Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: "paying own way"?  (Read 20336 times)

cigarlover

Re: "paying own way"?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 06:48:24 am »

The big stories in Boston the last couple of days have been the firefighters filling in for their bosses for as little as a day at the 10k a year higher salary, then getting permanently injured and collecting forever at the higher rates. One guy moved a filing cabinet, now sits home forever to collect his disability pay, another guy tripped on a curb, same story. Then theres the stories of people collecting unemployment for 24 and 25 years!!!!! They have made a career out of the system as many do. Its just disgusting to see it and know that all of my tax dollars are going to fund this garbage.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 11:03:58 am »

Its important to remember there are different types of plans. An associated insurance plan where the employee through their efforts pays into, is much different than welfare... though no 'opt out' exists. Other insurances are carried by a company/corporation for the purpose of limiting liability...
As for charity, we do what we can in NH... but mass opposition exists under most circumstances. And the definition of 'need' is far too great.

TEBON

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 12:05:16 pm »

my best friend works for the NH Department of Health and Human Services (welfare) . . . she says that NH is very strict and very thorough in its giving away of money. . . now this doesn't mean that it's not easy to get welfare, but it's far easier in other states like MA.

She tells me things that make me cringe, and she is delighted to send anything she finds worrysome along to their investigation team.  She has become very jaded and much more libertarian thinking since joining there after college. . . she was a liberal. . .but she now sees her money being taken from her check to pay for such services. . .and sees that some of the people receiving welfare make MORE money than she does giving it out.

Unemployment, as far as I understand it, is paid for mostly by surcharges to companies that regularly lay off people.  NH unemployment doesn't hold a candle to other states (like MA again). . . I am on Unemployment as we speak. . . I haven't gotten a check in 5 weeks. . . I think they've forgotten about me. . .but when I do get checks the amount is for $174 a week.  By no means is this a rich living, but I don't have a lot at the time being, and it's fine to get me through.  In MA I would be making in the range of $320-$400 a week.

The difference is that NH stays on you, they want you to find a new job so they don't have to pay you, and while still more lax than I would like. . . they at least check on the jobs you've applied for, and make you go to a meeting.  MA does not, and in experience all you have to do in MA is go into a McDonalds. . . file an application with the manager. . .tell them you're looking for full time, days 9-5, full health insurance and $18-$20 an hour. . . obviously they're not going to hire you. . .and you've filled in one of the three spots you need to "apply for"

I want Employment Security to make us work. . .I mean, what else are we going to do besides sit around and hope to be called back soon. . . . the job market sucks but at least I try and find new work everyday.

I like the fact that there are more and more food pantries coming about, donations of food from companies and good natured citizens.  My family in our times of need didn't turn to welfare, but to the Pettingill House in Salisbury. . . and in turn, now that my family has gotten back on its feet and prospered. . . give a check to them every month for about $50. 

That's how it should be in my opinion.  . . charity, not force.

sandm000

• Brian
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 02:27:19 pm »

Can I put in $0.04?

First how can you pay your own way, when you have 4 kids and can't pay for at least 1 of them to eat?  Why did you go and have that kid?  And don't say you don't believe in abortion or contraception, because nobody made you have sex in the first place.  If funds were shaky with 3 kids you shouldn't have had the fourth.

Also why the hell would you put your baby on formula, when breastmilk has been proven to be so much better? It also doesn't cost $30/can.  (Admittedly if you buy a good pump and accouterments it'll set you back $100, but that's what 2 weeks of formula) and you can freeze it and store it for when you need it.

I think that if you are on "public" assistance you have to hear these things.  I'm paying for your kids to live.  You're stealing from my kids to feed yours.  Remember that.

All that said.  Hard times do come up, I've given to two food pantries here in NH, and given food donations for the Hannaford's Tons of Turkey events.  Some people will not be able to deal in the free market.  Some of us do not want to lose our humanity, and realize that compassion is necessary.  We resent being forced to help by the government, because it loses its meaning when you're forced to do it.

Plus I don't have a lot of extra time to help out right now, what with having a job, raising two kids, and apparently taking care of your 4.
A government is not legitimate merely because it exists. 
-Jeane J. Kirkpatrick

The government's War on Poverty has transformed poverty from a short-term misfortune into a career choice.-Harry Browne

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes non-work.-Milton Friedman

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 11:28:18 pm »

The State of California is currently paying me $450/week while I'm off the ship.  Technically, I'm complying with every rule the unemployment office has set, so I qualify.  I just fill out a form every two weeks, and I get paid.

Washington state was worse.  They now pay up to $575 a week, and you can pull in a $40 a day stipend for one of their "job training" programs, where you learn skills you might one day use.  Don't want to do job training?  You can collect unemployment benefits from anywhere--Thailand, Costa Rica, Belize--and Washington continues paying out.  Just go online and fill out that form each week.

CA disability pays even more--$892 a week--and almost any disability will work.  I have a friend who claims "emotional disability." This allows him to park in disabled parking spots, take his "service dog" into restaurants (because disability rules trump health codes), and the manager is not even allowed to ask about the dog, which is viewed as harassment.  Of course, many continue making money under the table, just being careful not to get caught.

