Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: College First?  (Read 3015 times)

ticktockclok

College First?
« on: June 14, 2007, 09:49:02 pm »

I'm a fifteen year old in a suburb of Chicago. Over the past few months, I've been reading more and more about freedom and government in general, from sites such as Information Liberation and Strike the Root. I now consider myself an anarchist. In the month of April, I plotted to convince my parents to let me out of high school with the book "Teenage Liberation Handbook". It didn't work, since my parents are pretty entrenched in their beliefs, but I'm not giving up yet. I've always been an "honor roll" student, but thanks to some terrible teachers and general discontent with compulsory schooling, I made a 180 in my life, completely disregarding school, dropping out of honors classes for the next year and whatnot, in order to begin my own education. I was planning to start a business, which is now running, before I found this site. Now, the business idea seems even better to make my move to New Hampshire.

I absolutely abhor school, with a passion. Every day I spend there is more torture, because I know I would be doing so much better out of school. I don't know if college is more of the same, but right now, I don't want or need student loans and I don't want to go to college if its High School #2. If I did go to college, the only thing I would want to do is whatever would help this freedom movement; I'm not sure what that is. I like entrepreneurship (is that a major), but to me, a degree is just a shitty little piece of paper. I want to learn, not buy some pretty stationary with a stamp on it for 20 grand a year.What would you suggest: going to college or going straight to NH?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 01:14:33 am by ticktockclok »

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
Re: College First?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 10:20:01 pm »

A degree is useful if you see yourself ever needing to seek employment by someone else; it’s a piece of paper that proves you know something for the kind of people who think you need a piece of paper to prove you know something.

If you plan to start your own business, don’t bother with college; you can learn anything you need to on your own.

And a degree isn’t even entirely necessary to become employed; it depends on how brainwashed your particular place of employment’s managers and HR staff are. I dropped out of college (CS major) after the second year, and went to work full-time in an IT department at another university—the same job I had worked at part-time while attending college.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 10:20:54 pm »

How about going to college in NH?? ;)

If you like learning about anarchism, you'll probably like Free Talk Live (FreeTalkLive.com).  It's a national talk show hosted by two free staters (an anarchist and a minarchist).

Be your own person of course, but don't do anything that'll mess up your dreams.  If you need schooling to do what you want to do, there's nothing wrong with it...it gives extra choices at the very least.  Depending on what state you live in, home schooling might not be very hard, if your parents are down with that.  I was home schooled from beginning to end and am in law school now.  Remember that you can start taking community college classes (whether you've graduated or not) at 16.  If you make good grades there, high school will cease to be an issue (I never finished high school).  It's unconventional, but I've seen it done many times without problems.

As far as your questions about whether college is highschool #2, I'm not sure b/c I never went, but I know that college is much more self-directed. The teachers pretty much let you do your thing. If you don't care, they don't care.  Most of the learning is out of the classroom in college, which may work better for your personality.  Resist the temptation to study something non-marketable...like philosophy or something (I've yet to find a want ad for a philosopher).

If you've got a business, you may not need the piece of paper.  What's your business?  NH is one of the most business-friendly states in the country.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 10:24:22 pm by sjhipple »
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 10:21:46 pm »

Go to college, or for the rest of your life you'll wonder whether you should have.
It's not for everyone, but if you really don't know, and you don't have a specific interest that drives you, my advice is to go.
Just be sure and study something marketable. Engineering of any kind, something in the health field, whatever. Something where a real market demand exists. Whether you wind up doing that the rest of your life or not, you'll at least have a marketable skill.

All that said... there are colleges in New Hampshire, you know!
How about applying to them?

GhengisConrad

• I am human
    • My Resume
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 10:32:38 pm »

In my experiance college is not High School #2. Its a relativley far more open place where discussion is faster and if you dont wanna go because its boring, you can just show up and ace the tests. Personally I like the discussions so I go almost all the time but yeah.

I think college is great, and is a good structured way to learn but you gotta make up your mind yourself. If you dont like structure, surf wikipedia all day. If you have that kind of mind you can probably learn more that way.
"I will not help you to pretend I have a chance. I will not help you to preserve the appearance of righteousness where rights are not recognized. I will not help you to preserve an appearance of rationality by entering a debate in which a gun is the final argument. I will not help you to pretend that you are administering justice."- Hank Rearden page 443

ticktockclok

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 10:57:59 pm »

How about going to college in NH?? ;)

If you like learning about anarchism, you'll probably like Free Talk Live (FreeTalkLive.com).  It's a national talk show hosted by two free staters (an anarchist and a minarchist).

Be your own person of course, but don't do anything that'll mess up your dreams.  If you need schooling to do what you want to do, there's nothing wrong with it...it gives extra choices at the very least.  Depending on what state you live in, home schooling might not be very hard, if your parents are down with that.  I was home schooled from beginning to end and am in law school now.  Remember that you can start taking community college classes (whether you've graduated or not) at 16.  If you make good grades there, high school will cease to be an issue (I never finished high school).  It's unconventional, but I've seen it done many times without problems.

As far as your questions about whether college is highschool #2, I'm not sure b/c I never went, but I know that college is much more self-directed. The teachers pretty much let you do your thing. If you don't care, they don't care.  Most of the learning is out of the classroom in college, which may work better for your personality.  Resist the temptation to study something non-marketable...like philosophy or something (I've yet to find a want ad for a philosopher).

