Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Marijuana tolerance & culture in NH  (Read 68752 times)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Re: Marijuana tolerance & culture in NH
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 12:45:53 pm »

Gun rights activists have gained a lot of ground, and have even expanded conceal and carry rights in many states by promoting a culture of responsible gun ownership.  For those of us promoting decriminalization of marijuanara, there is also some benefit to be had by promoting a culture of responsible marijuana use.  That resonates with people who are really concerned with the breakdown of values and personal responsibility in our society.

Repsonsible gun ownership is just part of the gun culture.  Responsible marijuana use, such as for medicinal or occasional recreational use, may be acceptable to most if the vast majority of pot smokers are viewed as exercising careful discretion.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

ny2nh

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 03:37:10 pm »

No joke... drivers high on marijuana are statistically as good as or better than sober drivers.

I wouldn't recommend smoking while driving, or driving the first time one consumes marijuana, but experienced consumers have no problem. 

I find that hard to believe.

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 03:59:12 pm »

No joke... drivers high on marijuana are statistically as good as or better than sober drivers.

I wouldn't recommend smoking while driving, or driving the first time one consumes marijuana, but experienced consumers have no problem. 

I don't have the studies to cite for you here but I know that one was done by the Australian Department Of Transportation and has since been duplicated.  I believe I first read about it in the book "Marijuana Myths, Marijuana Facts".

Think about it like this:  Marijuana users, while one could argue that they are "impaired" by being high, do not lose motor function.  Marijuana users are also well aware of their level of impairment and can compensate by being extra cautious.  Contrast this to the drunk who believes he's "fine to drive"...
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

JosephCHart

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 04:03:05 pm »

Nah man, its true.  I drive a whole lot better while high on pot.

lloydbob1

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 05:00:20 pm »

Much better than driving Drunk.  I'd prefer to drive 'tripping' than drunk.

ny2nh

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 05:48:57 pm »

I don't have the studies to cite for you here but I know that one was done by the Australian Department Of Transportation and has since been duplicated.  I believe I first read about it in the book "Marijuana Myths, Marijuana Facts".

Think about it like this:  Marijuana users, while one could argue that they are "impaired" by being high, do not lose motor function.  Marijuana users are also well aware of their level of impairment and can compensate by being extra cautious.  Contrast this to the drunk who believes he's "fine to drive"...

Still not buying it. I could argue that after a couple of beers I am very aware of my level of impairment and can compensate by being extra cautious.....but the key word in both the marijuana user and the drinker is that there is an impairment. Drinking might be worse, but they both are still impairments. And I've heard this from more than one marijuana user.....

lloydbob1

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 06:18:09 pm »

All kinds of variables here. Pot gives some people a buzz and can put others into a stupor....Uh oh..........Flashback..........................................

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 07:03:13 pm »

Still not buying it. I could argue that after a couple of beers I am very aware of my level of impairment and can compensate by being extra cautious.....

Notice, that we weren't talking about driving after a couple of beers, but driving drunk.  There is no amount of compensation possible for inebriation.  I could smoke all night and drive with no problem.

but the key word in both the marijuana user and the drinker is that there is an impairment. Drinking might be worse, but they both are still impairments. And I've heard this from more than one marijuana user.....

I use pot, and have driven while high more times than I can count.  I've only had one ticket (speeding), and I was sober.

150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 11:49:21 pm »

Do you have a source for this?  I have a textbook that says otherwise.  I'm curious to see the other side's evidence (big shock it isn't presented in the textbook).  If you provide the info I'll forward it to the professor and ask him to discuss it in his class in the future.
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

lloydbob1

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 12:10:28 am »

All I have is about 40 years of experience minus a 5 year hiatus

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2008, 12:33:52 am »

Promoting a culture of responsible marijuana use.  If we are making the case for decriminalization, some are looking for an alternative, to which we ought to offer discretion, reason, and responsible use.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 09:47:17 am »

See, I am in Western Washington right now, and marijuana is definitely tolerate, I know an awful lot of people who smoke driving a lot and it has never caused a problem, it's hard to see what someones doing in their car (operating a pipe while driving is definitely more hazardous than driving stoned)

The chance of convincing the legislature to pass any sort of decrim law when people are out there boasting about driving stoned is slim. If you want to be able to make society more tolerant of marijuana use, show them that you are a responsible user.

There very well may be a lot of people using marijuana in this state - but for the most part you won;t know who they are because they aren't making a big deal out of it. Walk around looking and acting like a pothead - and that's exactly what people will label you - a pothead. Good luck getting legislators - even liberty-minded ones - to pay attention to the epitome of a pothead.

This is the important part here. It doesn’t matter if high drivers actually perform on par with sober drivers, or even better, it’s the perception that matters: Legislators and the general public consider driving high to be extremely dangerous and irresponsible, and thus saying you’re doing so is not going to help with decrim efforts—only hurt them.

I read this and thought you're joking, right? So - are you OK with people driving drunk as well?

Actually, yes: If no harm was committed, it shouldn’t be illegal. Drunk driving should at most be an enhancement penalty, e.g., if one is sober, it’s a vehicular homicide, but if one is drunk at the time, it’s murder, &c..

ny2nh

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 05:26:02 pm »

Actually, yes: If no harm was committed, it shouldn’t be illegal. Drunk driving should at most be an enhancement penalty, e.g., if one is sober, it’s a vehicular homicide, but if one is drunk at the time, it’s murder, &c..

Unfortunately, the person killed by a drunk driver might not see it the same way.

lloydbob1

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 05:39:57 pm »

Being illegal didn't help him any

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 12:11:03 am »

When I was 13 one of my close friends was killed by a sober driver.  The guy had dropped his cigarette on the floor of his car, where he happened to have a gas can, so he bent down to pick it up.

Do you think this would justify criminalization of "smoking and driving?"  I don't.
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 12   Go Up