Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Union Leader Article  (Read 4203 times)

Rich Goldman

• FSP Participant
--
Rich Goldman
Head Organizer, PorcFest 2007 & 2008

mattbarney

• FSP Participant
  • Focused on freedom
    • Matt Barney's Personal Page
Re: Union Leader Article
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 09:26:39 am »

http://unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Free+Staters+see+gains%2c+obstacles&articleId=6c52452f-ed27-4b02-a461-90946e4216e1

Appears to be a fairly dispassionate or positive piece.  Did it reflect reality for those of you lucky porcupines who got to go?

Matt

Steve

• FSP Board Member
  • Administrator
  • La Vero vin liberigos
    • Elegant Solutions
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 10:42:36 am »

Did it reflect reality for those of you lucky porcupines who got to go?
Matt
Free Talk Live broadcast direct from the NHLF on both Friday and Saturday. I listened to their podcasts and could pretend that I was there, especially with the added dimension of Jon messaging me via GoogleTalk.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 10:45:02 am by Steve »

seamas

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 08:27:20 pm »

It was very fair piece.  I'd call the achievement of the First 1000 "a" major goal rather  than "the" major goal but that borders on a quibble and if anything is bias in the positive direction. 

The one thing that I don't think it captures is the contagious friendliness and enthusiasm of those who have moved and the benefits of getting to meet fellow Porcs in strengthening one's resolve to make the move asap.  In fairness; it's not a newspaper's job to communicate such things, nor could they do so while giving a balanced account.  Nevertheless, my experience makes me want to encourage folks to come to NH for Porc Fest or the next Liberty Forum even if (or especially if) they don't see their move as imminent. 

In terms of wanting to make the move soon, I feel more like this now than after the NYC announcement or the three PorcFests that I've attended.  Doubtless, a lot of this is due to personal factors and time allowing me to get my ducks in a row but it was more generally an especially good event both in terms of meeting people and seeing the progress that is already being made.

http://unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Free+Staters+see+gains%2c+obstacles&articleId=6c52452f-ed27-4b02-a461-90946e4216e1

Appears to be a fairly dispassionate or positive piece.  Did it reflect reality for those of you lucky porcupines who got to go?

Matt

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 11:26:40 pm »

Interesting that the online pic and the pic in the paper are different.

Online, Don Gormon in front of the NHLF sign.

In the paper:
On the front page (above the fold) is a picture of Michael Badnarik speaking with Dawn Lincoln (only the first line of the headline "Free" is above the fold).  Caption:
The 2004 Libertarian Party Presidential candidate Michael Badnarik talks to Dawn Lincoln, chairman of the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance, and her daughters Jaclyn Barry and Kelsey Barry, right.

Michael has his right arm up in the air, and clearly visible is his sidearm.  When I bought the paper (in Nashua on my way home) I was a bit mischievous, I showed the clerk the picture and asked if she'd ever seen a presidential candidate wearing a gun.  The girl almost stuttered that she hadn't and it appeared to make her a bit uncomfortable to think about.

Puke

• FSP Participant
  • "Rock on!"
    • Dooms Day Device Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 11:52:08 am »

I can't wait to see what next year will bring. It was great to be around 350 other liberty minded folks.
And I especially liked that I saw several folks carrying guns.
I want to be one of those people next year.  :)
Dooms Day Device Photography = www.dooms-day-device.com

Posterity

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 11:04:03 pm »

Interesting that the online pic and the pic in the paper are different.
Well, I think that's good news...considering that that is my bald spot visible in the online pic.

Nice article, though.
"...secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity..."

Neal Conner

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Republica Neo Hantoniensis
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 11:31:07 pm »

Michael has his right arm up in the air, and clearly visible is his sidearm.  When I bought the paper (in Nashua on my way home) I was a bit mischievous, I showed the clerk the picture and asked if she'd ever seen a presidential candidate wearing a gun.  The girl almost stuttered that she hadn't and it appeared to make her a bit uncomfortable to think about.

Ha, nice! Is there a copy of that picture online anywhere?
"To get things done, you must love the doing, not the secondary consequences. The work, not the people. Your own action, not any possible object of your charity." – Howard Roark

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 08:25:19 am »

Ha, nice! Is there a copy of that picture online anywhere?
Didn't see it.  Maybe I'll scan it . . . maybe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up