said that...NH has great (i.e., very non-restrictive) gun laws.  And of the FSP'ers I've met and talked to, I don't recall a single one being anti-gun.  I'd even wager that for around half, the right to bear arms is one of their hot-button issues.

I'll defer to someone more knowledgeable about NH's laws to answer your specific questions about carrying.

Like anywhere else, NH has its share of hoplophobes who will freak out and call the police when they see people carrying openly (despite open-carry being legal without any sort of permit).  The good news is that those hoplophobes are in the wrong, and so long as NH doesn't become a police state you won't get into any legal trouble.

To summarize, your pro-self-defense beliefs should fit in very well in NH and with the FSP.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 01:01:21 pm »

I haven't moved yet, but I carry my .38 openly (I can't stand the idea of getting fingerprinted...so I decided against getting a concealed carry permit).
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 01:09:26 pm »

Pro-Gun New Hampshire's website answered most the questions I had, and appears to be kept up to date.

I've read someplace that a CCW does allow you to carry anywhere but a court house, but you may want to ask the appropriate federal enforcement agency(ies) if you'll get hauled off if you carry in a post office or at a school.
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

Simy

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 01:53:06 pm »

Thats a glock in your icon isnt it :) I happen to have (and damn near always carry) a Glock 26:)

Thanks for your help everybody, Like i said I just wanted to see what people thought... I've got more research to do still though.

GhengisConrad

• I am human
    • My Resume
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 03:54:03 pm »

Wheres the Guns are amazing but I dont own one yet answer?
"I will not help you to pretend I have a chance. I will not help you to preserve the appearance of righteousness where rights are not recognized. I will not help you to preserve an appearance of rationality by entering a debate in which a gun is the final argument. I will not help you to pretend that you are administering justice."- Hank Rearden page 443

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 04:23:32 pm »

Can you re-phrase that to something I can understand?  :)
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 04:30:45 pm »

Where's the "Government should pass out guns for free to anyone who wants one."
Works for the Swiss it's a legit funtion of government to provide for the national defense.
Who would invade a country where every citizen was armed? No one.
Said Patrick Henry, "The great object is that every man be armed . . . [e]veryone who is able may have a gun."

http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/everyman.html
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

Crocuta

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 04:54:37 pm »

I only ask this because if this project does as it should do, I would like to know what everybody's stance is on my ability to defend myself.

You should be free to use whatever appropriate force is needed to defend yourself or others from harm. 

I've been planning on moving out of Florida for awhile, apparently so is my dad (who was originally from New Hampshire) (Hes neutral on guns despite my best efforts).

If he's neutral, don't push him on it.  Focus on things that he's more inclined to agree with.  As you help him find and explore other topics to which he can accept a liberty viewpoint, you might find his stance on guns change.

I just want to make sure I'm OK on that.

You're OK.  ;)

Also about posting, If I'm somewhere and a sign says no guns, in Florida (while Ive actually never seen a sign except at gun stores) it has no legal weight. They can ask me to leave(with or without reason) but I'm not excluded for carrying regardless of the persons views. How is this like up there?

I would like to address this.  Don't let the issue rest on whether or not it has legal weight, but rather whether it has moral and ethical weight.  If you come to my house, and I have a sign that says "No Smoking", the request itself has no legal weight, but it would be immoral and unethical for you to violate my wishes on my private property and smoke anyways.  Likewise, if a private business owner posts a sign that says "No Guns" you should feel a moral and ethical obligation to respect his rights to set the rules on his private property.  Personally, I would hold no ill-will toward such a person, but I would not patronize his business.  My money would go to someone who had greater respect for the need for self-defense in society.

Thank you all for answering the poll. Your opinions will help me judge the mindset of most there... I'm tired of arguing with people with why I want to carry, its bad enough that I've had to explain to several officers why I can, and do carry. I don't want to goto the same procedure with what will be a rapidly evolving political system...

Like others said, the boards do not reflect the FSP.  Took me a while to realize that.

John C

• Chester Arms LLC
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 06:49:36 pm »

I would like to address this.  Don't let the issue rest on whether or not it has legal weight, but rather whether it has moral and ethical weight.  If you come to my house, and I have a sign that says "No Smoking", the request itself has no legal weight, but it would be immoral and unethical for you to violate my wishes on my private property and smoke anyways.  Likewise, if a private business owner posts a sign that says "No Guns" you should feel a moral and ethical obligation to respect his rights to set the rules on his private property.  Personally, I would hold no ill-will toward such a person, but I would not patronize his business.  My money would go to someone who had greater respect for the need for self-defense in society.

Most Major Malls in new Hampshire have signs saying No Weapons (Mainly Simon Malls)

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 08:23:01 pm »

Most Major Malls in new Hampshire have signs saying No Weapons (Mainly Simon Malls)

These types of requests have indirect legal weight: If you don’t follow them, they can ask you to leave and not return, and if you refuse to leave or return later on, you’re trespassing.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 08:46:29 pm »

Unfortunately the users of this forum are a miniscule percentage of FSP participants, so whatever the result of your poll, it's probably not worth its weight in ethernet packets.

What could we do to get more people to use the forum? Does anyone know if it’s simply that people don’t bother using it, or are most FSP participants simply unaware it exists? I myself only just started coming here even though I signed up for an account in 2003, my excuse being that, beyond telling people about the FSP, I haven’t been very active in it until this month—now that I finally have concrete moving plans. ;D

So what can we do to get more Free Staters over here?

• Move the link on www.freestateproject.org to a more prominent position?

• Try to channel people here by using the Announcements board for announcements more often, perhaps posting the monthly newsletters in there?

• Move some of the other content, like the essays on www.freestateproject.org, over to here?

• Add prominent links to the forum in email announcements?

• Try to cut down in the debating forums that end up alienating people? I’ve seen people complaining about this in a few places. I’ve been participating in plenty of these debates myself, but usually with consensus and agreement in mind, and haven’t resorted to outright attacking people who disagree with me.

• Conduct as much of the event-organizing activities as possible through the forums?

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 09:04:32 pm »

J'raxis, I haven't moved myself yet, but I know alot of people that've moved are on the NHfree forum, which is more focused on DOING things now that they're there...whereas this forum is more focused on getting people there in the first place

GhengisConrad

• I am human
    • My Resume
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 12:08:06 am »

It was 6 in the morning with no sleep again at that time.

Its all about putting quotes in the right spot. Watch this.

Wheres the "Guns are amazing but I dont own one yet", answer?

Grammer is cool no? :)
"I will not help you to pretend I have a chance. I will not help you to preserve the appearance of righteousness where rights are not recognized. I will not help you to preserve an appearance of rationality by entering a debate in which a gun is the final argument. I will not help you to pretend that you are administering justice."- Hank Rearden page 443

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 12:28:36 am »

J'raxis, I haven't moved myself yet, but I know alot of people that've moved are on the NHfree forum, which is more focused on DOING things now that they're there...whereas this forum is more focused on getting people there in the first place

Right, and the majority of FSP participants still haven’t moved, so they’d do well to come here, wouldn’t they?  ;)

Just signed up on NHfree.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up