Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Marijuana tolerance & culture in NH  (Read 68722 times)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Re: Marijuana tolerance & culture in NH
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2008, 01:18:15 pm »

I was physically awake at 7 this manana.  You saw me.

Of course, it was Otis that woke me, but hey.  Try running some time, fatty.
 ;D >:D
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2008, 02:36:30 pm »

I read a blurb that a study in the UK has just come out saying that marijuana related ER visits were way up since they reduced penalties for possession. It said they would consider raising the penalties again.

I am not good enough at searches to have found anymore about it. Really curious, though.

Cathleen

"Marijuana Related" typically means people that were in the ER for whatever reason and mentioned to the staff that they had smoked marijuana recently.

The drug warriors try to make it sound like people actually go to the ER because of marijuana use, which is absurd.
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

JustRandy

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2008, 03:17:38 am »

The real hazard with smoking marijuana is all the damage done to the lungs.  More potent marijuana would require less to be smoked, reducing risks of lung damage, cancer, etc.

Pot's Active Ingredient Halts Lung Cancer Growth, Study Says  :o
http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7241

If you can't trust Harvard... who can you trust?  ;D

error

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • U.S. Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2008, 10:08:11 am »

No joke... drivers high on marijuana are statistically as good as or better than sober drivers.

I wouldn't recommend smoking while driving, or driving the first time one consumes marijuana, but experienced consumers have no problem. 

This may be, but I think the point is that most people aren't ready to hear that.

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2008, 12:25:49 am »

"Marijuana Related" typically means people that were in the ER for whatever reason and mentioned to the staff that they had smoked marijuana recently.

"In 2004, about 11 percent of all drug-related emergency department (ED) visits in the DAWN statistics (see Chapter 2) involved marijuana, making it the second highest category behind cocaine.  In only a small percentage of these cases, however, was marijuana the sole drug present in the patient's system at the time."
--Levinthal, Charles.  Drugs, Behavior, & Modern Society. 5th Ed. Pearson: Boston, 2008. 147.

The drug warriors try to make it sound like people actually go to the ER because of marijuana use, which is absurd.

How absurd?  I'm glad you asked:

The estimated 'lethal dose' of THC would require ingesting 20,000 to 40,000 times the 'effective dose.'  So, if

Of course, if you smoke 60 pounds in one hour, you've probably died of asphyxiation, not overdose.  My guess is that in the few cases where marijuana was the only drug present, the patient was probably suffering from paranoia or were 'poisoned'.

(I remember a local story of a woman who delivered a big batch of 'special brownies' to the local fire department.  All the firefighters reported to the ER when they realized they were stoned.  I can't recall what the doctor prescribed, but I think the home remedy is half a bag of Cheeto's and a Coke... just in case any of you ever get 'poisoned'...)
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

JustRandy

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2008, 04:16:13 am »

I can see if you've never done any MJ and then eat a brownie, you'd probably freak out and think you were gonna die.  Hell, I know guys now that used to flush a whole 1/4 bag after toking one joint of it.  Their heart would start racing and they would think they were dying.  They'd pray to God and agree that if they flush it, God would let them live another day.  ::)  And these were guys who have been toking for yrs.  I used to tell em, "you dumbass, don't flush $25-$50 down the shitter,,, give it to me!"  The one guy stopped smoking for almost 10 yrs before just recently starting back.  During that 10yrs, the only way he'd smoke it is if he was drinking first.  I guess drinking made him cocky enough to think he could handle it.  The other guy didn't stop smoking until he stopped taking his klonopin that he'd been on for 15yrs,,, and that move landed him in the looney bin at least 4 times that I know of.  IMO, klonopin should be illegal to manufacture, sell, posses, or even think about, lol.  >:D  JK

A problem with the MJ culture is guys think they need a whole hog-legger all the time.  Everybody likes to boast, "If you pass it to me, I'm gonna hit it.  Nobody can out-smoke me!".  Like Gallagher used to say in the 80's, "don't smoke dope when you're high, you don't get any higher, just lower on dope."  And it just stands to reason, you can over do anything.  I've heard of a marathon runner in Chicago (I think) dying from an overdose of water.  Hell, I used to roof houses and had a guy work for me and he drank 2 gallons of water in an afternoon... a hot afternoon!  He went to the ER that night.  Dumped his Harley in the driveway and passed out.  Dr told him no to drink so much water, to use gatoraid instead.

When we do a drug, we have to ask ourselves, "what is the goal here?".  And once the goal is accomplished, STOP!  LOL.  Like alcoholism... I have an alcoholic friend who used to tell me, "One's too many and 12 is not enough".  Because, once he drinks the one, he loses sight of everything and drinks until he passes out.  When we get a headache, do we keep taking pills even after headache is gone... until we pass out or die?  Everything in moderation, including moderation.

There!  Drug education made simple.  ;D

susan28

• susan28.com
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2008, 03:33:05 pm »

I am very careful not to drink a lot when I go out

and i was always careful  not to smoke alot when i went out..

nowadays i don't smoke, but mostly just because i'm not curently running in the circles where it is smoked (i'm living with an elderly parent in a boring town that gives me no reason to go out, and i've just kinda grown apart from it), but when i did, it was a daily habit somewhat along the lines of drinking coffee, and about the same frequency/intensity. maybe 5 or 6 puffs over an 18-hour period. wrote the teleccommunications infrastructure for a major multinational corporation back in the 80's while using it daily - incuding on lunch hour - like i said it was more or less a coffee substitute for me - so it coiuldn't have impaired me *that* much. never got any complaints, but did get raises. they voted with their dollar and the verdict was "pot doesn't affect her work", though they didn't know they were casting a pro-weed vote at the time.. .actually they likely *did*, because i failed the drug test on the pre-employment physical, and about a week later they came to my office and asked me to re-take it :) an error, obviously.. as in it would be an error to place politics before proven performance..

