Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Marijuana tolerance & culture in NH  (Read 68751 times)

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
Re: Marijuana tolerance & culture in NH
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 03:12:06 am »

Responsible.... just another euphemism for big government telling us what's good for us or worse yet, self-righteous moralists using the government to force their ideas of responsibility on us. Personally, I don't think eating at McDonald's is very responsible, you might have a heart attack while driving and kill me.

The sick thing is that these same people are driving around hopped up on scripts but that's ok cause the gubment signed off on it. Valium, Vicodin, Perkodan, Perkisette, Oxycontin, Adderoll, Wellbutrin, Ritalin, Prozac and on and on. Bunch of bullshit if you ask me. Life is risk. You manage your own and I'll manage mine. Think the roads are too dangerous? Stay off them, take a defensive driving course, buy a safer car and more insurance. Just leave me alone already.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

ny2nh

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 12:32:16 pm »

Actually, I think responsible is just that....responsible. I am very careful not to drink a lot when I go out - because it would be irresponsible to drive if I had too much to drink. I would not want to risk other people's lives and property because of my irresponsibilty and I would hope that they would have the same respect for ma and my property.

Smoking pot and then driving, IMO, is also irresponsible. So is driving when you can barely stay awake. The impairments might be different - but they are still impairments.

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 01:18:18 pm »

Actually, I think responsible is just that....responsible. I am very careful not to drink a lot when I go out - because it would be irresponsible to drive if I had too much to drink. I would not want to risk other people's lives and property because of my irresponsibilty and I would hope that they would have the same respect for ma and my property.

Smoking pot and then driving, IMO, is also irresponsible. So is driving when you can barely stay awake. The impairments might be different - but they are still impairments.

Have you ever smoked pot?
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 05:32:15 pm »

This is all true. My earlier point was that “driving while ________” shouldn’t be illegal. Only if actual harm results, should ________ come into consideration when determining restitution or meting out punishment. It’s up to each individual to be responsible for his own actions: In the same way that the government shouldn’t be responsible for taking care of me by giving me your money, they shouldn’t take care of me by telling you when you can and cannot drive.

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2008, 02:18:46 pm »

Are you careful not to eat at McDonalds? I didn't think so. Since we don't agree on what is responsible, I of course would object to any attempt to force me to abide by what you happen to consider responsible. I see that you ignored all of the script impairments. How many of these do you take? Do you talk on the phone while driving? None of my business? It's also none of your business whether I smoke pot and drive.

To clarify, if you are suggesting that individuals assess the risks involved with certain behaviors and take responsibility for their actions and the effects of those actions, we agree. If you are suggesting that government should in any way be involved in determining what behaviors are responsible and forcing people to live up that code (not to mention robbing me blind in order to enforce it) than  we disagree.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

lloydbob1

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2008, 06:15:44 pm »

You're rather petite.  It is probably irresponsible for you to drink and drive at all 

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2008, 08:21:28 pm »

By responsible I mean responsible.  I believe in responsible gun ownership, personal responsibility for one's actions, and responsible driving.  The pot smoking community has yet to develop a consensus on responsible use, or to publicly promote this idea.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

lloydbob1

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2008, 08:27:00 am »

Neither has the booze drinking community, although there is a lot of information about how much booze an individual can drink per hour per pound of weight.  Because it is illegal no research has been done, nor, information published  for Pot.
If half the population suddenly started smoking Pot, they would never be able to keep up, much less catch up to the damage done by booze.  Some of you are commenting about a subject you know nothing about.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2008, 08:56:06 am »

Some of you are commenting about a subject you know nothing about.
This is the FSP board Lloyd.. what do you expect?

lloydbob1

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2008, 10:03:07 am »

Well...............Its not the O list ;D

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2008, 01:21:16 pm »

Neither has the booze drinking community, although there is a lot of information about how much booze an individual can drink per hour per pound of weight.  Because it is illegal no research has been done, nor, information published  for Pot.
If half the population suddenly started smoking Pot, they would never be able to keep up, much less catch up to the damage done by booze.  Some of you are commenting about a subject you know nothing about.

The main reason there is little data on marijuana intoxication is due to the fact that THC concentration varies so greatly depending on the plant, growing conditions, 'manufacturing' methods, etc: usually between 5%-15%.  Alcohol content is very easy to determine, so it's easy to predict the effects on a person.

Now, if pot were legal we might see more consistency in THC concentrations.  Ideally, society would prefer the most potent form available.  The real hazard with smoking marijuana is all the damage done to the lungs.  More potent marijuana would require less to be smoked, reducing risks of lung damage, cancer, etc.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:29:04 pm by CA_Libertarian »
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2008, 04:09:17 pm »

The strange thing aboot decriminalization is that the general public actually seems to want it, but so many of our state reps just laugh it off.  I recently testified on the gas tax/ toll increase bill and suggested that decriminalizing marijuana would save money and increase excise tax revenue, alleviating the need for increased tax rates.  Surprisingly, this proposition seemed to be taken fairly seriously by state reps and others in the room.

I also suggested letting the bars stay open until 3am, as Mass does, and got only one muffled laugh.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2008, 06:39:29 pm »

I read a blurb that a study in the UK has just come out saying that marijuana related ER visits were way up since they reduced penalties for possession. It said they would consider raising the penalties again.

I am not good enough at searches to have found anymore about it. Really curious, though.

Cathleen

Ron Helwig

• FSP Participant
    • Shire Silver
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2008, 08:51:17 am »

I also suggested letting the bars stay open until 3am, as Mass does, and got only one muffled laugh.

Probably because this is a state for people who "do stuff", not all night partyers.

Quite a lot of the workforce appears to be up by 7 a.m. - you should try it sometime  ;)
Are you a Next 1000 liberty activist?

Rebuild the precious metal economy with Shire Silver

freedomroad

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2008, 01:08:57 pm »

Smoking pot and then driving, IMO, is also irresponsible.

Why?  Potheads seem to drive better than average.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Up