Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Marijuana tolerance & culture in NH  (Read 68753 times)

Fragilityh14

Marijuana tolerance & culture in NH
« on: April 01, 2007, 12:13:45 pm »

I put this in a seperate thread, because I have questions specifically about if/how marijuana laws are enforced, how tolerant people are, and etc about the scene in NH.

See, I am in Western Washington right now, and marijuana is definately tolerate, I know an awful lot of people who smoke driving a lot and it has never caused a problem, it's hard to see what someones doing in their car (operating a pipe while driving is definately more hazardous than driving stoned)

In Seattle marijuana definately is practically legal, the punishment for being caught with it is having to dump out your bag and rub it into the ground with your feet (and it's seattle so you know it's muddy)

but I was also in jail for two monthes (long story- not mj related but war on drugs/police state related) and literally didnt meet anyone who was there for a marijuana charge, except someone who had it next to manufacturing meth, and I even asked people if they talked to anyone who was in for just like 24-48 hours in the incoming tank and people told me no.

But, I guess possession charges etc would go to city jails, but I'm of the impression that people here are simply generally not prosecuted for marijuana offenses (outside of if you have to pay a fine and do some bullshit)

and in the same vein: is some of New Hampshire part of a High Intensity Drug Trafficking area? (being so close to MA), I mean I am in one now because I'm between Portland and Seattle (I think they are one HIDTA). Are the police using advanced techniques to net growers, or when you read about it in the paper is it because they were doing something obvious and a neighbor called it in?

as a point of interest, is there very much locally grown bud or are you getting a lot of chemically bullshit in from BC? Does anyone know what you're paying for an 8th or an ounce there of medical grade?

Is there a good variety of headshops, hydroponics stores, etc? Can you even buy good pieces? In some states they really dont tolerate headshops so you can't get a good bong (once again, I'm on the west coast so THAT isnt a problem)

Is there a city which is the center of stoner culture in NH?

I'm a medical marijuana patient, and was thinking about it and would be hoping to move maybe....I dont know spring of '09...I'm definately hoping that the MM bill will have passed by then, the police will actually be leaving patients alone, and that I will be in contact with another MM patient porcupine

Is anyone doing any lowest priority law enforcement campaigns, etc? I imagine in places like Keene etc with a lot of students and free staters initiatives would pass easily? (city initiatives pass pretty easily anyhow)

SethA

• FSP Participant
Re: Marijuana tolerance & culture in NH
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 05:22:41 pm »

Can't answer all of your questions, but generally NH (and most states) are not as tolerant as the West Coast. Sine the MM bill has not passed in NH it is too early to say exactly what form it will take and how it would be enforced. As you are probably aware, in Calif. they have a very tolerant MM law but it hasn't stopped the Feds from staging raids. In NH this winter there was a lot of publicity about suburban houses being used by organized growers. These were rented and turned into full hot houses. There were a number shut down and arrests made. Trying search the Manchester Union Leader website for details. Don't know if there is a center for stoner culture. Of course you have college towns, Durham (UNH) and Hanover (Dartmouth) are the largest, but I wouldn't describe them that way. There's no Berkeley in NH.

Fragilityh14

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 12:08:24 am »

I've seen an image of

"I (pot leaf)
N.H."

(I've seen shirts like that for Oregon which is way different)...

but that could just be because people everywhere love weed, not because of anything about NH.

actually that image was on the Free State Project facebook group's photo album...

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 06:07:17 am »

a lot of kids seem to smoke the stuff in my town .... I don't know how much the government thugs bother them.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

error

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • U.S. Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 07:47:15 am »

I would have guessed Keene would contain the closest thing you're likely to find to "stoner culture."

Ian moved there, after all! ;D

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 11:02:01 am »

Green Keene?   >:D

NH is not the best of states as far as mj laws are concerned, but there are a lot of consumers here!  Come join us and help change things!

150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

FTL_Ian

• Golden Porcupine
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 11:23:35 am »

as a point of interest, is there very much locally grown bud or are you getting a lot of chemically bullshit in from BC? Does anyone know what you're paying for an 8th or an ounce there of medical grade?