to Ian's comment about not driving after the first try, before you know how it will hit you, i would add that if it's been awhile since you last smoked, the first time back will tend to throw you for a loop, and thereafter will just give you a little mood lift, about the same as the morning Joe, if done in moderation. this happens to me on the rare occasion now where an old friend drops by, and more often than not i decline because i'm not up for the bounce.

you judge it the same way you'd judge drinking - or, as ny2nh mentioned, being tired or otherwise not in condition to drive - and don't do it if you feel your motor skills or attention span is off.

the tapering off of the intense effect if you smoke frequently  is similar to how some people get a little loopy when they first go on some meds, like antidepressants - a side-effect more than the actual intended effect - and goes away once tolerance is built, leaving only the therapeutic effect which is no threat to coordination, in my experience, if you don't overdo it. even coffee can spin you if you overdo it.

all that said, though, it probably is better from a propaganda standpoint to downplay the fact that you can drive on it, because like maxx said, people don't believe that's true, and us saying so won't change that, nor will even incontrovertible evidence, anymore than fossils can dissuade Creationists. the very nature of prejudice is that it's irrational, and only personal experience will dispel it.

you know what made me ok with trying pot? i was 12 and had just moved to florida, where *everyone* smoked, from slackers to honour students. thanks to Prohibition-enabled accessibility to minors (thanks Prohibitionists!) i literally didn't know a single kid in my exclusive Palm Beach private school that didn't smoke, nor any public school friends that didn't. dunno how it is now but this was the 70's..

so oneday i'm with some friends and they hid it from me because i didn't smoke and they didn't know how i'd react. but i smell it and ask them if that was it, and they said yes, but i didn't have to if i didn't want to, no big deal. Myth #1 (users are hell-bent on recruiting people) busted. from then on they didn't hide it, just passed it by me, and i realised they weren't freaking out or growing another head, and also realised they'd been smoking all along and i never knew. Myth #2 (pot makes you freak out / lose control) busted. and as it so happened, they surfed and skateboarded alot (as did i), and smoked while doing it, and were *really* amazing at it. Myth #3 (pot ruins your coordination) busted. so oneday i asked to try it. very mild, and i skated just fine. kinda mellow. yes, this was a Good Thing(tm). and also a powerful motivation to start working when i turned 15, so i could stop mooching off the older siblings of friends. no couch-magnets for me - there were dollars to earn and buds to smoke!

the last Myth exposed in all of this was the most dangerous myth of all: the Government doesn't lie to support a malicious, totalitarian, bigotted, partisan agenda. Myth #4: BUSTED.

and hence my jounrey to Libertarianism began, at the ripe old age of 12... thanks *again* Prohibitionists!  it'd likely have taken me years longer to wake up without you..
in love, there is always one who kisses and one who offers the cheek..

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2008, 06:01:26 pm »

I don't know if it's been posted anywhere on the Forum yet...
The NH House of Representatives just voted to DECRIMINALIZE "personal-use" quantities of marijuana!

This is a major development -- all of the political pundits in NH were totally shocked. Porcupines were the movers and shakers in making it happen.
http://nhcommonsense.org

susan28

• susan28.com
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2008, 06:04:08 pm »

wow and by a HUGE margin!!  GO PORCS!!

good job, people!!

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2008, 06:50:17 pm »

good job, people!!

It’s not over yet—we still need to ram it through the Senate, deal with a veto threat by Lynch the Governor, and contend with politicians bullying other politicians on the bill.

Why don’t you move up here real soon and help out? ;D

susan28

• susan28.com
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2008, 09:24:50 pm »

got about a year's worth of loose ends to tie up before i can come up full-time but am gonna make every effort to make it to the PorcFest and/or PorcuBurn this summer. i'm crashing at your place right?   :D

pinkmandy

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2008, 11:01:41 pm »

good job, people!!

It’s not over yet—we still need to ram it through the Senate, deal with a veto threat by Lynch the Governor, and contend with politicians bullying other politicians on the bill.

We'll be up in 3 weeks. Is that soon enough? This is a cause near and dear to my heart and my husband's. We'd be happy to help...

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2008, 11:40:07 pm »

got about a year's worth of loose ends to tie up before i can come up full-time but am gonna make every effort to make it to the PorcFest and/or PorcuBurn this summer. i'm crashing at your place right?   :D

If you want to be 40–50 miles away from it. ;)

If you’re going to PorcFest, you’ll probably want to stay in a hotel closer than Manchester is, or camp there. I don’t remember the details for Burning Porcupine, but I think it’s out in Grafton, which is farther away. There’s an entire board on this forum for finding lodging, &c., for PorcFest.

And as to finding places to stay, in general, check out porcmanor.com.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2008, 11:45:04 pm »

good job, people!!

We'll be up in 3 weeks. Is that soon enough? This is a cause near and dear to my heart and my husband's. We'd be happy to help...

Nice! Unfortunately, I don’t know how soon the bills passed through the House get introduced into the Senate, so it could all be done by then. You can follow its status here, and you should contact NH Common Sense, the actual activist organization leading this effort, in order to see how you can help out.

susan28

• susan28.com
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2008, 08:51:27 am »

If you want to be 40–50 miles away from it. ;)

If you’re going to PorcFest, you’ll probably want to stay in a hotel closer than Manchester is, or camp there. I don’t remember the details for Burning Porcupine, but I think it’s out in Grafton, which is farther away. There’s an entire board on this forum for finding lodging, &c., for PorcFest.

And as to finding places to stay, in general, check out porcmanor.com.

thanks for the geo-synapsis, J'raxis, bookmarks set!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 12   Go Up