If you've got a business, you may not need the piece of paper.  What's your business?  NH is one of the most business-friendly states in the country.

That was my plan with my parents; to allow me to homeschool myself. They didn't agree, because they wouldn't be there to supervise me. If they were there to supervise me, there would be no way I would want to homeschool, because it would be far worse than school.

I'll look into Free Talk Live; thanks for that suggestion.

My problems are with the entire education system. I think the whole idea of forcing people to cram facts so that they can get better grades to feel better about themselves is absurd. I really don't care about conventional/unconventional, but my parents just want to follow the herd. I'm thinking that if I ever go to NH, especially without a college degree, it will be without their approval.

About learning something marketable; making money is easy- the main problem most people have with making money is not taking calculated risks and not having initiative. I have both of those. But money is not a big incentive for me. In the last year, I became infuriated with the public education system; I then realized it wasn't just that, but it was government in general. All I really care about is promoting the cause of freedom, and if possible, seeing government go down in my lifetime.

I think the world as we know it will change drastically in my lifetime. We will no longer be running out of resources; we will be out of resources. I don't know much about economics, but I do know that after war and huge debt, currencies collapse, a la mark. Much of what I've read suggests the same will happen with the dollar. So, I'm pretty confused as to what the future holds for me.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 11:09:25 pm by ticktockclok »

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 07:40:30 am »

if you dont wanna go because its boring, you can just show up and ace the tests.

Not in my classes. ;)
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

zelaya

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 10:17:31 am »

Let me just add to this discussion that you don't have to go to college right out of high school.  I'm 33 and working on my degree part-time while employed full-time.  I tried college right after high school and I couldn't adapt to it, I felt lost, I didn't know what to study because I didn't know what life would hold for me yet.  I'm glad I dropped out and waited, got some life experience first, because otherwise I would have majored in the wrong thing.  As a mature adult, I'm a goal-focused, A student, studying something I love, and confident in my ability to apply it in the real world.  It is harder to go back to school as an adult in some ways but it is an option for those of us who don't fit the mold.  I think your perspective will change as you age - just leave your options open by graduating from high school with acceptable grades.  Maybe talk to your parents about taking a year off (to work, not to bum around) before making a decision about college?

seamas

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 11:40:12 pm »

One option that you may not be aware of is to go to college now rather than when you graduate high school.  I went to Simon's Rock College, which takes people straight out of high school (usually after their sophomore year) when I was 16.  It's a liberal arts college and many people transfer after their second year (I did), especially if they are interested in a non-liberal arts major.  College in general, and Simon's Rock in particular, is nothing like high school.  The level of intellectual and social opportunities were just what I needed, as I was also frustrated by high school and living with my folks.

Indisputably, too much of education is mere "credentialing" with the goal of getting a "good" job (despite how oblique what you learn often is to one's job).  Still, I look at the world very differently than when I was 16, 25, or even 35.  Given that you seem intellectually curious you probably will look at things differently as you get older and a great thing about education is that it can equip you to adapt to new realities by teaching you to "learn to learn".  The danger of dropping out of school to be an autodidact is that you may become narrowly educated and not expose yourself to the full breadth of knowledge or learn of things that contradict what you currently believe.  One of my best friends dropped out of high school yet knows more about aspects of biology than I do (and I've a PhD. in neuroscience).  Not to sound too much like your folks but he works in a warehouse.  Not that there's anything wrong with that but his options are needlessly constrained.  The income gap between college(+) grads and high school(-) grads has grown a great deal in recent years and is likely to continue to do so.  I'm not consumed by acquiring money but it sure does matter more to me now than it did when I was 16.

Anywho, I've gone on and on at the risk of being preachy because I was where you are now and I wish you the best.

I'm a fifteen year old in a suburb of Chicago. Over the past few months, I've been reading more and more about freedom and government in general, from sites such as Information Liberation and Strike the Root. I now consider myself an anarchist. In the month of April, I plotted to convince my parents to let me out of high school with the book "Teenage Liberation Handbook". It didn't work, since my parents are pretty entrenched in their beliefs, but I'm not giving up yet. I've always been an "honor roll" student, but thanks to some terrible teachers and general discontent with compulsory schooling, I made a 180 in my life, completely disregarding school, dropping out of honors classes for the next year and whatnot, in order to begin my own education. I was planning to start a business, which is now running, before I found this site. Now, the business idea seems even better to make my move to New Hampshire.

I absolutely abhor school, with a passion. Every day I spend there is more torture, because I know I would be doing so much better out of school. I don't know if college is more of the same, but right now, I don't want or need student loans and I don't want to go to college if its High School #2. If I did go to college, the only thing I would want to do is whatever would help this freedom movement; I'm not sure what that is. I like entrepreneurship (is that a major), but to me, a degree is just a shitty little piece of paper. I want to learn, not buy some pretty stationary with a stamp on it for 20 grand a year.What would you suggest: going to college or going straight to NH?

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 07:00:30 am »

I didn't like school either. If it hadn't been for my friends and sports, I would have been bored or irritated.
I wouldn't waste time and money on college again if I had it to do over again.
I hope to meet you soon in The Shire.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything