Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Places (cities) with low property taxes  (Read 11948 times)

diamondlady1025

Places (cities) with low property taxes
« on: March 27, 2007, 07:25:23 pm »

Hi All!

We are moving to NH at the end of June though in looking at houses we are finding the property taxes for a four bedroom house that we need to be WAY too much. An ideas (except for like Berlin and that far up) on cities where property taxes are lower.

Any Help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Diamondlady

FreeBoB

Re: Places (cities) with low property taxes
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 09:04:05 pm »

Hi there!

Here are the latest property tax rates for NH: http://www.nh.gov/revenue/property_tax/index.htm

"Each year the state Department of Revenue Administration equalizes the property values for every city and town.  Equalization is an adjustment of the town's local assessed values, either upward or downward, in order to approximate the full value of the town's property". (more): http://www.nh.gov/revenue/property_tax/equalization.htm

And some houses: http://www.nneren.com/

Brian

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 07:52:09 am »

We are moving to NH at the end of June though in looking at houses we are finding the property taxes for a four bedroom house that we need to be WAY too much. An ideas (except for like Berlin and that far up) on cities where property taxes are lower.

Remember: there is no sales or income tax: so add what you'd been paying for those into the mix of your cashflow.
Relative:  some states have very low taxes, some very high... folks moving from NJ see the taxes in NH as low, folks moving from one of the lower states see it as too high.
Research: Brian's linked list is a good start.  Individual houses listed will also have usually list the tax amount (or the most recent at least).
We decided that taxes in the 6000+ plus range were too high for us, and stopping looking in those towns, found something in the 4000+ range, and figure that it'll grow a bit, but hopefully stay under 5.

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 09:20:09 am »

I agree with Seth that looking at the taxes listed on the real estate listings is the best way. Just looking at the tax rates as published by the state leaves out the assessed values that your tax bill will be based on. Low tax rates don't hlep much if market values are very high. Your taxes are still up there. Look at a lot of listings and you get a good idea which towns have higher taxes.

Cathleen

Dawn

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 12:03:28 pm »

Lower taxes in Cheshire county include the town of Westmoreland, Richmond, Stoddard, Sullivan, Gilsum.

Higher taxes in Cheshire county inlcude Winchester, Surry and Keene.

Looking at the taxes on mls listings on nneren.com is the source of most of my info (with some opinion or "what I've heard" for the rest). Nneren's got a great search engine allowing you to choose # of bedrooms, baths, acreage and numerous towns to search for what you're looking for.

While the mill rate is interesting, it does not tell the whole story. Looking at comparable houses for sale in various towns tells you much more.

One thing to watch out for is that a brand new houses often show really low taxes because the most recent tax bill was just for the land (often under $1000).

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 12:09:33 pm »

The Census (www.census.gov) has data at the town level on median household real estate taxes paid in 2000. A bit outdated, but that will give you info on what people actually paid (mill rate times assessed value).
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 03:06:08 pm »

The Census (www.census.gov) has data at the town level on median household real estate taxes paid in 2000. A bit outdated, but that will give you info on what people actually paid (mill rate times assessed value).
School spending in some towns has doubled since 2000.

error

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • U.S. Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 07:29:39 pm »

Argh, please stop repeating the myth that New Hampshire has no sales tax. There most certainly is a sales tax. I should know; I'm forced to pay it all the time. What's worse, a lot of the retail places, etc., seem to think they can get away with rounding up the total amount to the nearest nickel, and thereby getting hold of some extra pennies. I want this sales tax GONE.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 07:36:10 pm »

California has sales tax and meals tax .... New Hampshire has meals tax

Is it ok if we say that NH has lower taxes than most places?

Some of us pay very little taxes.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

error

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • U.S. Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 02:13:04 am »

The rest of the country calls the tax on meals "sales tax."

A pile of shit by any other name would still smell as foul.

Joshua Zachariah

• Friend of the FSP
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 02:33:48 am »

I wish they would take away property taxes more than taking away sales tax (though I prefer both to vanish). The reason being is because without property taxes you could truly live tax-free and mostly state-free......since you can provide for yourself on your land. And of course paying taxes for something you own doesn't make much sense either.

BTW, how high are RV taxes in NH?

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 06:51:02 am »

Since I don't pay property taxes ... then I must really be free of the state. 8)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 07:41:53 am »

Argh, please stop repeating the myth that New Hampshire has no sales tax. There most certainly is a sales tax.

No, there is no General sales tax, which is what people expect and have elsewhere.  Walk into a store and buy an item, and the price is the price you pay.

On _ready-to-eat_ food, ie fast food, restaurants, etc, there is a tax, yes.  That is NOT a sales tax, it's a meals tax.
Walk into a supermarket, and you won't pay a tax on that food, so it's not a food tax.

There is also a rooms tax, paid on any hotel stay... you wouldn't call that a sales tax, so stop saying that a meals tax is a sales tax.
The 2 taxes are considered tourist taxes, in while residents might pay them at times, the average person who shops for food and eats it at home doesn't pay a "sales" tax.  Let's work toward ending the meals tax for state residents, that would be a good goal.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 07:43:36 am »

Let's work toward ending the meals tax for state residents, that would be a good goal.

Remember that is the cash cow they rely on.... first we need to limit spending...

eightiesoid

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 08:57:00 pm »

I organized the rates into a spreadsheet that you can download in Excel. Only half an hour ago, I realized that the property I was eyeing is in one of the highest taxed areas and the taxes amount to an additional $70,000 mortgage on a property in another area I am eyeing with half the tax rate albeit more expensive properties.

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=13099.0

Always think economically!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:03:41 pm by eightiesoid »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up