The black market is cheaper here than in Sarasota, FL.  Quality varies, though as always there are some sources that are more reliable than others.

Is there a good variety of headshops, hydroponics stores, etc? Can you even buy good pieces? In some states they really dont tolerate headshops so you can't get a good bong (once again, I'm on the west coast so THAT isnt a problem)

There's a great headshop called Phat Stuff in Winchester, which is just outside Keene.

Is anyone doing any lowest priority law enforcement campaigns, etc? I imagine in places like Keene etc with a lot of students and free staters initiatives would pass easily? (city initiatives pass pretty easily anyhow)

In Keene we're running multiple liberty-oriented candidates for city council this year.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 01:31:12 am »

In Seattle marijuana definately is practically legal, the punishment for being caught with it is having to dump out your bag and rub it into the ground with your feet (and it's seattle so you know it's muddy)

So, the punishment for possession is... replanting?  ;D 8)

lloydbob1

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 06:47:32 am »

;D

citizen_142002

• Friend of the FSP
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 02:36:02 pm »

The laws are stiffer than a lot of states. The number of users is I believe one of the highest in the nation. It's not like you'll have trouble getting pot or finding someone to smoke it with, but this is a state where you can go to jail for possesion. Possesion of less than one ounce is a misdemeanor. You very likely would just get a fine, community service, or probation/suspended sentence.
I would say that most people 35 or younger in the state support decrim, or at least reducing the sentences for possesion. I'm unclear as to the status of the bill, but one passed the house this year to allow the cultivation of hemp. If it can clear the senate, then it could be a very good sign of things to come. Within the next 5 years I would expect some kind of legislation to pass which would decrim possesion or make it less serious an offense.

Enlil

• my photo
    • My Humble Blog.
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 05:43:15 pm »

Show me how marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol? I really almost don't get it. I think the only reason that a revolution didn't occur during the 60's is because of all of the dope... You would think that they would actually be encouraging its use. "Feel stressed, smoke some dope." "Hate your government, smoke some dope and think about it." Revolutionaries would be too busy getting stuck to their beanbag chairs and staring at their lava lamps to go after the government. Actually, I think the war on drugs is pushing us towards revolution. I know that there are some areas of Pittsburgh that are starting to look down right militant, and a lot of the people I talk to got their start being ousted by the criminally injustice system over minor drug charges. Oh well, the more violent revolutionaries there are, the less likely the government will get the Orwellian collar around all of our necks.
------ ------ ------
People will not know me for the thoughts that fill my head, but only for my actions that fulfill this world.

http://reasonvsexperience.blogspot.com/

JosephCHart

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 11:33:10 pm »

Ok so I pretty much have the same questions as Fragilityh14 ,

Im seriously thinking about moving but I would like these factors aswell.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 03:55:26 am »

I've read some of the "decriminalization" laws, and they're not good, nor are they likely to succeed.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

ny2nh

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 08:26:03 am »

See, I am in Western Washington right now, and marijuana is definitely tolerate, I know an awful lot of people who smoke driving a lot and it has never caused a problem, it's hard to see what someones doing in their car (operating a pipe while driving is definitely more hazardous than driving stoned)

I read this and thought you're joking, right? So - are you OK with people driving drunk as well?

The chance of convincing the legislature to pass any sort of decrim law when people are out there boasting about driving stoned is slim. If you want to be able to make society more tolerant of marijuana use, show them that you are a responsible user.

There very well may be a lot of people using marijuana in this state - but for the most part you won;t know who they are because they aren't making a big deal out of it. Walk around looking and acting like a pothead - and that's exactly what people will label you - a pothead. Good luck getting legislators - even liberty-minded ones - to pay attention to the epitome of a pothead.

FTL_Ian

• Golden Porcupine
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 12:26:47 pm »

No joke... drivers high on marijuana are statistically as good as or better than sober drivers.

I wouldn't recommend smoking while driving, or driving the first time one consumes marijuana, but experienced consumers have no problem. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12   Go Up