Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live Free of Thee (NH)  (Read 3182 times)

skypod

• Friend of FSP
  • BADNARIK for President!
    • Skypod.DeadBangGuns.com
Live Free of Thee (NH)
« on: July 10, 2003, 11:38:55 pm »

Live Free of Thee

1590 Broadcaster Online Editorial
Article Published: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:53:35 AM EST

http://www.1590.com/Stories/0,1413,222~23678~1505053,00.html

What would most of us find wrong with having no income taxes, no regulatory
bureaucracies and fewer laws to regulate gun control and drug use? Maybe
nothing. Maybe a lot. It all depends on our own view of reality.

But New Hampshire's "Live Free or Die" is certainly a motto that appeals to
the "Free State Project," which advocates these standards. Its members are
seeking a place with a warm, cozy political feel that they can call home,
and this state is one they're considering.

If at least 20,000 supporters have signed on by 2006, they'll all move to
the chosen state Alaska, North and South Dakota, Delaware, Montana, Idaho,
Maine and Vermont or here and work to establish their own version of a
citizen non-government in that state, working as a newly viable political
force. You know the big fish/small pond scenario. The concept works. Look
what it's done for Salt Lake City and the state of Utah.

Freedom from government, except where it's needed to protect life, liberty
and property, is the basis of the "Free Staters" movement. Proponents hope
to resettle in an independent-minded state with a "pro-liberty" culture,
jobs, coastal access and a lack of dependence on federal funding.

New Hampshire, for better or worse, welcomes rugged individualism. But
people most likely won't open their arms to welcome a political interest
group with ambitions of controlling a state that's fiercely proud of its own
differences.

There's a distasteful artificiality to this concept. Would the proud people
of New Hampshire accept a self-interested group albeit one devoted to
independent living and thinking when it's staking out a territory for
political control and thereby threatening the independence of people here
who don't happen to agree with them?

©1999-2003 by MediaNews Group, Inc.

Send your comments, problems or request for information to:

Feeback form:
http://www.1590.com/Stories/0,1413,222~23724~,00.html

Contact information:
http://www.1590.com/Stories/0,1413,222~23723~,00.html
« Last Edit: July 10, 2003, 11:39:50 pm by skypod »
Melissa Seaman - Skypod.DeadBangGuns.com
When the extraordinary becomes commonplace, that is a revolution.

freedomroad

Re:Live Free of Thee (NH)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2003, 01:26:15 am »

If at least 20,000 supporters have signed on by 2006, they'll all move to
the chosen state Alaska, North and South Dakota, Delaware, Montana, Idaho,
Maine and Vermont or here and work to establish their own version of a
citizen non-government in that state, working as a newly viable political
force. You know the big fish/small pond scenario. The concept works. Look
what it's done for Salt Lake City and the state of Utah.[/url]

Opps, the only state that was not mentioned is Wyoming.

Mickey

• Libertarian, Objectivist, head-banger
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2003, 01:34:56 am »

Opps, the only state that was not mentioned is Wyoming.

How strange...
Ubi libertas ibi patria
Where there is Liberty, there is my homeland.

EMOR

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2003, 10:22:29 am »

Live Free of Thee

1590 Broadcaster Online Editorial
Article Published: Thursday, July 10, 2003 - 11:53:35 AM EST

http://www.1590.com/Stories/0,1413,222~23678~1505053,00.html

New Hampshire, for better or worse, welcomes rugged individualism. But
people most likely won't open their arms to welcome a political interest
group with ambitions of controlling a state that's fiercely proud of its own
differences.

There's a distasteful artificiality to this concept.

©1999-2003 by MediaNews Group, Inc.

Send your comments, problems or request for information to:

Feeback form:
http://www.1590.com/Stories/0,1413,222~23724~,00.html

Contact information:
http://www.1590.com/Stories/0,1413,222~23723~,00.html
Wow, this is not a good thing if you support NH. Looks like it is time for us to explore Wyoming more.
WY>SD>AK>VT>ND>DE>MT>ID>NH>ME

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2003, 10:37:58 am »

C'mon... Even most of that article was good.... The Nashua Telegraph (which had formerly written one of the few articles opposed to us) just wrote a good article about us, the Posrtsmouth Herald (which had never written about us before) just wrote a good article about us yesterday (will post up soon), and compared to the tremendous positive media coverage we have gotten, one paper asking if such an independent minded people as Granite Staters can be convinced by the FSP is HARDLY a reaon to consider another state.

It is a GREAT sign that 36% of the voter base is Independent... It means that percentage of NH voters don't have any party loyalty to get over. ;) Many, man people automatically vote the D or R straight ticket vote - 36% of the independent minded NH voters don't do that....

ANOTHER NH advantage!
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

Sebastian

• FSP Participant
  • Elderado
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2003, 10:58:01 am »

New Hampshire, for better or worse, welcomes rugged individualism. But people most likely won't open their arms to welcome a political interest group with ambitions of controlling a state that's fiercely proud of its own differences.
+
Wow, this is not a good thing if you support NH. Looks like it is time for us to explore Wyoming more.
(sarcasm on) Yes, I'm sure Wyoming will open their arms to welcome a political interest group with ambitions of controlling a state that's fiercely proud of its own differences. (sarcasm off)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2003, 10:58:28 am by Sebastian »
Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for yourself.

EMOR

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2003, 11:50:41 am »

New Hampshire, for better or worse, welcomes rugged individualism. But people most likely won't open their arms to welcome a political interest group with ambitions of controlling a state that's fiercely proud of its own differences.
+
(sarcasm on) Yes, I'm sure Wyoming will open their arms to welcome a political interest group with ambitions of controlling a state that's fiercely proud of its own differences. (sarcasm off)
You actually don't get my point? It is that the media is already painting us in a bad light in NH. Unless you are of the mind that all publicity good or bad is a benefit.

Read:There's a distasteful artificiality to this concept
WY>SD>AK>VT>ND>DE>MT>ID>NH>ME

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2003, 12:04:02 pm »

There's a distasteful artificiality to this concept. Would the proud people of New Hampshire accept a self-interested group albeit one devoted to independent living and thinking when it's staking out a territory for political control and thereby threatening the independence of people here who don't happen to agree with them?

The only problem with this story is that when it comes a few FSPers, it's telling the TRUTH!

Zack, for example, promotes a complete brute force takeover of the state by sheer numbers alone.  I VERY STRONGLY disagree with this concept.

I've seen Elizabeth on TV stating that we are only going to move a bunch of people to a state and see what happens, and that we have no plans yet whatsoever.  This is the correct approach to the issue of a fear of outside takeover.

Tell the media that we're just a bunch of liberty-minded people who want to move to a state where we will be more free and where we will be more effective, on an individual basis, in our political activism.

The FSP Statement of Intent never says anything about an organized takeover.  It actually seems to be advocating a more individual approach to our political activism, and THAT is what we should be telling people.

Sure, I'm trying to become organized in order to influence others in the target state, just like I currently do in my own state.  Why should people fear a bunch of independent activists who just want to make individual contributions to change?
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

RhythmStar

• FSP Participant
  • Imagine there's no Heaven.
    • RhythmStar Records
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2003, 12:54:58 pm »

We need to do everything we can to press our positive message.  At the same time, we need to be able to have a thick, porcupine skin, because some writers will want to poke us with sharp sticks.  Some might even go so far as to misrepresent us, hoping to get the Libertarian Macho Flash response, so they can discredit the movement.

One way to start defusing critics and alarmists might be to praise the virtues of the chosen state with some press releases and public appearances.  Tell 'em how much we love 'em and how we want to put all our energy into helping them make (state) into the free-est, most prosperous state in the Union.  DO NOT immediately start attacking the state house or the state residents, as criticisms levelled with the benefit of firsthand knowlege will hold more water anyway.

Patience will be a major virtue!

RS
Irony is the innate perversity of circumstance. -- William House

MajesticLeo

• FSP Participant
  • Am neither Dahlai nor Lama
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2003, 01:02:11 pm »

AH yes!!! I get it.  Now instead of the unassuming Porcupine ambling along minding his own business we will become the  Slick Willie Weasel, ingratiating ourselves with the original people until we can stick it to them???   Boy, that doesn't sound too cool.
I'm off to be the Wizard!!!!

LeRuineur6

• FSP Participant
  • Act decisively. Without reserve!
    • Liberty Scholarship Fund
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2003, 01:21:32 pm »

AH yes!!! I get it.  Now instead of the unassuming Porcupine ambling along minding his own business we will become the  Slick Willie Weasel, ingratiating ourselves with the original people until we can stick it to them???  Boy, that doesn't sound too cool.

That's not what he implied.

You just have to avoid the possibility of thousands of Porcupines moving into the same state at the same time, flooding all local newspapers with letters to the editor full of anti-government, anti-statist sentiment.

I personally do that here in Vermont and I'm sure all the statists hate me, but I'll just avoid doing it in our target state for a few years and instead focus only on positive activism such as promoting charitable giving, joining a local activist organization, and Getting Out the Vote.
Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi

Sebastian

• FSP Participant
  • Elderado
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2003, 01:43:43 pm »

You actually don't get my point? It is that the media is already painting us in a bad light in NH.
Bad light?
Freedom from government, except where it's needed to protect life, liberty and property, is the basis of the "Free Staters" movement.
Bad light?
+
Would the proud people of New Hampshire accept a self-interested group albeit one devoted to independent living and thinking when it's staking out a territory for political control and thereby threatening the independence of people here who don't happen to agree with them?
I'd hope that the media in every state is able to look at the issue this way. "Yeah, it's a good idea, this FSP, but there may be some problems to overcome." Trying to turn this into "New Hampshire media is already painting FSP in bad light" seems pointless.
Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for yourself.

RhythmStar

• FSP Participant
  • Imagine there's no Heaven.
    • RhythmStar Records
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2003, 08:13:04 pm »

AH yes!!! I get it.  Now instead of the unassuming Porcupine ambling along minding his own business we will become the  Slick Willie Weasel, ingratiating ourselves with the original people until we can stick it to them???   Boy, that doesn't sound too cool.

That impression lives in your mind alone from my perspective.  ???

As individuals, we should do whatever comes natural, EXCEPT presuming to speak for all without the consent of all.  Capiche?

As an organization, we need to find our voice and use it strategically.  No successful political movement has ever failed to do the latter.

RS
Irony is the innate perversity of circumstance. -- William House
Pages: [1]   Go Up