Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: State ranking by self-sufficiency in food, energy, water, etc., etc.  (Read 13438 times)

Solitar

ENERGY
Net energy production or consumption by state in Quadrillion BTU's in 1999.
Production includes oil, coal, gas, and  electricity from nuclear, hydro, geothermal, wood, wind, waste, and solar; but does not include distributed generation, e.g., residential solar roofs.
Note that this is actual production and consumption and does not measure potential production from untapped solar, tidal, wind, geothermal, coal, oil, gas, etc.
+ or -        State     Production vs Consumption
+8.006   Wyoming 8.428 vs 0.422
+2.078   Alaska 2.773 vs 0.695
+0.655   Montana 1.067 vs 0.412
+0.553   North Dakota 0.919 vs 0.366
- 0.146   Vermont 0.019 vs 0.165
- 0.210   South Dakota 0.029 vs 0.239
- 0.279   Delaware 0.000 vs 0.279
- 0.296   New Hampshire 0.039 vs 0.335
- 0.470   Idaho 0.048 vs 0.518
- 0.506   Maine 0.023 vs 0.529
Source:
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/states/_statequads.html

FARM PRODUCTS
The following is an attempt at some estimate of self-sufficiency in farm products. Though there are many ways that the following does not directly measure this, it is a measure of how the value of farm products per person in each state. I include total farm acreage and average farm size. Note also the productivity in dollars per acre and the very high values from Delaware versus very low values in Montana. Note also for those wanting BIG FARMS -- see the Average Acres per Farm.
Nevertheless, in a general way, the topmost states could be the most “self-sufficient”.
$/personState1990 populationFarm Products $Value 19871987 Total Farm AcresFarm $/acreAcres/Farm
$3,907SD0,696,004$2,719,498,00044,157,503$0621,214
$3,425ND0,638,800$2,188,158,00040,336,869$0541,143
$2,254ID1,006,749$2,269,404,00013,931,875$1630,577
$1,936MT0,799,065$1,547,286,00060,203,993$0262,451
$1,492WY0,453,588$0,676,721,00033,595,135$0203,650
$0,667VT0,562,758$0,375,537,00001,407,868$2670,240
$0,666DE0,666,168$0,443,575,00000,608,245$7290,205
$0,330ME1,227,928$0,405,484,00001,342,588$3020,214
$0,097NH1,109,252$0,107,102,00000,426,237$2510,169
$0,033AK0,550,043$0,017,972,00001,026,732$0181,789
Source:
http://fisher.lib.virginia.edu/ccdb/state94.html
(newer data would be nice, yet I doubt the above general ranking would change much.)

Zxcv

Re:State ranking by self-sufficiency in food, energy, water, etc., etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2003, 09:30:39 pm »

Not sure why these things should matter. We are correct to worry about political dependence on the federal government, but why give a hoot about economic dependence on the other states? Unless you are thinking of seceding, that is.  :P
« Last Edit: February 19, 2003, 09:31:17 pm by Zxcv »

cathleeninsc

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 08:08:37 am »

I consider productivity to spare a very valuable asset.

Kelton

• FSP Participant
  • el resplandor de las llamas de la libertad
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2003, 11:01:19 am »

I'd like to point-out that Idaho beats the Dakotas in having the most diversified range of agricultural crops.  Depending on who is compiling the statistics, Idaho ranks #1 in the nation in the net production of between 16 to 23 different crops!! Potatoes are only one of the items in which Idaho excells.  Idaho is not far behind in ranking from #1 California in quantity of a diverse variety of agricultural food commodities.   And unlike the Dakotas, most of the crops in Idaho have not qualified for farming subsidies,  well, that is until later this year or next year when some of those farming provisions in the Homeland Security legislation come into play. . .

I would also like to point-out that 15% of Idaho's population belong to a religion that strongly advocates self-sufficiency and emergency preparedness, including having a year's supply of food storage.  Among them, approximately 40,000 people in Idaho volunteer their labor for one of the largest private charity agencies in the world ran by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, with immense farming operations of all sorts all over the state ran by voluntary labor.  "Bishop's Storehouses", as they are called are like small grocery stores, with hundreds of items all grown on "Church Welfare Farms" around North America with their own store-brand packaging and even brand name labels like "Deseret".

Last Saturday, I spent the morning working a huge vineyard here in Fresno, California that is owned by the church where local members from Fresno yearly contribute about 40 tons of boxes of raisins to the church welfare distribution program, with every step of the process performed by volunteer labor.
Here's a site with links to more info about that: www.providentliving.org

But having said that, now I ask the question: what does this have to do with helping us select which state?

Unless you are thinking some extreme extingency scenario whereby the population will need to be self-sufficient in order to help stave-off sinking into political turmoil in some disaster ? ? ?  . . .

I am a big self-sufficiency advocate in preparing for emergencies and such, but even this argument doesn't hold as much strength as finding a state that values freedom among the population, first and foremost.
. . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue --The U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

exitus

• To face freedom, turn 180º from tyranny.
    • Mercados libres y paz: El Cato Institute
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2003, 05:25:45 pm »

States ranked by self-sufficiency in wine production, by number of registered wineries   :)

Idaho =  12

Vermont =  7

Maine = 6  

Montana = 3

Alaska = 3

South Dakota = 2

North Dakota =  2

Delaware = 2

New Hampshire = 2

Wyoming = 1

http://www.freethegrapes.org/
". . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue” -- U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

exitus

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2003, 06:00:35 pm »

Thanks for finding that post, Joe.  I lost it while trying to make a correction!

hmm. Some interesting trivia. . .

Among our candidate states, Idaho has, by far the highest consumption of wine while having the lowest consumption of spirits and beer! . . .

While New Hampshire drinks them all quite well . . .

Alaska is the least self-sufficient in all types of drink . . .

Vermont is most self-sufficient in wine . . .

Delaware is most self-sufficient in spirits . . .

and North Dakota in Beer.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2003, 07:00:04 pm by exitus »
". . .the foundations of our national policy should be laid in private morality. If individuals be not influenced by moral principles, it is in vain to look for public virtue” -- U.S. Senate's reply to George Washington's first inaugural address

vepope

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2003, 01:45:42 pm »

Thanks for finding that post, Joe.  I lost it while trying to make a correction!

hmm. Some interesting trivia. . .

Among our candidate states, Idaho has, by far the highest consumption of wine while having the lowest consumption of spirits and beer! . . .

While New Hampshire drinks them all quite well . . .

Alaska is the least self-sufficient in all types of drink . . .

Vermont is most self-sufficient in wine . . .

Delaware is most self-sufficient in spirits . . .

and North Dakota in Beer.

Some quotes appropriate to this subject:

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

"Wine is the intellectual part of the meal." --Alexander Dumas

"We lived for days on nothing but food and water." --W. C. Fields

"Drunkenness is nothing else but a voluntary madness." --Lucius Annaeus Seneca

What difference does wine/alcohol/spirit production make?  If we were to succeed in getting this to work, and the FED GOV retaliated by cutting off transportation to/from our new home, how will BOOZE help?  I can see how other agricultural matters play in, but spirits just don't look very important to me - and yes, I do occasionally enjoy a drink of whisky.  I also enjoy quality cigars, but I'm not going to say that we need to weight the criteria in favor of states that grow tobacco!  Let's set some meaningful criteria here!!!!

exitus

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2003, 07:13:33 pm »

. . .  Let's set some meaningful criteria here!!!!
I asked the same thing when Joe started this thread, Vepope.  Then Joe wondered at me when I brought up wineries, then produced this last data set. Trivial, perhaps.

But I think it is the result of always asking questions, of having scientific sort of leanings, of desiring and acquiring knowledge for knowledge sake, of living in the mind.  I've learned a lot so far, maybe if we keep it up we may actually find some helpful information that we wouldn't have thought of if we were always forcing ourselves to think of the most serious criteria at all times??

So far, I'm puzzled.  The length of the More and Other Criteria . . thread and all of the data found there, the spreadsheet on the main page of the FSP website, Zxcv's spreadsheet that he has diligently been maintaining already contain mountains of info; but then web-hit stats and the disparagingly small percentage of members who have actually taken the time to consider the numbers, the stats, the raw figures and criteria posed from these forums can be a little discouraging at times.

???
« Last Edit: March 25, 2003, 09:50:19 am by exitus »

Zxcv

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2003, 12:06:07 am »

I don't know about you, exitus, but for me it's not a total waste. I actually get some enjoyment out of doing this stuff. I know, that's weird!  :P

I wish I'd had this information over 30 years ago, when I was just starting out. I sure wouldn't have ended up in Oregon! But it's good we're putting it together. I think people will start to look at states in a different light, if we keep it up.

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2003, 12:51:25 am »

When you consider how few people are actually considering information that should assist them in making a wise choice, and all of the thousands of hours that have gone into making that information available, it just makes you want to take a drink, or, in my case, as one who doesn't drink alcohol, go research drink.

Like Zxcv, I do derive some enjoyment from the research, but I also agree that it is more than a bit disconcerting to realize that such an important and far-reaching decision may rest largely in uninformed hands.  Those state data sheets that we send out with the voting ballots may have some impact though.  Many out there could be waiting for the FSP to inform them as opposed to informing themselves.

exitus

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2003, 10:13:59 am »

Yes, I think you have to find some enjoyment in it all to be doing this research.  I certainly have,  My schedule will soon change and I will have much less time to devote here and I know I will miss it.

One of my favorite things is seeing how all of the facts, statistics and data affect all of the preconceived notions, and perceptions of people as they respond to it (myself included).

A contributor named Larry summed-up the entire feeling we're talking about a few months ago with this profound statement, "uhhh, blowing minds is our mission, eh, if liberty is our love? "

If the above statement doesn't appear properly in your browser, upgrade your browser or install more fonts! --or read this: "uhhh, blowing minds is our mission, eh, if liberty is our love?"

Zxcv

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2003, 10:34:32 am »

Another factor may be at play here too. People typically ignore electioneering until shortly before elections. So just because many may be uninformed now, does not mean they will be that way when they vote.

exitus

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2003, 02:58:51 pm »

ENERGY
Net energy production or consumption by state in Quadrillion BTU's in 1999.
Production includes oil, coal, gas, and  electricity from nuclear, hydro, geothermal, wood, wind, waste, and solar; but does not include distributed generation, e.g., residential solar roofs.
Note that this is actual production and consumption and does not measure potential production from untapped solar, tidal, wind, geothermal, coal, oil, gas, etc.
+ or -        State     Production vs Consumption
+8.006   Wyoming 8.428 vs 0.422
+2.078   Alaska 2.773 vs 0.695
+0.655   Montana 1.067 vs 0.412
+0.553   North Dakota 0.919 vs 0.366
- 0.146   Vermont 0.019 vs 0.165
- 0.210   South Dakota 0.029 vs 0.239
- 0.279   Delaware 0.000 vs 0.279
- 0.296   New Hampshire 0.039 vs 0.335
- 0.470   Idaho 0.048 vs 0.518
- 0.506   Maine 0.023 vs 0.529
Source:
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/states/_statequads.html

Power is certainly one way in which the self-sufficiency of a state has many political ramifications.  Here's a story outlining how Idaho Power Co. is going to implement a free-market solution to summer-time power crunches:
Utility will test control of customerAC units
"Under the program, customers who volunteer would allow the company to install a remote-control thermostat in their homes, which would enable the company to turn a customer´s air conditioner on and off.

(Note: I do use the term free-market solution loosely, acknowledging that it is a monopoly under government control.)

vepope

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2003, 11:00:57 am »

I have a much better idea - total deregulation of all utilities, and inviting anyone with an alternative to share it's merits with our state.  If it really works, it will be encouraged by individuals spending their hard-earned money to support it.

In large part, I'm thinking mostly about a "free electricity" program I went to see a demonstration of about 18 months ago.  This guy had built a huge (30Kw/Hr) electrical generator, turned it on and started it with power from a battery, and then it ran it'self after the battery was disconnected and a 30Kw load was attached - without any additional power source attached to keep it running.  Amren UE would be out of business in months if this were allowed to compete freely, without thug-type suppression - including suppression from State Atty's General who have been lied to by the power companies and the patent office.

craft_6

• Constitutional Libertarian
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2003, 11:23:31 am »

In large part, I'm thinking mostly about a "free electricity" program I went to see a demonstration of about 18 months ago.  This guy had built a huge (30Kw/Hr) electrical generator, turned it on and started it with power from a battery, and then it ran it'self after the battery was disconnected and a 30Kw load was attached - without any additional power source attached to keep it running.  Amren UE would be out of business in months if this were allowed to compete freely, without thug-type suppression - including suppression from State Atty's General who have been lied to by the power companies and the patent office.

It's not thug-type suppression that is keeping the various "free electricity" schemes off the market, it is the fact that they violate established scientific principles (i.e., they don't and can't work).  If there really were a miraculous free energy source, venture capitalists would be falling all over each other trying to fund it.

Here's a website detailing one of the "free electricity" frauds:

http://www.nmsr.org/denislee.htm
Lighting the fires of Liberty, one heart at a time!
http://www.badnarik.org
Badnarik for President, 2004
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything