Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: There have got to be 100 job openings in Manchester  (Read 7357 times)

Quantrill

• First 1000
There have got to be 100 job openings in Manchester
« on: March 30, 2007, 09:24:12 pm »

I've only been here a few days and I've seen a LOT of help wanted signs.  Practically every auto shop is advertising.  A lot of the food shops are advertising.  And Keith Murphy's bar is looking for people.  Anyone who wants to come to NH but is worried about a job, COME NOW!  If you can't get by on 1 crappy paying job, work 2.  That's what I did to get ready for the move and I'll do it again if necessary.  WE NEED YOU GUYS/GALS HERE NOW!!!

:D

Rich T.

• FSP Participant
  • Live Free in NH!
    • NH Liberty Alliance
Re: There have got to be 100 job openings in Manchester
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 10:57:14 am »

I've only been here a few days and I've seen a LOT of help wanted signs.  Practically every auto shop is advertising.  A lot of the food shops are advertising.  And Keith Murphy's bar is looking for people.  Anyone who wants to come to NH but is worried about a job, COME NOW!

There were a few discussions about this at the Liberty Forum and elsewhere. There is an impression out there that some folks aren't moving even with available jobs. Not quite sure why. I know many of the jobs I've posted to the boards have gotten no inquiries (the recruiters repost the jobs). I've heard from other Porcupines of friends not showing up even after lining up an interview for them. Rather disappointing. Not having a job is a perfectly understandable reason not to move, but there is a lot of work out there, just waiting to be done by a Porcupine. So get over here already!

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 11:03:45 am »

There were a few discussions about this at the Liberty Forum and elsewhere. There is an impression out there that some folks aren't moving even with available jobs.

I think because people have to make the 'mental' choice that they need to move.  If you have a job and live in X place....life is comfortable... they might passively look for a job but not aggressively.  Every person that has started looking aggressively has found something. So something needs to happen to make people start to look aggressively.. Hopefully the F1K will start that switch.

I do know of about 4 people who are just waiting for their houses to sell and then they will move and look for jobs when they get here.

Ogre

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Llamas are fun!
    • Ogre's Politics and Views
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 01:16:18 pm »

Well, I'm being picky...right now.  I'm one of the "evil rich" with a high-paying job (and debts to go with it).  So I'm holding out right now for another high paying job.  HOWEVER... my house is on the market right now.  If it sells, I'll move and find a job when I get there.  In addition, I'm planning to move this year.  If I can't find something in my salary range by about August, then my salary range drops -- and it keeps dropping until I can get something and move this year! 

But good news -- I've got a phone interview Wednesday for a job in Manchester...  ;D
___
Ogre's Views:
http://www.ogresview.com

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 01:26:04 pm »

But good news -- I've got a phone interview Wednesday for a job in Manchester...  ;D
8)

mappchik

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 04:59:45 pm »

We have a house on the market, are living in a house with a lease, and my hubby's contract was just extended... again.

Timing is everything, and we need two out of the three things to line up before we make any official moving plan.

Quantrill

• First 1000
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 10:04:24 pm »

I understand everyone's situation is different.   I was procrastinating and finally said "Q, get your ass to the Liberty Forum".  So I went, lucked into  a job offer, a month later I'm in NH and yes, I still have my student loan company calling me daily asking for money but hell, I'm here now.  I'm making more money and paying less in rent. 

Life is good.
 :)

Moral of the story - GET TO NH!!!     ;D

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 06:23:56 am »

I'm one of the "evil rich" with a high-paying job (and debts to go with it).
If you have debts .... you are not rich. :-\
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi

Time to break from the Empire
NHexit

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Ogre

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Llamas are fun!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 07:37:10 am »

I realize that, but somehow that doesn't exempt me from exorbitant, punitive taxation.  :(
___
Ogre's Views:

error

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • U.S. Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 07:41:23 am »

I realize that, but somehow that doesn't exempt me from exorbitant, punitive taxation.  :(

* error waits for it.

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed..."

Ogre

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Llamas are fun!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 07:47:31 am »

How did I know that was coming?   ;)

One of the things I like about this movement is it's inclusiveness.  Everyone involved wants freedom.  I absolutely love freedom.  I completely support those who make a stand like Ed Brown.  I'll support him and defend him.  Right now, I've got a family, and I am willing to give in to the horrible tax system -- because as long as I play by their rules, I have a chance to change the rules.  I know if I become a felon, my chances of getting elected and changing the system from the inside decrease greatly.  But if I play by the rules now, I may be able to, one day, get to be one of the rulemakers -- and then I can truly fix the tax system so that everyone can enjoy freedom.  Either that or I want to be a judge so I can throw cases like Ed's out of court...
___
Ogre's Views:

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 04:10:26 pm »

You are currently financing Ed Brown's oppressors. :'(
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi

Time to break from the Empire
NHexit

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Bald Eagle

• Is it time yet?
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 12:51:51 pm »

Kate and I are going to be using PorCFest as home base for doing job interviews and looking for housing.

We're planning on moving to the Concord-and-West sort of area, and we've got a moving truck and somefriends to help us pack and move at the beginning of August.

Kate's looking pretty solid for job prospects, I still need to line some things up so that I'm not sitting on the couch drinking beer in a dirty T-shirt come mid-August.   ::)

Folks like Jack and Joel have suggested that I might get some work with them.  I'll talk to Keith and see what sort of help he needs.  I'm also going to look into teaching Organic Chemistry at NH Tech Inst.

Other than that, as long as I'm making enough money to pay my bills, pay off the little bit of debt that I have, and start saving to buy a house (and eventually a new car) I'm open to doing just about anything.

lloydbob1

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 07:22:47 pm »

"the couch drinking beer in a dirty T-shirt come mid-August"

Porch steps......the T-shirt can have 'no' arms......
Pages: [1]   Go Up