Most people I've asked have lost faith in governmental "safety net" programs, which always seem to disqualify you when you're in need, and only end up paying you to turn down legitemate work.  Lots of people work this safety net while hustling.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

TEBON

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2008, 07:33:28 am »

the service dogs I've had a problem with.  When I worked at a hotel the guy brought his dog all over the fucking hotel. . . going up to the 4th floor for the 'view'  (he was blind) . . his room was on the first floor, far away from anyone's.

the next day he checked out and someone checked into his room that was allergic to dogs.  Since we were already overbooked there was no place to put him.  The housekeepers cleaned the crap out of that room and it was still all dog smell.  Besides the fact that the dog kept barking all night.

find out later on, that the guy was not blind, the dog was not a medical dog. . . it had the vest. . . but the guy made it. . . it had a card (badge) but the guy made it on his computer.  Just caused a whole bunch of shit because he couldn't leave the dog in the doggy area of our hotel.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2008, 11:49:13 am »

That's almost as bad as criminals putting on cop's uniforms and robbing people.  That's been a common practice for a while, and even some cops have been fooled by this one.

Unconvicted criminals obtain law degrees, run for office, even become doctors.  They become ingratiated with our political good ol' boy network, where public scrutiny is actually much, much lower.  Child molesters, rapists, drug addicts, and even satanists have found refuge in places of authority, where they are considered beyond reproach.  The mentality never changes--they just haven't been caught yet.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2008, 02:07:33 pm »

That's almost as bad as criminals putting on cop's uniforms and robbing people.  That's been a common practice for a while, and even some cops have been fooled by this one.

Unconvicted criminals obtain law degrees, run for office, even become doctors.  They become ingratiated with our political good ol' boy network, where public scrutiny is actually much, much lower.  Child molesters, rapists, drug addicts, and even satanists have found refuge in places of authority, where they are considered beyond reproach.  The mentality never changes--they just haven't been caught yet.

Your quote seems to imply that Satanists and drug addicts are on par with child molesters and rapists? A Satanist is exercising their right to freedom of religion. How someone worships or what they put in their body is irrelevant and should not be compared to violent assaults.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2008, 07:48:14 pm »

I don't think that John Q. Public would vote for either a coke addict or a Satanist, especially if you read some of the stuff in John W. DeKamp's Franklin Coverup: Child Abuse, Satanism, and Murder in Nebraska.

What I find surprising is that even many libertarians refuse to believe that people in government would be involved in child and drug trafficking, torture, savings and loan scams, and human sacrafice.  Strangely, nearly everyone accepts that this kind of thing goes on, but none of those satanists and child rapists could be involved with public officials.  This widespread attitude of denial attracts some of the worst criminals to the political process and to positions of authority.

Hell, half the libertarians I've talked to insist that our public officials had NO IDEA that al-Queda was planning to attack us on 9/11, despite the fact that 14 governments warned us, and the FBI alone had received 147 separate warnings ahead of time.  How could they have known?!

Bottom line, lots of unconvicted criminals going into politics, getting little or no real time behind bars.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2008, 10:37:55 pm »

The State of California is currently paying me $450/week while I'm off the ship.  Technically, I'm complying with every rule the unemployment office has set, so I qualify.  I just fill out a form every two weeks, and I get paid.
couldn't you just get on another ship?
CA pays you even though you don't live in CA?

Crocuta

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2008, 11:10:04 pm »

Lots of people work this safety net while hustling.

Apparently.

Are you actually proud that you're pulling this off?

Cheng

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2008, 06:22:35 am »

Hi all,
I'm new here but have been looking into the FSP for about 4 weeks now and have been thinkning of moving to NH even before I came across the FSP. This group of people just seals the deal for me. I happen to be in the same profession as maxx and want to let you know that he is not "getting away" with anything. When I first stated working 15 years ago I used to work 6 months on and six off. Who in thier right mind is going to want to go right back out to work after 6 months of isolation? This isn't your typical 9-5 job where you get to go home every night. When you report to a ship you are there 24/7 pretty much available for whatever goes down during your regular work hours and after. Basically most mariners have reliefs so that when you are off your counterpart is on and if you decide to go work for some other company then you will loose your sinority and will have to sail in a lower position. You collect unemployment from the state the company works out of not the state you live in. They put the money into the system so that we can collect something while we are unemployed since that is what you are as soon as you sign off articles.

TEBON

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2008, 11:15:39 am »

yeah I found that out when I worked for a place in Seabrook, NH. . .but lived over the border in Salisbury, MA. . . so that's why I get $177 a week (when I do get checks) and my friends in MA get over $300 lol

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2008, 01:08:14 pm »

Sounds to me like Maxx is getting unemployment insurance benefits.  Here in CA we're forced to buy this insurance through the government.  I see no issue with getting back the money you're forced to pay into the system.

I, for example, took state and federal grants to help pay my way through college.  All said and done I've taken less than half out compared to what I put in.  I figure I owe a little for the roadways and police/fire services I've used over the years.

Now, if someone is being a leeching more out of the system than they put in, then I would say they may as well be stealing the money right out of my pocket.
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2008, 01:23:21 pm »

My laptop crashed last night while trying to respond, but basically, the other guys said what I had said.  I've been trying to get my union to trade unemployment benefits for a higher vacation check.  That is, to replace 18 for 30 supplemental (plus unenjoyment) with a simple 30 for 30 vacation.  That way, we could continue to work standby jobs on the side.  This is a serious concern in the maritime industry, and most nonunion outfits now just pay the full vacation amount to avoid high unemployment compensation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up